What's new
Want To Buy

supabok

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Looking to restore my NAC and noticed the plastic that actually holds the CP is cracked in the middle.
Wondering if anyone has an extra lying around they'd like to sell:

s-l64.jpg

cheers

Are you going to be painting your cab as part of the restore? If so, you could use something like this to bond it back together / fill any cracks https://www.unibond.co.uk/en/adhesives/epoxy-repair/epoxy_repair_plastic.html

Sands down easily so you won't notice it once the base & clear coat are on - I've just done this with mines..hand a full length crack right up the middle of the panel. Once the control panel etc is back on, that will give it extra support too

Attachments

• Astro.jpg
    Astro.jpg
    127.9 KB · Views: 62
@frosty Wow that looks great! Good job!
I wasn't planning on sanding/painting etc...but seeing your results has me thinking I should.

If you don't mind me asking, what did you use to sand it down and did you use a primer as well? Sorry, I'm new to all of this.

cheers

@frosty Wow that looks great! Good job!
I wasn't planning on sanding/painting etc...but seeing your results has me thinking I should.

If you don't mind me asking, what did you use to sand it down and did you use a primer as well? Sorry, I'm new to all of this.

cheers

Thanks!

I had the 5 metal parts (2x back panels and 3 front doors) powder coated

Have to give credit to @Thomas as I followed his painting and priming process for the cabinet body over in this thread pretty meticulously - https://www.arcade-projects.com/threads/sega-astro-city-restored.18550/

Only thing I didn’t do was wet sanding the clear coat at the end to remove any of the orange peel texture.

Also I’m UK based so we don’t have easy access to Dupli Color products, so I used UK alternatives - Halfords VW Candy White for the base coat and Hycote car primer for the body, then plastic primer for the control panel

You could, of course take it to a car body shop for them to do most of it for you, but if you take your time, you’ll be fine - I’d never done anything like this prior

Nice! Thanks for the link to @Thomas guide! Great guide and one I'll be referring to often!

I'll give this a shot thanks to your advice and hopefully I can match the colors closely as I'm based in the US and those products should hopefully still be available!

Wondering what, grit sandpaper you used to smooth the panel once you applied the epoxy to the panel?

Thanks again for all the advice/help!
cheers

Last edited:
Just use something like 400 grit - nothing too abrasive. You could also use a medium (maroon coloured) Scotchbrite pad, depending on how thick you apply the epoxy.

Just get it down as flat as you can on the front - obviously doesn’t matter too much on the back, unless you’re OCD about that sort of thing! Provided it’s reasonably flat, the paint and clear coat will mask it

Just use something like 400 grit - nothing too abrasive. You could also use a medium (maroon coloured) Scotchbrite pad, depending on how thick you apply the epoxy.

Just get it down as flat as you can on the front - obviously doesn’t matter too much on the back, unless you’re OCD about that sort of thing! Provided it’s reasonably flat, the paint and clear coat will mask it
Nice! Thank you for the advice, i'll give it a go!

Back