What's new
I've run the beta through Mistercade on a cab for people who own the PCB, they did not notice anything that extreme. There have been debates over subtle things, is there different slowdown etc, but nothing like what you're describing.

This is one problem with Mister, it's kind of a mess as far as hardware configs go. People aren't all testing on standardized setups, so it's hard to know sometimes if issues reported are in the core or the personal hardware config. I know that Pr4mod said his cores are sensitive to good memory, and it's possible you're seeing performance issues from that.
It’s tested memory from ultimate mister, but I can’t state if that is good enough or not. Other than that it’s the jamma expander to run it in my cab. I have the pcb, it was a few months since I played it but those things stood out to me at least.

I know that Pr4mod said his cores are sensitive to good memory, and it's possible you're seeing performance issues from that.

Pr4m0d's Raizing Core is so early in the development it's pretty much par for the course similar to other cores from Josh "Cave", Jotego's CPS1,2, which all experienced some form of similar memory latency issues during beta. It will be optimized as that core matures. He's made progress for sure with the latest updates. It's not forever damned to require specific SDRAM. Been working with him on the back end testing.

Mind you I've got 5 misters running at home, with three on Mistercades all purchsed from Porckchop with the latest hardware, one out of five has that weird memory issue. Tested the ram with a couple test for hours at a time with no issues. It will get resolved.

Pr4m0d's Raizing Core is so early in the development it's pretty much par for the course similar to other cores from Josh "Cave", Jotego's CPS1,2, which all experienced some form of similar memory latency issues during beta. It will be optimized as that core matures. He's made progress for sure with the latest updates. It's not forever damned to require specific SDRAM. Been working with him on the back end testing.

Mind you I've got 5 misters running at home, with three on Mistercades all purchsed from Porckchop with the latest hardware, one out of five has that weird memory issue. Tested the ram with a couple test for hours at a time with no issues. It will get resolved.
Glad to hear that things are worked on and will improve. Hopefully it was just the memory module support like you state and that’s why it seems so different for me on the performance part at least

I know pr4 has plans to release the source code in the next week to Atrac and Darren to build on top of. He actually went above and beyond his original intention for the core. It seems he had a couple goals with Raizing Core, he wanted to learn about Mister core development which he accomplished, another driver was to provide an alternative way to enjoy Bakraid and Batrider without the expensive cost of the original PCB. Pra4 is definitely grateful everyone is enjoying and discovering these games from his extensive hardwork.

It will be optimized as that core matures. He's made progress for sure with the latest updates.
When he started I won't say I was skeptical, just you know, didn't get my hopes up. For just Batrider.

Now look at what he's accomplished. Super awesome work, and all because he felt like it, hasn't even taken Patreon money like Josh or Jotego. Just don't want that lost in the discussion, he deserves huge props for all this effort.

Been working with him on the back end testing.
Nice, thanks for helping out. I don't feel like we're always grateful enough in this hobby for people's work. I appreciate it.

one out of five has that weird memory issue.
Weird. But really speaks to my point, we're in the land of cobbled together solutions. This FPGA stuff is slick, but it's not standardized or really bullet proof yet. Just gotta make sure you don't take your personal experience as gospel when it comes to this, always a chance you've got a specific issue.

I'm not saying I don't believe people when they say they experience stuff. Just don't find it likely for instance that the CPS2 core drops inputs. I think as a collective we'd be sensitive to major issues like that.

Edit:

You posted this while I was typing

I know pr4 has plans to release the source code in the next week to Atrac and Darren to build on top of. He actually went above and beyond his original intention for the core. It seems he had a couple goals with Raizing Core, he wanted to learn about Mister core development which he accomplished, another driver was to provide an alternative way to enjoy Bakraid and Batrider without the expensive cost of the original PCB. Pra4 is definitely grateful everyone is enjoying and discovering these games from his extensive hardwork.

We're all winning here, that's great.

When he started I won't say I was skeptical, just you know, didn't get my hopes up. For just Batrider.

Now look at what he's accomplished. Super awesome work, and all because he felt like it, hasn't even taken Patreon money like Josh or Jotego. Just don't want that lost in the discussion, he deserves huge props for all this effort.

Nice, thanks for helping out. I don't feel like we're always grateful enough in this hobby for people's work. I appreciate it.

Weird. But really speaks to my point, we're in the land of cobbled together solutions. This FPGA stuff is slick, but it's not standardized or really bullet proof yet. Just gotta make sure you don't take your personal experience as gospel when it comes to this, always a chance you've got a specific issue.

I'm not saying I don't believe people when they say they experience stuff. Just don't find it likely for instance that the CPS2 core drops inputs. I think as a collective we'd be sensitive to major issues like that.

Edit:

You posted this while I was typing

We're all winning here, that's great.

Yea I think many people were skeptical including myself. haha. Once Pr4 shared his story with me, it made sense as a "new" Mister dev without any other releases taking on a beloved arcade stack.

You're totally on point with configs! Especially in the mister scene with all these variations and lack of a single QA (Not saying there's no QA, but lack of a single product lifecycle accountable for the all the gear) I feel with JT, that man deserves tremendous respect, you mentioned earlier he has an absolute attention of detail and dedication is outstanding. I want to say input latency was considered as a a requirement during beta. it's been a while it's kinda hazy haha.

My assist with Pr4 is just testing and giving feedback based on the issue i reported. Not a big deal, i just want it to be smooth for everyone, even those that say "it works for them, it's not an issue", for sure someone may experience it. I'm that prime example with the core working for most of my gear. I'm glad to be able to identify an issue. As a community we're all willing to help for the greater good. That's the awesome part.

