What's new
Do you have a recommendation for a replacement fan for inside a Sun power supply?

Well... it has been quite the journey with this Blast City. It's crazy to think this was my 2nd cab I ever got, just a few months after my first Astro City.

If you've followed this thread you saw that this cab was locked and didn't turn on. Now, had it just turned on this would have been a great deal for a Blast. It has cleaned up super well. But, me being new to this hobby I underestimated what could go wrong, especially with a Blast City.

Once it turned on, the monitor didn't. I recapped the chassis. Then the monitor turned on. But, fast forward a bit later and I posted this thread: Nanao MS-2933 no red.

1673747123442.jpeg

Thanks to help of this awesome community it was clear that it was likely the tube. After chatting with @opt2not for awhile he offered to come over and check the tube out with his rejuvenator. Sadly that didn't do the trick. It appeared that the red gun is gone.

Off to PNL.

1673747285487.jpeg

(their shop, not my Blast City or tube)

The tube was indeed done. They replaced it with an Orion they had on hand. It had some burn, but not too bad.

1673747262271.jpeg

(my dead tube with another lost soul)

1673747503095.jpeg

Success! Look at all that red!

1673747520235.jpeg

(the motto for all Blast City owners)

1673747614325.jpeg

(just look at this beauty)

So we're done right?

<TO BE CONTINUED>

Last edited:
1673747759872.jpeg

Enter the hula dancers. After letting the monitor sit for awhile before calibrating and mounting, it started to have some issues. Most of all wavy lines, vertical collapse and occasionally shutting off entirely.

Back to PNL.

After many hours of work at PNL they told me that a video control IC chip was bad and they weren't able to source a replacement.

So...

1673748375190.jpeg

I was able to find an MS-2931 on Yaj and took it over to PNL.

1673748425836.jpeg

Great success! We have a stable image.

1673748464404.jpeg

She's back home!

Sadly, I did not take a video of this. But, when I plugged the monitor in and turned the Blast on: SPARKS! POP! SHUTDOWN! Then the monitor would not turn on again. I believe the tube is blown.

<TO BE CONTINUED>

After all this time. Months of lugging this monitor back and forth (PNL is a good distance from me). To say I was frustrated was an understatement. Despite the cost, I have even tried to import monitors and it's just so hard these days to get anything.

@garou81 posted that he had some monitors for sale and I immediately PM'd him.

HERE COMES A NEW CHALLENGER:

1673748897820.jpeg

1673748916745.jpeg

The monitor was packed great by @garou81 and put on a pallet. It was freighted via YRC from Central California to SoCal, about 5 minutes from my house. The people at YRC were super helpful. They disposed of the pallet and we lifted the giant box into my SUV.

After a super busy end of December it was time to try this thing out:

1673749108685.jpeg

@opt2not was nice enough to swing by to help me out and -- hopefully -- close out this saga. And...

1673749161729.jpeg

GREATER SUCCESS!!!

This thing looks fantastic.

We spent a bunch of time calibrating it. Put about 6 convergence strips in it and it my be my favorite monitor of my row. Screen is set very low, so hopefully it has a lot of life left to give. Likewise with brightness, also very low. And it's still super bright and sharp.

1673749277082.jpeg

1673749295169.jpeg

1673749364059.jpeg

1673749345986.jpeg

Very happy with how this looks in 15k.

1673749487806.jpeg

One big happy family, at last.

I will be taking my other monitor back to PNL with the hope it can be fixed and then I can have a backup to these fragile, beautiful, beasts. But in the meantime, I'm going to enjoy my little garage-cade until the next project is set to begin.

Thanks to so many who helped me trouble shoot, both public, in PMs, and Discord. This community is awesome and I hope to see more of you sitting next to me on a cab.

Great persistence there. Got any pics of how you did the convergence strips?

Last edited:
Great persistence there. Got any pics of how you did the convergence rings?
We did convergence strips to get the corners cleaned up. The on-center was in great shape so we didn't mess with the rings.

It's still a 2930, so the bottom right corner isn't perfect, but it's better than every 293X I've seen.

We did convergence strips to get the corners cleaned up. The on-center was in great shape so we didn't mess with the rings.

It's still a 2930, so the bottom right corner isn't perfect, but it's better than every 293X I've seen.
Thanks mate. I meant strips. Just a case of experimenting I guess?

Great work! I might need to source a few tubes as well. Does he have anymore tubes and did you catch watch tv and tube models it was?

Back