What's new
AFAIK the Makvision monitor is the only one you can still buy new. Any they don't even make these anymore, it's just the last one produced and people still have stock left.

Occasionally someone will find a cache of NOS monitors in a dusty warehouse somewhere but they're usually snatched up in days if not hours of being posted online.

Thats a nice looking unit for sure, but its probably rounding a thousand bucks before its all said and done... but retro gaming + CRT is arcade bliss!

On KLOV there is someone selling NOS WG 27 inch 9400 Tri Sync. Its in Ohio so its gonna be a long drive or risky delivery

there is a guy in atlanta that has a lot of monitors. he is bad about responding to texts but he eventually does he is going to sell me 3 ds-9200 for $300 a unit with no burn.
also i cant really do much in KLOV. I'm register but i need someone in the forums to recommend me or something...

On KLOV there is someone selling NOS WG 27 inch 9400 Tri Sync. Its in Ohio so its gonna be a long drive or risky delivery
Is that a good price for NOS? Those monitors any good for a tri?

Don't know of the quality but i have bought NOS monitors for $450 each from a bulk buy. Shipping was pricey at $500 from NV to NC

Don't know of the quality but i have bought NOS monitors for $450 each from a bulk buy. Shipping was pricey at $500 from NV to NC
thanks for the point of reference, this is close enough I'd pick up

AFAIK the Makvision monitor is the only one you can still buy new.

Thread lurking, but anyone know if the Makvision 27" fits/works in a Neo Geo MVS cabinet to replace a 25" CRT? Looking for plan (B) or (C) if I can't get my QNIC CRT running correctly again.

Hunt for a used WG k7000 IMO the best looking 15Khz 25in monitor and they're super common too (at leas as common as arcade CRTs get)

I think the problem with the market now is people are hording CRTs because they realize they're getting super hard to find in general.

Hunt for a used WG k7000 IMO the best looking 15Khz 25in monitor and they're super common too (at leas as common as arcade CRTs get)

I think the problem with the market now is people are hording CRTs because they realize they're getting super hard to find in general.
For me it's an issue of shipping.... I see a lot of wells gardner k7000's for sale, but nothing within a days drive.

If you want a really high quality replacement monitor for the NNC you have to build one up yourself. Its a process of hunting down a PFX or Toshiba chassis while at the same time doing your tube homework. There are several flat 29" tube #s that will work for the NNC, each of those tubes #'s will have a set of deflection yokes that will be compatible with the tube. Of those tube compatible yokes, there 'might' be one yoke that has compatible impedance measurements for the PFX or Tosh chassis (you managed to get one of those, right ?). So its a very narrow range of compatibility.

You got 2 options for getting the tube/yoke

1. Easiest but rarest - Find a 29" flat HDCRT, check model #s against CNET and look for 1080i or 480p. If you get lucky this will have a compatible tube AND yoke (ie Samsung TX-R2765). Then its just a matter of swapping connectors over for the deflection yoke and degauss connectors, and you are good to go.

2. Harder but more common - You find 29" flat CRTs that are not HD. You figure out the tube number, then google your ass off looking for an HDCRT that uses the same tube number, then if you are lucky/good you can get a service manual and pull a deflection yoke part #. Google the DY # and you might get lucky and find some Chinese CRT yoke reseller who has that deflection yoke. Then with some proxy buying luck you can get the HD yoke for your tube. Now comes the fiddly process of getting your purity perfect and then messing with convergence rings till you give up or are satisfied.

I mention going through all the trouble in step 2 of finding that exact right deflection yoke because it is really hard to get a CRT dialed in just right when doing yoke and ring swaps. It makes it even harder/impossible if the deflection yoke you are using isn't designed for the tube you have. You could mess with it forever and never get it right.

I was able to determine that the 'A68QCU770XV5' is a compatible tube (A68QCU770) and has a pretty much compatible deflection yoke (XV5)
I found a non HDCRT TV (Emerson?) with a A68QCU770X tube and some non compatible deflection yoke. I found the XV5 deflection yoke on Taobao and through some proxy buying was able to get that yoke. I have since fitted the yoke to the tube and pry have it about 90-95% perfect, so its still not a slam dunk when doing yoke swaps, even with a known compatible one. I can pry get that extra 5% by doing convergence strips but its just a lot of fiddling.

I did manage option 1 after about a year of dedicated CRT sleuthing, was $5 on OfferUp. Option 2 was $20 for the TV and I think ~$50 for the DY shipped to me.

If you want a really high quality replacement monitor for the NNC you have to build one up yourself. Its a process ...
Thanks for the detailed reply. But why can't I reuse the chassis and deflection yoke, etc. from the current tube?

My NNC cabinets already have pretty good tubes. Not pristine mint condition. But pretty good. That said I would buy brand new replacements, to keep as spares, if they were available.

Back