What's new
IMHO for gaming sc55 and sc88 are great midi modules. I use sc55 in case of accidental use of "features" by old games.

As a pro musician it's down to how many notes and instruments can be generated, and the manufacturers interpretation of the MIDI protocols expected instrument sound.

If I would have to prioritize my modules, I would first get the MT32, then the SC55 and then the SC88.

I grew up in the MT32 times, so that's what most of the games I like use.

If I could just have one module, I would get a SC55, and use MT32 compatibility for the first MIDI games.

The best sounding GM box sets were by Roland - the 55,88 & the daddy the ISA SCC-1.. in fact any of the devices bearing the 'sound canvas' logo adhere to all the basics for a GM device - that is all the instruments and drum sets are standardised and good quality. The issue is connecting them.. The boxed devices all needed horrible mini-din to midi leads, or something equally horrible - they were not bought by gamers at the time, but by musicians after a multi-timbral rompler, and the SCC-1 is an ISA card with mini-din breakouts at the back - but all of them would emulate and pass-thru MPU401 midi, which was nice.

The external 55 & 88 range were just more advanced versions of the MT32, and some have nice LCD displays and controls, while the '32 was dumb, and the sound set was a little bit lame. All of the GM standard included reverb and chorus, and each instrument/channel has it's own aux send for each effect, level controllable by a Midi CC, as was PAN and ch vol. All these were instant, and had no 'zipper' artifacts, so in code you could shimmer from left to right at a ferocious rate, and could pick out individual notes and drum hits, and plunge them into reverb or chorus, while panning, and taking advantage of any extra modulation available in the patch - some had aftertouch, mod wheel etc. available to change the sound, all the sounds were velocity sensitive, some just for dynamics, some (like the piano patches) would x-fade samples. You could also switch sounds without 'clicking' during a pattern, so You were able to build massive soundscapes using all the voices available, but with endless combinations of tones per instant. 'midi code' could make use of a resolution of 192ppq - that's a shed load of events to play with, and although the bandwidth of midi is pretty poor by today's standards, it was very hard to run out of slots - tracker this was not!

GM became a standard on many instruments, just as a way of laying out patches - so Pianos first, Drums default to channel 10 etc. and most workstation devices in the late 80's and the 90's had at least one GM bank on board - all of these instruments could be used to score a DOS game, if You selected the GM bank on the channels used in the game. You do NOT need a sound canvass or any GM compatible box, all you need is a midi port in the machine, as all the GM devices in the dos days pretended to me MPU401 interfaces. Just use the midi out and send it to Your choice of machine! For the 'Deluxe experience' pick up an EMU Proteus, it was one of the last multi-timbral monsters that could spoof a GM set, and it's waveforms are top of the range sexy, and they are cheap now. Forget low-res samples and fizzy drum hits, use an orchestra!!

If I would have to prioritize my modules, I would first get the MT32, then the SC55 and then the SC88.

I grew up in the MT32 times, so that's what most of the games I like use.

If I could just have one module, I would get a SC55, and use MT32 compatibility for the first MIDI games.
Definitely the same here. MT32 has the gems. Sc55 great for later era but gets less use.

Lord help me, I’ve decided to dive deeper into the MIDI module rabbit hole.

BD797D5E-95BB-4C28-8B5D-245A10C2EE9F.jpeg

Attachments

• 614268DD-3C67-4448-A241-69A1269E8310.jpeg
    614268DD-3C67-4448-A241-69A1269E8310.jpeg
    631.1 KB · Views: 93
I love MIDI modules, currently own:
Roland: CM-64, CM-500, SC-55MkII, SC-88 Pro
Yamaha: TG100, MU2000EX, SY22
Korg: NS5R
Casio: GZ-50M
Akai: SG01k
Tascam: Pocket Studio 5
Dreamblaster X2

I got MT-32 around Christmas since I found one pretty cheap locally. Re-capped it since I heard they tend to loose some instruments when old capacitors dry. I only have Roland USB UM-1 mk2 right now so I can play MIDI music from DOS BOX on my Mac (for newest Mac OS drivers are not yet fully supported, but it works on "Pad" mode with DOS BOX fine).

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s4G51EeTgN8

I'm on a queue for MIDI+RAM expansion card for my X68000 which will then widen the library of MIDI madness for me :P Unfortunately maker of those said that because of this global parts shortage, making those cards is impossible right now... ||

I also have MSX2 and Amiga but MIDI libraries on those seemed to be pretty thin. Might jump on those later if I find something interesting!

@nasseI I have a old model (no headphones jack) MT-32 on the way that I got a good deal on... did you find a cap list or did you just read the values and replace?

@nasseI I have a old model (no headphones jack) MT-32 on the way that I got a good deal on... did you find a cap list or did you just read the values and replace?
I have that same model, luckily there was ready made cap list on Console5 wiki. For heads up: Those grey flat cables that connect from display to motherboard are "push" style, so just push those connectors down from the PCB and they will come off. I scratched my head a long time how to get those off ?(

4 bi-polar caps on it, other than that was pretty basic. And there is a lot of room so you can use higher ones etc.

Last edited:
I have that same model, luckily there was ready made cap list on Console5 wiki. For heads up: Those grey flat cables that connect from display to motherboard are "push" style, so just push those connectors down from the PCB and they will come off. I scratched my head a long time how to get those off ?(

4 bi-polar caps on it, other than that was pretty basic. And there is a lot of room so you can use higher ones etc.
Got the MT-32 in, it works, but needs a little love. The firmware is 1.06 and could be 1.07, and I definitely want to recap it. As it sits, it works, but my MT-100 (which is an MT-32 motherboard with a sequencer crammed in the enclosure) sounds much better. I know the MT-100 was a later production run. I'm hoping it's just dry caps, the MT-100 sounds powerful in comparison.

I should get the right eproms tomorrow and console5 carried the cap kit so I just bought it there (they are based 5 minutes from my old apartment so I like to support them).

Any idea if there is something different with PC98 v30 machines and midi?
I cannot get any midi out of my CV. Both of my Rolands work fine in 9821 but nothing in CV....
Some strange onboard jumper setting inside the machine itself i fear O__o

Back