It sounds like we're on borrowed time with solving issues with Raizing core. Pr4 is working his best to solve a lot of the issues before he shares the source. after it will be up to the community to continue the work. Maybe things change and pr4 sticks around. I hope he does.

I dug out my streaming gear and recorded a back-to-back run of Armed Police Batrider PCB & Mister. I put the videos side-by-side for comparison:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V9ZpQiy4930

I think the Mister version is very playable as-is. It feels like it has extra slowdown and reduced input delay which makes it a slightly easier experience. I think it makes enough difference to a serious score-chaser that the scores are probably not comparable, but for 90% of players out there it's wonderful. Hopefully someone can continue to refine the core to make it even better.

Last edited:
I dug out my streaming gear and recorded a back-to-back run of Armed Police Batrider PCB & Mister. I put the videos side-by-side for comparison:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V9ZpQiy4930

I think the Mister version is very playable as-is. It feels like it has extra slowdown and reduced input delay which makes it a slightly easier experience. I think it makes enough difference to a serious score-chaser that the scores are probably not comparable, but for 90% of players out there it's wonderful. Hopefully someone can continue to refine the core to make it even better.
Awesome work, so what’s your impression? It’s hard to always get the same feeling from a video than playing but the first helicopter after the street and the cars driving by horizontally felt like a choppy mess on mister for me while it feels quite smooth on the pcb. Just as an early example

Awesome play @jepjepjep and thanks for actually contributing science instead of essays with hearsay.

The audio seems really off on the MiSTer... just listening back-to-back 10 seconds at a time in the first 2 minutes reveals so many inconsistencies.

The colours are way off too, does that have to do with your capture chain or did you notice it in your cab/supergun doing plays between PCB to MiSTer?

I’m just glad someone took the effort to show I wasn’t lying 😅 Often people don’t want to hear such things. Even though I own the pcb I would be happy as hell if it would end up identical in the end. I really hate switching pcbs between games 😂

Awesome work, so what’s your impression? It’s hard to always get the same feeling from a video than playing but the first helicopter after the street and the cars driving by horizontally felt like a choppy mess on mister for me while it feels quite smooth on the pcb. Just as an early example

I feel like it has extra slowdown. Like when the game slows down, it slows down more dramatically. It makes some of the more difficult sections a little easier to navigate.

Awesome play @jepjepjep and thanks for actually contributing science instead of essays with hearsay.

The audio seems really off on the MiSTer... just listening back-to-back 10 seconds at a time in the first 2 minutes reveals so many inconsistencies.

The colours are way off too, does that have to do with your capture chain or did you notice it in your cab/supergun doing plays between PCB to MiSTer?

I literally swapped the mistercade with the PCB without making any adjustments to the capture gear. Since it's analog, we can compensate for the differences, but there are differences in screen position, contrast (intensity), and the obvious color shift. The color difference is more pronounced on the capture than on the arcade monitor. The betsu-betsu has individual pots for R-G-B, so it can be tweaked, in fact I think the PCB capture is a little too blue. I'm not sure if the mistercade has individual pots for the RGB color channels.

Yes, the audio is different. I noticed right away too. It's fun to compare the differences.

Last edited:
I’m just glad someone took the effort to show I wasn’t lying 😅 Often people don’t want to hear such things.😂
It's the same rhetoric with *some* of the Raspberry Pi and Groovy MAME guys in the arcade communities. The amount of times I've cheerfully bought up arcade games in online conversation just to have someone randomly tell me how dumb anyone would be to spend money on original hardware and they don't notice the difference on their "insert emulation device here" rig... yet they've NEVER actually played the original hardware and are just repeating what they read online. Very evangelistic but maybe they need to constantly convince themselves that they're not missing out.

I find it annoying but just tune out for the most part... I'm definitely not trying to convince the Pandora's Box or MAME crowd to buy PCBs, lol, so please afford people that enjoy real hardware the same level of respect online.

Anyhows, @jepjepjep is the true MVP in this conversation.

I'm really happy to see some concrete evidence about colours being off. It's not just this core either... but the MiSTer overall.

The audio like you said is off, I don't think it's even "close" at all. The instruments are lacking depth and are in the wrong timbre/key at many points.

MiSTer overall. Analog RGB Output over SCART. Audio DAC.

If the RGB levels are dialled in on my supergun and I really have zero issues going board-to-board and I'm outputting to the exact same monitor... I would expect similar results when using the MiSTer. But that's not the case, and I'm just relying on my eyes.

Same goes if I dialled in my Supergun's RGB to match a game on the MiSTer then swapped to another board/core. Shouldn't the output be the same if it's an EXACT representation of original hardware. Or am I missing something, or are we actually getting somewhere here?

MiSTer overall. Analog RGB Output over SCART.
I guess the thing I was attempting to ask is if the colors are off regardless of IO choice, or not.

Analog IO, Mistercade, HDMI, Jamma Expander. Do they all have the same output that's not correct (in that case it'd be the cores themselves, or the mister), or are they different (which would mean that the design of the particular IO is to blame)?

Where I can help it, I don't play old games on HDMI so can't comment on that world.

Been playing on the PVMs / Supergun a lot more lately, so just your standard IO board outputting to RGB. And just a HAS supergun doing the same.

Both Supergun/MiSTer using Tim Worthington adapters going into the SCART switch.

Back