What's new
That seems wrong.
I can understand that the main board amp is powered off, it might cause unintended buzzing or feedback.
But if your Qsound board has no 12V power input as a result, it will never output mono amplified sound into the Jamma edge.

Did you meter the 12V area on the qsound board? Does it get +12V DC with the tape in place?

Edit: Technically you can do this as follows, but i'm at work, have no 1.5CPS with me, or at home, and no easy access.

- Remove the tape from the jamma unifier edge.
- Add the tape to the jamma edge on the CPS1 A board
That is where the tape is at the moment.
The tape is on the CPS A board JAMMA edge, not on the unifier edge.

Oh I get what you mean - the 12V should be distributed from the JAMMA unifier to the Qsound board as well - I wonder why that's not happening.

Last edited:
There should be some path from CPSA into QSOUND board to get the amp to work.
If the pins are taped like this, the QSOUND board gets no +12. And no sound as you noted.

The line audio level won't be proper line level and not all external amps will work as you have seen.

I would have cut the input pin of the HA13001 amp and leave the path from +12V to qsound amp on the qsound board intact. It's not elegant but should work.

The tape solution means no Jamma sound on these boards. An external amp is required + RCA. It needs to be a 'relaxed design' amp that doesn't care about the line level. Probably many cheapo amps will work fine but some designs stick to the exact values as outlined below:
(Let's say a required waveform between +0.447 and -0.447)

Line_levels.svg

Edit: You might be able to fix this by moving the tape from +12V, and disable Speaker+ and Speaker - on the main CPS1 board. (i.e. add tape to those pins instead.)

Last edited:
Please disregard my posts, my JAMMA cable 12V line was damaged :(

The pot does affect the volume on the RCA lines now that the 12V line is fixed. As I rotate the pot the volume increases till halfway (non-linear) and then decreases as you continue to rotate. Try rotating the pot and see if the volume doesn't at all - something's not right. Both my working PCBs now have acceptable level of sound with the pot rotated to about mid way. Maybe the missing zener diode?

Apologies for all this.

Last edited:
The bottom board sound area on a 1.5 is supposed to be unpopulated - all sound is via the Q Sound board and then sent it through the JAMMA edge and the line out RCAs

I'm wondering if @lydz has disabled the Q Sound board because he's using hacked CPS1.5 ROMs with no Q Sound. And has populated the bottom board so that sound is output via JAMMA only

@lydz are you able to explain what's happening here?

I'm wondering if @lydz has disabled the Q Sound board because he's using hacked CPS1.5 ROMs with no Q Sound. And has populated the bottom board so that sound is output via JAMMA only
Q sound board is definitely working and the sound is not looping like the CPS1 conversions. I can get proper audio output from the RCA once my 12V line from the supergun got fixed.

I think he is using generic CPS A board and didn't bother to take out the audio components so has disabled it by taping the 12V Jamma edge pin using a clear tape.

I will try to record the sound and upload it to youtube for the first 3 stages of C&D.

@xodaraP if you ever have time and get to it can you please check if the pot actually affect the RCA audio volume? Also does it keep increasing as you rotate or does it decrease after reaching mid way.

the test mode at least lets me toggle between QSound and Mono. Any way to tell for sure?

More issues:

Just tested on my board "dino" and "dinoj" that the World and JP original ROMs: Dinou doesnt have this problem.
jpijrb.jpg

Each time the game is over if I dont continue the game crashes.

Video link:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1GldTWWvmPrsyc5AwVrWLdV5ZEkT_nIvY

This doesnt affect my second board which runs flawlessly. I think there is a major quality control issue.

Last edited:
I'll plug it in and connect up the RCAs and try it. I left it out the other day so I could do other tests to figure stuff out

I'm sure I took photos of the boards when I desuicided it too

Edit: I did, I'll post photos as well.

The A board on mine had a completely unpopulated audio section

Capcom's Q-Sound amp pcb is just a normal stereo amp, it contains no sound processing tech. Q-Sound relies on the time delay between both ears to do special tricks and spatializing
Haha, oh wow, consider my mind blown. I always thought there was some kind of processing going in those amps.

Uh... Why is this thing sold without a case?
Original CPS1.5 boards all came inside a plastic shell, what happened to that?
gtybdoZ_d.jpg

Without the shell that filter/connector board is just hanging off into space.

Maybe it was to accommodate the LCD screen?
Ok, so why is the screen made into the board rather then being externally connectable/mountable?

Maybe I can get a sweet metal repro from @hursit! Though yeah, that LCD is gonna be a problem...
Believe it or not I've been really trying not to be so negative.
I just look at that and think... "its a bad design, why even bother?"

Believe it or not I've been really trying not to be so negative.
I just look at that and think... "its a bad design, why even bother?"
I figure nobody else will probably mess with a cps 1.5 so this is my only shot. And any original board is 50% more expensive than this. So I can deal with some weirdness. If I already owned one of the games, I probably wouldn't have bought it (since then it would just be +2 new games, to me).

Yeah I said earlier in the thread I was surprised the case was missing. They could've kept the bottom half of the case at least since the filter board slides fairly snugly into it and has support on the sides.

It's a fairly heavy board to have hanging off the edge connectors. I get its because of the screen but still.

That Cps Q board looks like a complete remake and not a modified original.
really? From what little I can see of it it looks original even with the CAPCOM logo silk-screened in the right spot. What about it leads you to believe the Q-board is a complete remake?

That Cps Q board looks like a complete remake and not a modified original.
really? From what little I can see of it it looks original even with the CAPCOM logo silk-screened in the right spot. What about it leads you to believe the Q-board is a complete remake?
Just looks like a boot ;) Check the board color compared to original capcom ones.
It's clearly a 1:1 clone.

Q Sound board looks the same colour as the filter board to me, looks like my original too. The ROM board is obviously a repro

Back