What's new
I get it. At my last job, the devs were non-stop “feature creepers”. Really bogged down the testing process as with every new feature related or not, new bugs were introduced :/

Tonight I’ll be showcasing the MiSTerCade Remote board on-stream if anyone is curious. This thing is awesome, gives you a bit more operational control over the MiSTer.
6D6F1DFC-49DB-436F-9CAD-4FC7CCDAA853.jpeg

Stream starts at 10pm PST. Sorry Midwest and East coast peeps for the late night westcoast stream!

View: https://www.twitch.tv/gillaxian

YES!

I have used the Zapper, Menacer, Light Phaser, Super Scope and Justifier with the SNAC on the remote.

Pretty awesome playing Lethal Enforcers on Mega CD on a cab, I recommend it :)

@misteraddons - (to-be-named) Consolized MiSTer announced: https://misteraddons.com/blogs/news/time-flies-when-youre-having-fun

Biggest bonus of this one for me is the inclusion of a 2.5" SATA mount which will be helpful when the PS1 and Saturn cores finally get released. I like the minimal design too :)

The 4 x USB ports in the front is also welcoming for fight sticks, especially when cores like TMNT, X-Men and Simpsons come to fruition!

Untitled_presentation-2_600x600.png

Screen_Shot_2021-09-23_at_10.27.18_AM_600x600.png

Screen_Shot_2021-09-23_at_10.28.55_AM_600x600.png

Last edited:
DBF48CB5-402A-46B6-A5A0-285F4CE0EB07.jpeg

Useful diagram above if anyone wants to build their own VGA to SCART cable for their MiSTer.

Are there recommended DSub to component cable for the MiSTer? I see that misteraddons has a cable, but I have no idea how good it is. Is it any good? When it comes to quality cables for arcade PCBs, everyone seems to recommend HDRetrovision, Retro-Access, Insurrection etc. But when it came to MiSTer, just generic cable is ever mentioned. Does no one care about using quality cables for MiSTer or am I missing something? I don't think HDRetrovision or Insurrection carries it. RA might be able to do it with custom cables, but they disable it when it's not time to order, so I can't check to see if it's possible.

While not YPbPr, I have used a generic VGA-BNC cable without video quality issues (tried it with OSSC and RetroTink5x) that I could tell. Never cut one of them open, but it could be they're already shielded well.

If so, maybe the same applies to Dsub-YPbPr cables?

Could be. But I find it curious that the MiSTer is known for it's accuracy, so you'd think people scrutinize and pixel peeping over an arcade PCB or consoles with RGB mod, would do the same for MiSTer. Not so, just generic cables.

Agree. I had troubles finding an actual SCART cable originally. Not much info or sellers were out there. Seems like direct BNC connections are preferred for some reason and cheaply made cables. Nah, not for me. I use a SCART switch and also want decent shielding.

There’s cables for MiSTer from RGC now: https://www.retrogamingcables.co.uk/analogue-nt-mini-rgb-scart-cable-packapunch?search=Mister

I settled with (and can highly recommend) the Tim Worthington VGA2SCART 2.0 adapter. This thing works a treat! I believe @evilsim can help you out procuring one if anyone needs. That’s where I bought mine.

I like that you began your post with a "how dare you" start xD I was like really... xD

Cool tests @Murray — worth pushing these issues to the individual cores git repositories.

Also there’s multiple GnG cores, ported ones and the JT one. I recommend the JT one of course…

Last edited:
Nice testing!

Yes Bubble Bobble is wildly inaccurate, don't believe spiraling bubbles is working in the intro.

There has been some issues with which versions to use. If you use the standard updater script you will get an old GnG, you need the one from the JT pack.

Nice testing!

Yes Bubble Bobble is wildly inaccurate, don't believe spiraling bubbles is working in the intro.

There has been some issues with which versions to use. If you use the standard updater script you will get an old GnG, you need the one from the JT pack.
There’s also the star field in Strider which I believe will be fixed as the chips been decapped now :)

I'll have to check which one i'm using.
I'm new to Mister and learning how to get it all set up myself, but from conversations with one of the devs helping out on this stuff I think an easy way to check is to go into the GnG dip switch settings. If you can turn on free play and turn demo sounds off you have the proper updated one, if you can't it's the old one. I still have the old one and was frustrated with the options not matching the real board, but then was told it's been fixed and I just need to update.

Agree. I had troubles finding an actual SCART cable originally. Not much info or sellers were out there. Seems like direct BNC connections are preferred for some reason and cheaply made cables. Nah, not for me. I use a SCART switch and also want decent shielding.

There’s cables for MiSTer from RGC now: https://www.retrogamingcables.co.uk/analogue-nt-mini-rgb-scart-cable-packapunch?search=Mister

I settled with (and can highly recommend) the Tim Worthington VGA2SCART 2.0 adapter. This thing works a treat! I believe @evilsim can help you out procuring one if anyone needs. That’s where I bought mine.
Thanks for the link. But I'm looking for component on the CRT end, not SCART. Does the BNC cable go to the same pins on the dsub side? So it's just a matter of MiSTer switching to component out instead of RGB? Probably not.

Back