• Get dead board

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

earthphoenix

Beginner
Reaction score
Hej,

Story:
I have a board from the first batch. I tried to apply the crackling sound fix. I removed the chip, tried the fix, ripped some wire from the pcb, had even more crackling. Darksoft was so nice to have a look at it, got it fixed and it worked on his machine. All he had was the main PCB. When I got it back, I had no sound (neither mono nor stereo).

Points of Failure:
  • my cab: ruled out as my STV (thanks for developing and selling it to me) works like a charm (+ see next point).
  • cps2 a motherboard: ruled out, during testing i got my hands on an unopened original cheap b board that works both stereo and mono.
  • sd card: ruled out i tried 5 cards of 4 different kinds, three diffrerent roms on each. one of the cards is a recommended samsung 4gb. furthermore, one of them worked before the crackling fix.

leaving
  • the b board: i installed the kit three times to see if a misplaced any pins. everytime the same: no sound. i dont want to kill abovementioned original board to test if it was the b board that is broken
  • a part of the kit
    • the big pcb: (practically) ruled out because darksoft tested that and the fix looks really awesome.
    • the small pcb
    • the small part linking both together
so, it looks like
  1. either i have to kill another board and test the kit on that (blue capcom sports club),
  2. find another already dead board () or
  3. get another kit, test everything and find the culprit...
Since i don't have so much experience, I would like to take my community joker and ask you: What would you do: 1), 2) or 3)?

Getting a new kit, testing it, and selling the remaining parts seems like the most probable and convenient way, but is also the most expensive... Killing a working board is a no-go. getting (and finding...) a dead board seems least probable to me and i might get a board that is already broken the same way mine could be.

The small board and link are for the main CPU program so if that isn't placed or is faulty you won't get anything but a solid color screen (CPU won't boot).

Have you tried your (supposedly faulty) B board again with EPROMs/ROMs?

I vote option D. Update your profile with location and ask someone with more experience to give you help locally.

@'@l_oliveira': i dont have a phoenix rom set so i haven't tried that one out. the games boot fine, just the sound is missing. so i guess we can rule the small pcb and link pcb out.

@'acblunden2': done. sweden. i already opened a thread in the local forum arkadtorget...

If you don't find a local help, I can send you a working and unpopulated B-Board for testing.
Keep me updated !

Back