What's new

outrun2

Beginner
Reaction score
Wow incredible work, thanks for sharing! I love CRTs in arcade cabs, but fully admit to being a total thicko when it comes to the knowing how they work. Nevertheless I read this writeup from start to finish and was fascinated - very readable even for novice. Amazing to have so many seriously clever people on here sharing their knowledge in a generous and unpretentious way.

I have a twin Japanese Daytona 2 that I'm currently restoring that has MS9 monitors - one side has the stock (for Japan) Toshiba tube, whereas the other is a Hitachi. No doubt the Toshiba tube is superior and interesting to note that the curvature is also different. Lucky for me I have the correct version bezel for each tube, but I'd like to get a Toshiba tube in the other side at some point. There must be about half-a-dozen different bezels I've come across for Sega drivers to allow for the various monitors that have been installed in them over the years.

nem

Legendary
Reaction score
@outrun2, not necessarily! I had VF3 cab with a Hitachi screen. It had a really sharp picture, the best I've seen from a middle res game. Don't count it out.

I would have loved to have kept that monitor, but I have nothing that matches that curvature.

Anselmo

Professional
Reaction score
@outrun2, not necessarily! I had VF3 cab with a Hitachi screen. It had a really sharp picture, the best I've seen from a middle res game. Don't count it out

I have two astros side by side with MS9's one has a toshiba tube and the other a hitachi, the hibachi seems to have slightly better color luminosity/pop/vibrancy. Hard to explain but it's really a stunning picture quality.

nem

Legendary
Reaction score
I have two astros side by side with MS9's one has a toshiba tube and the other a hitachi

Does the bezel fit the Hitachi? I've only ever seen one bezel for the Astro and that's for the Tosh.

Anselmo

Professional
Reaction score
It definitely fits, it definitely has a miniscule gap more than the toshiba. I actually just though it was from age that the bezel may have bended a little more, especially since this cabinet was disassembled and re sprayed. It's negligible really. You can only tell because the astro is next to it.

Anselmo

Professional
Reaction score
In identifying the MS9 variants, is there a specific number or mark on the chassis that helps identify the variant on the chassis?

Typically if the chassis is paired with the tube you can identify it by the markings on the tube/frame, but I have several MS9 chassis with no tubes and I'd like to identify which MS9 variant they are.

rtw

Champion
Reaction score
A while back @twistedsymphony and I went on a journey to find out what was hiding behind all these different MS9 chassis PCB versions. This was all based on googling chassis images. We came up with the following list:

• PCB-MAIN: 05A00675D1 (red C101, green wire over U550)
  • PCB-MAIN: 05A00675C2 (red C101, green wire over U550)
  • PCB-MAIN: 05A00675C1 (red C101, green wire over U550)
  • PCB-MAIN: 05A00675A1 (red C101, black wire over U550)
  • PCB-MAIN: 05A00585D1 (black C101)

serge85

Beginner
Reaction score
Is it possible to swap Nanao ms9 chassis? for example, I have a 05A00675C1, and if one day the chassis dies, could I replace it with a 05A00675D1?