What's new
The regular analog I/O had quite a few revisions.. I will wait a while before getting a MiSterCade.

The regular analog I/O had quite a few revisions.. I will wait a while before getting a MiSterCade.
The testing / QA team for the MiSterCade is pretty extensive. Quite a number of A-P forum members are testing at the moment, and we're onto the 3rd and 4th (released) Beta boards, with many iterations in between. I give @misteraddons much respect for undertaking such a tedious process behind the scenes before releasing to the public. He's very astute when it comes to getting things perfect, and I can appreciate that coming from a QA background myself.

The private beta tester discord has covered (and continues to cover) many issues cab users and novices will face. Believe me, it's going to be an extremely well polished product from the drop. There's a lot of stuff and add ons that haven't been leaked out there yet. It's going to be bliss if you're trying to get this MiSTer onto arcade with lots of additional uses and benefits.

What kinda resolutions will the mistercade support? Obviously 15khz, but will it be usable on 24khz and 31khz arcade monitors as well? Not sure the mister supports any arcade games that utilize those higher resolution monitors, but eventually I think it will get there.

The MiSTerCade basically has the I/O and USB hub built into it. So there's the "VGA" port, that you can output directly from and it would support the native resolution of the core.

it's worth noting that freesync/gsync isn't required to run the game in single buffer mode (which is good because aside from lag, the stuttering is particularly noticeable in ddp), i've had luck with most lcd monitors I've owned supporting weird refresh rates but your mileage may vary. Freesync just keeps the mister from dropping sync when changing modes. when in doubt, keep an alt config with the other buffering mode

@djsheep could you use an analog capture device and a hdmi capture device simultaneously? To two PCs. Like the elgato stuff. Or are the refresh rates all wrong for those devices?

I haven’t tested the capture functions yet. Will report back when I do. I’m sure results will vary depending on your capture card.

I haven’t tested the capture functions yet. Will report back when I do. I’m sure results will vary depending on your capture card.
Most swear by the datapath for the retro stuff. I still just have a elgato card that I used to capture console stuff. Whatever you have would be interested to hear back about your findings.

Most swear by the datapath for the retro stuff. I still just have a elgato card that I used to capture console stuff. Whatever you have would be interested to hear back about your findings.
I’m still rocking the elgato Game Capture HD, and have had random issues with original consoles.

So it’s not as straight forward as @atrac17 suggests. Will report findings when I get a chance.

I’m still rocking the elgato Game Capture HD, and have had random issues with original consoles.

So it’s not as straight forward as @atrac17 suggests. Will report findings when I get a chance.
Right, I was just referring to the fact that you can utilize both video outputs for capture simultaneously. I don't know much about elgato. I rock a datapath. I might have misunderstood the question.

edit: You can also output different refresh rates from the scaler while analogue is locked to the original refresh rate.

PXL_20210202_050739271.jpg

Last edited:
Being frustrated with the input system of Mister, I reached out to Jotego with a feature/clarification request and got his back

"
MiSTer does some remapping if asked for (and sometimes without being asked for). But my cores do support standard MAME inputs, albeit only three buttons so far. I was asked a while ago to add the other three buttons (the so-called kick harness) but I didn't give it priority. The standard MAME inputs are processed independently of MiSTer settings in my cores, by the way.

I will add support for it for this week's release.
"
This could potentially solve a lot of problems for a lot of users, I really want this stuff to be plug & play and will do what I can on my end. I added a 'mister shift' mode to issue F12 instead of tab so you can switch cores etc without going through all the hoopla to get it working.

Day by day my interest in a MiSTer grows. I love my Neo Geo and my CPS 2 Darksoft setup but the idea of having a little FPGA box next to my 4K ready to play whenever is very appealing

Day by day my interest in a MiSTer grows. I love my Neo Geo and my CPS 2 Darksoft setup but the idea of having a little FPGA box next to my 4K ready to play whenever is very appealing
Yeah, I don't think MiSTer is 100% there yet, but it's close enough if you're into arcade games and much closer if you're into 16bit console games. I like having options, after all...

There is no wrong way to enjoy video games, well, no wrong way unless you 16:9 4:3 games, then you're doing the one wrong thing, but other than that, there is no wrong way.

Yeah, I don't think MiSTer is 100% there yet, but it's close enough if you're into arcade games and much closer if you're into 16bit console games. I like having options, after all...

There is no wrong way to enjoy video games, well, no wrong way unless you 16:9 4:3 games, then you're doing the one wrong thing, but other than that, there is no wrong way.
Ordered the parts. I want to a) play around with it on YT and b) lately dragging my Darksoft CPS 2 with my supergun to the living room means half the time I get lazy and don’t do it.

also because it’s an electronic toy and it’s shiny and I covet shiny electronics lol

Ordered the parts. I want to a) play around with it on YT and b) lately dragging my Darksoft CPS 2 with my supergun to the living room means half the time I get lazy and don’t do it.

also because it’s an electronic toy and it’s shiny and I covet shiny electronics lol
If you decide to make any videos on this lemme know :)

Specifically interested in an Updated list of everything you can play with just the base board and how you can get it running out of the box.

If you decide to make any videos on this lemme know :)

Specifically interested in an Updated list of everything you can play with just the base board and how you can get it running out of the box.
If you buy it from misteraddons.com he mails it with a preconfigured SD card included. All you have to do is run the update script and you're good to go after you add your ROMs. If you add the "update all" script, it will even auto download all the files you need. All the files. No other user input needed, it's pretty turn key.

Back