What's new
@rcboosted I know that Component out is possible, but I am strictly SCART here. Perhaps the MiSTer forums have info? Report back if you find out.

Are there recommended DSub to component cable for the MiSTer? I see that misteraddons has a cable, but I have no idea how good it is. Is it any good? When it comes to quality cables for arcade PCBs, everyone seems to recommend HDRetrovision, Retro-Access, Insurrection etc. But when it came to MiSTer, just generic cable is ever mentioned. Does no one care about using quality cables for MiSTer or am I missing something? I don't think HDRetrovision or Insurrection carries it. RA might be able to do it with custom cables, but they disable it when it's not time to order, so I can't check to see if it's possible.
When I was connecting mister via component to crt, I used these: https://www.amazon.com/Monoprice-HD-15-Video-Cable-Monitor/dp/B001UJMGZC/ref=sr_1_4?dchild=1&keywords=vga+rgb+cable&qid=1632578285&sr=8-4

Then just get some bnc to rca adapter plugs. Connect to your mister io board, flip the SoG switch, edit the mister.ini file and you should be good to go ;)

When I was connecting mister via component to crt, I used these: https://www.amazon.com/Monoprice-HD-15-Video-Cable-Monitor/dp/B001UJMGZC/ref=sr_1_4?dchild=1&keywords=vga+rgb+cable&qid=1632578285&sr=8-4

Then just get some bnc to rca adapter plugs. Connect to your mister io board, flip the SoG switch, edit the mister.ini file and you should be good to go ;)
Ah, so that answers the RGB and component wiring question, they're the same. The question of why there are't fully shielded cables for MiSTer or the lack of interest in "demanding" such cable remains. Maybe because Bob said any generic cable is good enough. Why fully shielded cable are so sought after for PCB and RGB modded consoles, I'll never know. I mean, there are fierce debates on shielding, shielding type, and proper termination on them. MiSTer cable? Crickets. Makes you wonder what those debates really have perceptible difference, maybe all we needed were just good enough cables, but all the ones available for RGB were complete garbage, so community came out with better ones.

Using your link, I found this instead, seems to fit my set up for now. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001O8C6HM

Last edited:
I thought having audio and video signals mixed is when a lot of the interference starts. If you keep them separated, like with these cheap cables, maybe it's not an issue?

But a problem that could happen for some without reading up is that the sync levels could be incompatible with your equipment.

From the MiSTer wiki https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Main_MiSTer/wiki/Direct-Video:
DISCLAIMER: Please be aware that many VGA DACs may output a sync signal at 3 volts or more on pin 13 (HSYNC/CSYNC) even when being used in Direct Video mode! You will need a 470 ohm resistor on the corresponding SCART sync pin to attenuate this signal to levels that are safe for all video equipment. A variety of professional video equipment can have wide tolerances for higher voltage sync signals but other devices, especially external scalers like the OSSC or XRGB Mini Framemeister, can be worn out and reduced to a non-working state by repeated use with higher-voltage sync signals. Unless you are 100% certain your equipment can tolerate higher voltage signals, it is strongly recommended that you either purchase a cable that has a 470 ohm resistor inline or add one yourself. Retro Access MiSTer SCART cables, for example, come with a resistor inline by default.

Maybe it's just me, but I find it pretty weird that's not listed on the analog IO board page. But then again, that wiki is a bit of a mess. Or at least when I try to find anything on it.

I thought having audio and video signals mixed is when a lot of the interference starts. If you keep them separated, like with these cheap cables, maybe it's not an issue?

But a problem that could happen for some without reading up is that the sync levels could be incompatible with your equipment.

From the MiSTer wiki https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Main_MiSTer/wiki/Direct-Video:

Maybe it's just me, but I find it pretty weird that's not listed on the analog IO board page. But then again, that wiki is a bit of a mess. Or at least when I try to find anything on it.
I can test the voltage on pin 13 when I get my IO board, it'll be directly off the VGA connector. I don't have a vga to scart to test on the scart side.

Likely a dumb question, but is there any way of (easily) getting the neo geo games (a) into the arcade list and (b) to appear as individual games?

