What's new
Personally... the thing that stresses me about selling things as a kit for the DIYers is just the support, and if someone messes up, it's a bit of material waste.

If someone really really wanted to do it themselves, I suppose it's not out of the question, but... it feels intrusive to ask things like "Show me past successful SMT work that illustrates good practices".

Is it possible to add a voltmeter to these?
Anything is possible if you put your mind to it!
giphy.gif

you can get some 3m double sided foam tape and connect one of these to a ground and 5v line. Looks like there should be space to mount it
https://www.digikey.com/product-det...MIi-6_ydjq5AIVBG6GCh001QXpEAQYASABEgIpm_D_BwE
We've done this, it works. There are 5v and Ground test pads built into the pcb, but proceed at your own risk.

Is it possible to add a voltmeter to these?
There are 5V and ground pins adjacent to one another in a convenient spot for this. I didn't integrate it into the PCB because the cheap solutions are sold as little premade things, with varying mount types. It's not great, but at least you can foam-tape it on the backside as mentioned and just solder some tiny short wires as a workaround.

I see. I'd pay for one to have one nicely done on there. I wouldn't mind the foam tape honestly.

I see. I'd pay for one to have one nicely done on there. I wouldn't mind the foam tape honestly.
One hesitation I have for this, is it's kind of a "failure point." Not that I expect it to fail, but it's a mod to the original design. With only a foam tape adhesion it's pretty likely that a user might rip it off accidentally and/or the pads. I suppose if it did rip those off it wouldn't be the end of the road, could always solder to the jamma pins. But you see what I'm getting at is it's not really part of the product, and not incorporated correctly. It also kind of covers up the NAC logo. Maybe I'm being vain here, but it looks slightly out of place.

That said... It's definitely doable. Is this a service that other people would be interested in? It would probably add $10 to the price.

Another option to the foam tape is I have gorilla glue hot glue sticks. They set up stronger than regular hot glue, but not as tough as epoxy. I think it would be a more secure hold than the foam tape, because the bottoms of the pcbs are not a solid flat surface that adheres well to tape. Epoxy would be the strongest permanent hold, but then if something messes up you can't replace it or fix it...

I like hot glue for this sort of thing, because removing hot glue is really easy if you change your mind (just use isopropynol).

I used a few meters on two personal Splitfire units (the ones at the very end, with the brand new, still in production Hirose CR7E-56DA connectors).

By the way, this is what testing looks like sometimes:
lGmB4mF.jpg

I don't mind hot glue either. I think im on the list but I posted over at shmups.
I see your preorder, i put a note on it that you want a voltmeter. i think it will be a while before we get to you but I will coordinate this when we get there.

Can I confirm I am on the list for one of these? Pleeeeeeeease? :)
Yes you are on the list.
I don't mind hot glue either. I think im on the list but I posted over at shmups.
I see your preorder, i put a note on it that you want a voltmeter. i think it will be a while before we get to you but I will coordinate this when we get there.
alright np. Think it will be before the end of this year?
I can't make a promise, but yes I expect it to be.

Also, as we're going through the beginning of the preorder list I'm seeing so far that it's $26 for international shipping to Italy and to Spain. I assume it will be around that price for other European countries but we'll still need to check on a case by case basis.

$100 Splitfire Base Price
$10 US Shipping
$26 Europe Shipping

I've been having a blast, using the Splitfire portably for a few months now to record and stream my arcade games. It's been working like a champ!

48022310863_b5f51fa5e3_c.jpg

48022311008_a9e8b46a3e_c.jpg

Not too long ago, I streamed a record score on Eyes.

and recently, I've been streaming some Arkanoid 2: Revenge of DOH.

Such a cool product.

I saw your channel on YouTube and absolutely fell in love with it. Great work and keep up the good work brother.

Back