What's new
Unreleated, but how spoiled, entitled and demanding is the MiSTer community though? I find it somewhat toxic and politely mute most peeps on Twitter. It's just "gimme, gimme, gimme", "i want this now", "cps3!", "mortal kombat!", "WHEN?". A few years ago, I woulda geeked out at linking two cabs for just one fighting game or having a box with fairly accurate anything. How far we've come, but also how spoiled we've been. It's good to step back and appreciate what we have for what it is.
I see both sides of this. Being entitled or demanding is never a good look, won't defend it.

But I think there's no question without CPS1 and CPS2 cores the whole project, on the arcade side, would be more neat than useful. So people are hungry for a little more potential to be realized. They could be more chill about it, but that's Twitter and the internet for you I guess. I think a lot of it is excitement, and meant to be positive.

I saw Shodokan reply to that tweet about wanting CPS3. He's one of the more technical Third Strike players in the US, he's definitely excited about the prospect of a low input lag, accurate arcade port. He's someone who would take advantage of every little nook and cranny of accuracy if it happened, he loves exploring Yun tech. I hope he gets it some day.

Linking two cabs is sick! I've had linked cabs for years, so if I'm not geeking out it's because it's normal to me to have it, and the regular way with linking jamma cabs works fine with Mistercade, I've tested it already. More solutions for linking is great though, I'm all for it. It's the only way to play fighting games in my opinion once you're used to it.

Nice one @Aurich — as we’ve discussed on discord, there is a bit of a flood of older arcade games and perhaps a disconnect with the core developers and what people actually want. The mid-90’s/2000 stuff is where it’s at IMO.

It seems people/patrons expect cores weekly when I’m sure there’s a percentage of people who would forgo that and wait for a few months instead for a solid core like Konami, PGM, MK Midway etc. — people should be speaking up on this more to let the powers that be know!

The Cave core is great, dude takes his sweet time but the rewards are always appreciated and value adding to the MiSTer project overall.

people should be speaking up on this more to let the powers that be know!
This is the balance though, right? You can look at all these Twitter replies hype for MK as a good way to show there's a support base for it. Or they can come off annoying and like they're demanding. I think you have to try and see them as excited and be patient, but I get it, can still be annoying.

I'd be hype for MK! It's one of those games that I love, but in a non-serious way, it's so janky. And the boards are getting pricey, and are a bit of a pain to deal with. Perfect use of something like Mistercade for me.

And yeah, the Konami stuff, if you had TMNT I think you'd see way more interest suddenly in linking cabs. To an extent, let's remember only so many people have multiple jamma cabs just sitting around waiting to be linked lol. But in this forum? Not that rare.

Been sitting patiently on this and glad it's finally announced: https://twitter.com/MisterAddons/status/1443637141595033606

The "MiSTercade VS" board allows you to use 2+ cabinets with just 1 x MiSTercade.

You just daisy chain 1 or more VS boards (which just has a JAMMA edge and connects cabinets with 1 x HDMI cable and 1 x Mini USB cable).

This opens up the doors for those with 1P cabinets to link fighting games, also for 3 Player games, upcoming 4 Player games, etc.

There's lots of use cases for this one, I hope some of you are hyped for this! Lots of videos and more info on the Twitter link above with more MiSTercade announcements in the pipeline.

oldproto.jpg
Instant purchase for me, damn this is super cool~

I hear ya. When that Konami core happens, at least it's ready and waiting for you :)

The beauty of it all is being able to run with 2P cabs, or 1P cabs at ease. All you need is two cables and a VS adapter per cabinet. The controller on the board automatically maps the player to button press, just like multiple USB sticks on a standalone MiSTer!

Unreleated, but how spoiled, entitled and demanding is the MiSTer community though? I find it somewhat toxic and politely mute most peeps on Twitter. It's just "gimme, gimme, gimme", "i want this now", "cps3!", "mortal kombat!", "WHEN?". A few years ago, I woulda geeked out at linking two cabs for just one fighting game or having a box with fairly accurate anything. How far we've come, but also how spoiled we've been. It's good to step back and appreciate what we have for what it is.
You can do 4p with 2x2p cabs with the VS addon it sounds like?

this will be awesome when its done
You say coming soon, but all indications is that it's a ways off. Last I heard from the community they had barely gotton Bug! to work on Saturn. Isn't "coming soon" disingenuous or is there an official statement from the developers saying it's coming soon?

You say coming soon, but all indications is that it's a ways off. Last I heard from the community they had barely gotton Bug! to work on Saturn. Isn't "coming soon" disingenuous or is there an official statement from the developers saying it's coming soon?
I think soon is subjective? Six months seems soon? My guess is we will be playing one in the next six months

I love, play and own many original consoles but if I’m sitting down and don’t want to commit time to any certain game, MiSTer is my go to. I have two in my cabs and a stand-alone for the PVM… somewhat a hefty investment but compared to PCBs these days it’s really nothing.

I doubt many Mister users have LS-30 rotary sticks for Heavy Barrel. Bad Dudes is probably better known as a meme these days, but decent enough game. The difference between 1988 and 1989 is kinda big when it comes to the genre though. Heavyweights like TMNT and Final Fight dropped that year and upped the bar.

I have nostalgia for playing Robocop, that one I'd be down to load up.

I'm personally in the camp that would rather see less frequency of releases for better choices, but I'm not at the director Patreon level, so ... :P

Dual-stick support has just been added to the MiSTer so I imagine that they plan on having Heavy Barrel aim with the second stick, just like the SNK Collection that came out for consoles a year ago.

Maybe the core will support button mapping for aim rotation too...will be interesting to see.

Back