What's new

JKTwice

Beginner
Reaction score
Hi! I’m a newbie to JVS systems and the biggest sticking point in my project currently is that I need a way to power a NAOMI 2 with a NetDIMM without a cabinet. This is apparently a very power hungry set up and I’ve seen two main options:

1. Sun PSU. The most reliable solution although these units are getting up there in age and are expensive. My question here is if anyone sells an adapter so I can plug it into the wall or a power bank or something.

2. ATX PSU. The adapters for these seem to be produced frequently enough to where I can find multiple sellers, however I’ve heard doubts concerning this specific solution as the voltage from the PSU’s 3.3 and 5V rails needs to be in a specific window for the NAOMI to not get cooked. A quality PSU would work in this instance but I’m wondering what models you guys would recommend.

I have lurked for awhile and can’t really decide on what to do, so I figured I’d just ask you guys directly. Thank you!

Edit: Got my PSU question squared away but did not want to make another thread when my next question is in the same field of knowledge.

https://www.arcade-projects.com/threads/naomi-2-netdimm-power-supply-options.25113/post-373033

Last edited:
Not to further complicate and add to the options but I’ve had really great experience powering my NAOMI with a MeanWell QP-150-3A. It has the necessary 3.3V, 5V, and 12V for NAOMI and the 3.3V and 5V lines are adjustable, (you also get -5V so it meets JAMMA power requirements as well).

The simplest solution would be to find a working Sun PSU but, as you say, they’re getting on in years and may need to replace the fan and/or electrolytic capacitors. The QP-150-3A, while pricey, is new and you don’t have to worry about it failing, at least not for a few years.

If you have experience crimping wires or are willing to learn, you can build your own AC harness for both the Sun PSU and MeanWell. You’ll need a replacement AC power cord and the corresponding AMP Universal Power female three position connector and pins, (part numbers 176283 & 175150) for the Sun PSU. You'll have to build an AC and DC harness for the MeanWell. DC harness would go to the NAOMI while the AC power cord plugs into the wall. There are lots of talented harness builders on this forum so you can always commission the DC harness if you decide to go MeanWell, (the Sun PSU should already have the DC harness installed but be sure the one you buy includes the extension harness).

I would recommend against an ATX PSU for the reason you stated—you can’t adjust the voltage on them.

Hope this helps!

Last edited:
Here’s a photo of my Sun PSU. The DC harness including extension is on the left and the AC power cord I built for it is on the right.

If you do decide to go with the MeanWell, I would highly recommend that you get @dewmansnk terrific AWSD power supply interface PCB which allows you to disconnect the DC harness from the PSU among many other features.

Attachments

• D551DF29-6CF6-424F-9E7A-76DFFF97CB65.jpeg
    D551DF29-6CF6-424F-9E7A-76DFFF97CB65.jpeg
    286.6 KB · Views: 75
Here’s a photo of my Sun PSU. The DC harness including extension is on the left and the AC power cord I built for it is on the right.

If you do decide to go with the MeanWell, I would highly recommend that you get @dewmansnk terrific AWSD power supply interface PCB which allows you to disconnect the DC harness from the PSU among many other features.
Decided to go with a Sun PSU. They're cheaper than the Mean Wells and I can replace my Sun later if it goes bad. I just need it for a bit to power on the system before I start really streamlining my set up and getting it clean.

I am definitely willing to learn how to crimp cables but is there someone I can contact or a reliable seller of AC 110V converters? Otherwise, where can I purchase the cables needed (the AC power cord link seems to be broken :/).

Thank you for your advice so far. It helped me make a decision on what route to go.

Quick edit: Found the brand of A/C cable you recommended me but there's a few different options so what are the specs I should be looking for. Thank you again!

Last edited:
Hi, back again with another Power Supply question. I have a Sega 838 and need a way to power it and I’d rather not butcher the Sun PSU I picked up to do it.

Do you all use adapters on the Sun PSU/ATX PSU or have a separate power cable that you use to power the I/O?

Back