What's new

KOarcade

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,
I own a MVS-1C motherboard that has recently started reset looping on the "garbage green square block screen". However, it is only happening with Garou: Mark of the Wolves (Original Cart). I have tested this board on two different superguns with the same game that have sufficient PSUs and have ONLY experienced the issue on the MVS-1C. I will now list below all of my current tests and evaluations. This cart was previously working fine and has been played for over 80+ hours.

Motherboard Modifications: Stereo Audio Mod
Bios: Asian/S3 Ver.6

----------------------------
Supergun#1 and #2 - MVS-1C Motherboard
  • Cleaned Jamma edge on MVS-1C
  • Cleaned Cartridge slot on MVS-1C
  • Cleaned Contacts of Cart - Garou: Mark of the Wolves (Original Cart)
  • Fully IPA the entire motherboard top and bottom sides
  • Working RAM Test - Several minutes to several hours. Tests fine
  • Tested 5V while powering game measuring from JAMMA edge connector - 4.98V-5.02V (I have dialed this in directly on 5V exactly)
  • Tested 12V while powering game measuring from JAMMA edge connector - 11.89V-11.95V (I have dialed this in directly on 5V exactly)

Other Carts Tested:
  • Neo Turf Masters (Original Cart) - Tested works fine (even left is running for 7 hours) NO ISSUES
  • Darksoft MVS Multicart - Tested, boots fine, loads games correctly and play fine. (Had to make adjustments on 5V but overall worked completely fine) NO ISSUES
  • World Heroes 2 (Original Cart) - Tested, boots fine, loads games correctly and play fine. NO ISSUES

Result#1: Garou: Mark of the Wolves (Original Cart) - Cart reset looping on the "garbage green square block screen"

---------------------------------

Supergun #1 and #2 - MVS-1F Motherboard (Fully working motherboard, no unknown issues)
  • Cleaned Jamma edge on MVS-1F
  • Tested 5V while powering game measuring from JAMMA edge connector - 5.03V
  • Tested 12V while powering game measuring from JAMMA edge connector - 11.85V

Other Carts Tested:
  • Neo Turf Masters (Original Cart) - Tested works fine
  • Darksoft MVS Multicart - Tested works fine
  • World Heroes 2 (Original Cart) - Tested works fine
  • Garou: Mark of the Wolves (Original Cart) <<<<WORKS FINE>>>>

Result#2: WORKS and BOOTS FINE! Garou: Mark of the Wolves (Original Cart)

Would appreciate any input or suggestions regarding my MVS-1C and Garou resetting issue. Clearly the Garou cart is fine since it boots and play correctly on the MVS-1F. I don't understand why it would begin the reset loop? Normally this is due to low 5V and adjustments are suggested. It truly makes no sense.

I get it, that arcade hardware needs patience and I have patience and time to clean. But I feel like I have performed everything that I am aware and researched. I have read replacing RAM chips might help, however, I don't think I need to do this considering the MVS-1C "Working RAM Test" is fine (no errors). MVS-1F on both superguns performed correctly even with Garou.

ONLY the MVS-1C has a reset loop on the green garbage screen with Garou. I have double checked MVS-1C cartridge slot and pins look okay and are making contact correctly.

I do see an area under the cartridge slot solder side that may have some traces that are scratched. However, I have checked continuity and from the points of reference through the traces to the chip legs and these all checked out fine. I have plans to use a magnifying glass to TRIPLE check these traces.

So lastly, do older games use less processing power from the motherboards than newer games like Garou or KOF99/2000/2002?

mvs-1c under-traces.jpg

Scratched traces left of A1 listed on board. I have tested these points. However, I may get positive on continuity if they all meet at ONE point then branch out to their respected chip legs.

Thanks,

Do you know the condition of the electrolytic capacitors? The function of those capacitors re to smooth out the power. Bad caps would create ripples in the power which may lead to random resets.

I order a capkit today so I will install and see where that takes me. I have investigated further into traces and they are not cut or broken. Continuity is proven true in all troubled looking areas. I have tested my battery and it is at 2.68DCV and listed at a 3V. I truly hope that it is the caps. Cause Garou worked perfectly fine for many months before this surprising issue. Hell, Garou on the DS Multi cart works fine too.

Well I have completed the recap kit on the MVS-1C board and all games booted fine. However, Garou MotW still has the reset loop during the garbage screen on the initial boot. I have tested the 5V at the JAMMA edge and adjusted it from 5V-5.20V and still not getting Garou to boot fully. I have played Garou off of the Darksoft Multicart perfectly fine, however, I am getting the same reset loop when I use the 150-1 (yellow cart) multicart.

I have even taken the time to adjust the contact pins within the cart slot. Just to rule out that they are making a good connection. By the way, connections are now FIRMLY touching the carts.

Am I experiencing some type of RAM issue at this point or should I inspect somewhere else on the board?

At this point I am open to all that may have some clue as to why Garou is the only cart acting this way?

@Darksoft do you have some insight or someone that you could appoint me to regarding my issue? I feel like I have ruled out most of what other forums and members have recommended to start with.

I'll post a video of the reset loop later today as an example of the current issue.

Here are some videos I quick shot to provide those interested in observing my issue.

TEST#1 - MVS-1C + Garou original cart

TEST#2 - MVS-1C + Garou 150-1 multicart (yellow)

TEST#3 - MVS-1C + Garou Darksoft multicart - GAME BOOTS FINE

I appreciate those that have taken the time to view these videos. I know they are not the best, however, I just would like some record for those to better understand my status of this issue.

So the problem was the cart. End of case.

Anyway, you need another MVS for comparisons.

I appreciate the reply, however, I used the Garou original cart on a MVS-1F and it works fine. I mentioned this in the initial post. I will post another video with the original cart and 150-1 multicart working on the MVS-1F shortly.

The MVS-1C does not reboot or reset loop. It just goes directly to the cross hatches as it should.

Here is the comparison using a MVS-1F motherboard:

TEST#4 - MVS-1F + Garou original cart - GAME BOOTS FINE

TEST#5 - MVS-1F + Garou 150-1 multicart - GAME BOOTS FINE

Thanks for viewing and sharing any thoughts.

On MV1C, without cart, check the I/O screen and give me a shot.

Press start on hatch screen.
Screen in the upper right-hand corner is cut off. So I am missing the full version of the bios. However, if this is extremely important to know right now. I can provide this information.

Did you set DIP 7 for free play?
If yes, the PCB is perfectly fine.
Maybe a connection problem with cart.

Did you set DIP 7 for free play?
If yes, the PCB is perfectly fine.
Maybe a connection problem with cart.
Yes, I set it to free play. As for connection with the cart, I adjusted the cart slot contact points and it is pretty stiff and makes a solid connection. I can go back through and make sure that each point and contact pin have continuity. It truly makes no sense to me why it doesn't fully boot.

Back