Likely a dumb question, but is there any way of (easily) getting the neo geo games (a) into the arcade list and (b) to appear as individual games?
No, because Neogeo is implemented as a console so you have to boot console and load game.

Been sitting patiently on this and glad it's finally announced: https://twitter.com/MisterAddons/status/1443637141595033606

The "MiSTercade VS" board allows you to use 2+ cabinets with just 1 x MiSTercade.

You just daisy chain 1 or more VS boards (which just has a JAMMA edge and connects cabinets with 1 x HDMI cable and 1 x Mini USB cable).

This opens up the doors for those with 1P cabinets to link fighting games, also for 3 Player games, upcoming 4 Player games, etc.

There's lots of use cases for this one, I hope some of you are hyped for this! Lots of videos and more info on the Twitter link above with more MiSTercade announcements in the pipeline.

oldproto.jpg

Once MiSTer gets some of those Konami games locked in..
Yeah, this is a cool feature, that's kind of only really useful for CPS2 games for the most part. The truth is the Mister arcade library isn't particularly deep with awesome multiplayer games. Or deep at all for that matter.

But I'm definitely a fan of linking cabs.

I disagree. It might only be useful only for CPS-2 games in your interest sphere. But there’s so many other use cases for different people out there.

Think of all the multiplayer console games, Neo Geo, light gun games and numerous other 2P games like the CPS-1 and 1.5 beat ‘em ups, etc.

And whist I totally dislike 2P in shmups, for people that do. This is a nice product.

Question for the MiSTer owners - what is the theoretical limit of the FPGA hardware being used? I've seen rumors but I'm curious what this community thinks specifically about arcade cores. CPS3? ST-V? Capcom/Sony ZN boards? For arcade purposes, is the CPS2 the tippity top of what we can realistically expect from the unit? Thoughts? Cheers.

Good question @BigSchmid.

I think ST-V would logically be more possible after Saturn.

I highly doubt CPS-3, CV1K and Sony ZN boards will ever make it. People are so thirsty and begging non stop for the first two, but yeah, if I had to bet on it, I don't see it ever happening. Gotta be realistic. I think it will top out at Saturn and PS1. There's no way you're seeing PS2, Dreamcast or anything from that era.

I have almost zero interest in the MiSTer for console and computer cores. I collect physical media for my consoles..but with arcade games, I think the MiSTer has an insane amount of value for those cores provided it's not just Jotego adding to the community here in the coming years. My worry is that the demand for cores and information for arcade enhancements on FPGA can never be met with simple man power. Which sorta leaves me wondering about Pi setups and stuff because there will be a limit to what can be done and then it will be up to us to figure out how best to enjoy the cores that can't make it to the MiSTer.

I'm just happy with the MiSTer for what it is. Truth be told, even if that little thing ran just the Cave core, I'd still be happy with what I spent on it.

I'm not banking on it cataloging every single arcade game ever made. For what it is, it's VERY good value. But there's also MAME, PCs, RPi's etc. that are useful in different applications. Best anyone can do is find what they like or need and just get on it :)

I disagree. It might only be useful only for CPS-2 games in your interest sphere. But there’s so many other use cases for different people out there.
For sure, this is only my opinion of course. But right now outside of fighting games the multiplayer games that would get people hyped up for this feature aren't there, in my mind.

Porkchop would be able to cut one hell of a promo if he could run 6 player X-Men across several cabs for instance. :D

I hear ya. When that Konami core happens, at least it's ready and waiting for you :)

The beauty of it all is being able to run with 2P cabs, or 1P cabs at ease. All you need is two cables and a VS adapter per cabinet. The controller on the board automatically maps the player to button press, just like multiple USB sticks on a standalone MiSTer!

Unreleated, but how spoiled, entitled and demanding is the MiSTer community though? I find it somewhat toxic and politely mute most peeps on Twitter. It's just "gimme, gimme, gimme", "i want this now", "cps3!", "mortal kombat!", "WHEN?". A few years ago, I woulda geeked out at linking two cabs for just one fighting game or having a box with fairly accurate anything. How far we've come, but also how spoiled we've been. It's good to step back and appreciate what we have for what it is.

Back