What's new
I capture with a similar setup (Splitfire + OSSC) but not using either of those capture cards listed. Instead I use xcapture-1 and lately Magewell USB gen 2. Both have proven to be much more reliable with many different video sources, especially retro hardware at "non-standard" spec.

Your mileage is going to vary based on a ton of different factors tho, not the least of which is your original video source (arcade PCB in this case). It's not going to be a one size fits all scenario and even with OSSC in the chain, there will be specific profiles and settings that should be considered depending on the video source.

The easiest I found was to have the retrotink 5x since it outputs 1080p. And all the capture cards these days accept this resolution.

Apologies if this is answered in the thread, but do these work with the weird refresh on Midway boards?

I have older Jamma->Svideo solutions and Midway boards don't output right with anything I have except a Commodore 1702 monitor, which is way too small for a spectator TV.

Apologies if this is answered in the thread, but do these work with the weird refresh on Midway boards?

I have older Jamma->Svideo solutions and Midway boards don't output right with anything I have except a Commodore 1702 monitor, which is way too small for a spectator TV.
Nope. Won't capture midway, seibu spi or certain banpresto boards from my experience.

Edit: with the right capture card it totally will capture.

Last edited:
Thank you. Guessing some Toaplan games might also make that list.
Toaplan 2 hardware captures, like batrider and garegga. I don't have any toaplan games to test. Pretty much anything that doesn't have a standardized 240p 60 won't work without some kinda custom profile setup on ossc or some fancy wizardry. I'm using spitfire > extron rgb192 > tink5x and pretty much everything I have that isn't Midway, seibu, or that 1 godzilla banpresto game will work 100%.

Thank you. Guessing some Toaplan games might also make that list.
Good lord you just got some bad misinformation. really sorry about this.

The Splitfire is basically a pass-through. It’s not doing much to the video signal other than passing it along to whatever you are using for scaling.
Most of the issues I’ve seen have to deal with some older boards not having video grounding connected to the ground pins on the Jamma edge.
But “weird” sync levels isn’t a problem with the Splitfire because it’s not processing anything. It’s just pushing it through.

Seibu SPI does indeed capture. I’ve streamed Raiden Fighters 1 and Jet from that hardware, many times, no problems.
Even streamed Raiden DX which is pre-SPI and has a weird refresh. Works fine.
What midway boards are you thinking of?
Like NBA Jam? TE works. Again, I’ve streamed that one as well.

There’s not much going on with the Splitfire’s video output other than some level adjustments and if you have an earlier v1 version of the board there is a built-in Low-Pass Filter.

Any issues with video output will have to do with your setup, scalers, sync regenerators, etc.

My setup is Splitfire—>Rondo HD15-2-SCART adapter —>RetroTINK 5x (sometimes OSSC, or GBS-AIO).
The problems with sync that will occur will be with your scaler and/or sync regenerator like the Extron products.
Not the Splitfire. This is why I have multiple scalers…

Last edited:
good to know. thats what i get with what im using. ill have to check out that hd15 to scart adapter u have and maybe i can get raiden fighters to work for me.

This absolutely works with Midway boards. Your issue will be what to do with the captured video, specifically how to best handle the refresh timing and unique native resolutions. OSSC can be used to help with both. Not sure exactly where the details are posted these days but I've seen Midway specific timings and profiles floating around which "fixes" the video capture and eliminates the cutoff from the bottom of the screen.

i have 2 splitfires, ossc, and tink5x ive tried every possible combination i can think of. still no midway or seibu. could it be my capture card? i use avermedia live gamer portable 2 plus. i have used both with and with out the extron i mentioned before and wit ha vga to scart adapter for the tink5x.

It's almost certainly your capture card(s). Most are not necessarily built to understand content which isn't typical 480p/720p/1080p at or close to 30 or 60fps. That's not what we're attempting to feed with arcade video running at all sorts of different specs. You'll likely run into similar issues feeding scaled and/or line multiplied console video as well.

Two devices I've had much better success with for most retro video content are Micomsoft Xcapture-1 and Magewell USB capture gen 2. Neither of these are cheap these days but they work, accept most of the video standards I've thrown at it directly, each one plays well with OBS and require minimal configuration. You get what you pay for in this case.

cool. i just bought a magewell. hopefully ill be having a raiden fighters stream when it shows up. thanks for the help

It's almost certainly your capture card(s). Most are not necessarily built to understand content which isn't typical 480p/720p/1080p at or close to 30 or 60fps. That's not what we're attempting to feed with arcade video running at all sorts of different specs. You'll likely run into similar issues feeding scaled and/or line multiplied console video as well.

Two devices I've had much better success with for most retro video content are Micomsoft Xcapture-1 and Magewell USB capture gen 2. Neither of these are cheap these days but they work, accept most of the video standards I've thrown at it directly, each one plays well with OBS and require minimal configuration. You get what you pay for in this case.
I'm happy to say you are right! Thank u for the info.
20220526_175018.jpg

What midway boards are you thinking of?
Like NBA Jam? TE works. Again, I’ve streamed that one as well.

There’s not much going on with the Splitfire’s video output other than some level adjustments and if you have an earlier v1 version of the board there is a built-in Low-Pass Filter.

Any issues with video output will have to do with your setup, scalers, sync regenerators, etc.

My setup is Splitfire—>Rondo HD15-2-SCART adapter —>RetroTINK 5x (sometimes OSSC, or GBS-AIO).
OK thanks, great to know this can work w/ Midway (Yeah, MK2/UMK3/Original Jam/Open Ice are what I have).

I don't really want to capture video, just display a live feed from the machine to projector, so this sounds good for me.

Can you just do Spitfire-->OSSC (VGA port) though without the VGA->SCART adapter?

Back