What's new
Back on topic - a question:

Has anyone been successful with enabling cheats for arcade cores in MiSTer? I've seen jotego's write up and I'm either not smart enough to execute or it's a bit confusing to follow. For anyone familiar:

• Is it simply a matter of editing the .mra file or is there more to it?
  • Is there a known depository of games with cheats enabled ready to use as-is?

All I'm looking to do is some simple stuff like enabling infinite time/meter/health for several CPS2 fighting games. There are not many training rom hacks out there so I'm looking to see if this is another approach possible.

I've seen jotego's write up and I'm either not smart enough to execute or it's a bit confusing to follow. For anyone familiar:
Unfortunately some of the links in his write-up now 404 making it a little harder to answer your question. Can't look at his example :/

Right, that's unfortunate. Hopefully someone else has done this successfully and can point me in the right direction.

Hi Folks - just want to make sure I am not crazy.

I just updated my mister with the update_all script - and I went to set up Joust. I can't seem to find a way to set it up for Free Play. I know the original board supported this, so just want to check with folks to make sure I am just not missing it somewhere.

Thanks!

Matt

Joust doesn't have dipswitches. Free play can be turned on by setting Pricing selection to 9 in the test menu.

(I don't have a MiSTer, I'm not sure if the test menu is accessible or not).

And what does that give you exactly in any given game as opposed to irkens? Seems both have said once in cab it takes minutes! Im torn between both options.
@advans14 I have both.

As true arcade snob (I mean that as a compliment) you would appreciate the fact that Irken's boots straight into a game, whereas MisterCade does require you to navigate menus to get to where want to go. I dont think either would take minutes per se, but Irkens is less than ten seconds. Menus are a necessary evil of Mister and Irken limits them better IMO.

Joust doesn't have dipswitches. Free play can be turned on by setting Pricing selection to 9 in the test menu.

(I don't have a MiSTer, I'm not sure if the test menu is accessible or not).

Yeah - the test menu isn't there. Or at least, the test button doesn't bring up any test menu.

@advans14 I have both.

As true arcade snob (I mean that as a compliment) you would appreciate the fact that Irken's boots straight into a game, whereas MisterCade does require you to navigate menus to get to where want to go. I dont think either would take minutes per se, but Irkens is less than ten seconds. Menus are a necessary evil of Mister and Irken limits them better IMO.
nice, yeah that and the direct video (even though i know it hasn't shown much difference) i like the pure output from the source/hdmi vs mitsercade. now if i can find one for a cheaper price. that is one part that is hard to swallow :(

@advans14 I have both.

You can boot straight into a game with MiSTercade as well by setting bootcore=lastcore in the MiSTer.ini file - it's a MiSTer setting and has nothing to do with the JAMMA interface hat.

You can boot straight into a game with MiSTercade as well by setting bootcore=lastcore in the MiSTer.ini file - it's a MiSTer setting and has nothing to do with the JAMMA interface hat.
Could be the core picker menu? Holding 1P start for 2 seconds brings up a menu where you choose a core directly (alt+f12), instead of going via settings. Not the most complicated/expensive feature LOL :)

https://irkenlabs.com/jamma-expander/operation-2/

If you have kids, the 'user lock' of the expander is one of my favorite features - it's a physical switch that disables all mister interaction meaning kids can bash buttons randomly like maniacs and not mess anything up.

Supposedly instant booting causes instability with cores (due to sdram checking not complete) so if you do lastboot set the timeout to 30 seconds

Strange issue I have noticed with Mistercade and Joust - if I hit player 1 start, before entering a coin - P1 is P1, and P2 is P2. If I just enter a coin first, P2 controls are mapped to P1, and vice versa.

Anyway to hardcode P1 to always be P1?

EDIT - it appears that Mister takes the FIRST input and says "ok, that is player 1" which is super annoying. My cabinet has a single coin chute - and I am guessing its wired up to COIN 2 (will have to check), so that is likely causing the issue. But if someone runs over when its booted and hits player 2 start, for example - BAM, player 2 controls become marked as "player 1".

Certainly not ideal for something that is hardwired!

2nd EDIT - yep, I had the button/chute wired to Coin2 - rewired it to Coin1 - should lessen the chance that people accidentally hit a P2 input on bootup.

Matt

Last edited:
NEO GEO CD tutorial :

1. Put .rbf file in Consoles folder
2. Put "MiSTer" in the root . If is the case , replace the old you have with this one !
3. Put "top-sp1.bin" in games / NEO GEO folder
4. Put .chd (i used Ironclad.chd) in games / NEO GEO folder
5. After lunch the Neo Geo CD core , enter in the menu core and select "System Type : CD"
6. Lunch the game.
7. Enjoy !

Rbf + MiSTer ini are here : https://www.sendspace.com/file/a79ybk
Bios is here : https://github.com/Abdess/retroarch_system/blob/libretro/SNK - NeoGeo CD/top-sp1.bin

IMG_2160.jpg

IMG_2157.jpg

Last edited:
Could be the core picker menu? Holding 1P start for 2 seconds brings up a menu where you choose a core directly (alt+f12), instead of going via settings. Not the most complicated/expensive feature LOL :)

https://irkenlabs.com/jamma-expander/operation-2/

If you have kids, the 'user lock' of the expander is one of my favorite features - it's a physical switch that disables all mister interaction meaning kids can bash buttons randomly like maniacs and not mess anything up.
Yes this is what I was referring to.

Back