What's new
IMO, MiSTer's days are numbered. When Raspberry Pi hardware beefs up quickly over the next few generations, the performance gap will close, while the price gap remains wide. Commoditization kicks in, then people will go with the best price. There will always be arguments over software vs. hardware emulation. At the end of the day, most people won't care. They'll just want to play games and will favor the side that costs them the least once they are up and running.

A PC right now performs better than MiSTer. Everything MiSTer can do, a PC can do plus more. You can get a PC up and running on an arcade cab for as little as the same price as the device you need to connect whatever is your emulation platform of choice to an arcade cab. For a MiSTer, it is MiSTerCADE, JAMMA extender, etc. For MAME, it is J-Pac, JAMMASD, etc. Then there is the cost of the base components. On a PC, the base components can have zero cost if using a decommissioned PC. MiSTer-base components is quite high.

I had always hesitated putting an arcade enthusiast's detailed instructions on how to get a MAME PC up and running on an arcade cab. I think this conversation has spurred me to change my mind.

Only in the case of physical damage. Otherwise, the answer is no.
The larger Tantalum cap near the amp was mysteriously absent on my A board save for its two leads that were still soldered to the board so either it got broken off or it had exploded. The board seemed to work without it, but I have added a new one back in its place.

Things like these are an investment, and sometimes its really just pay to play, with no other way around it. Always best to get in on the ground floor, where you can.
Honestly I see real hardware multis (and their console equivalent flash carts) as an antidote to the "investment" mentality that has been plaguing the old game hobbies for a while now. Being able to play certain games with perfect accuracy without paying crazy inflated prices per game has done wonders for this hobby. Now the collectors can just swap their VGA graded shelf queens amongst themselves and the rest of us can play games that would normally be out of reach or compromised by emulation.

Luckily, most good multis don't seem to have a problem with a availability, even years after release. They're also an antidote to the "limited/exclusive" mentality as well it seems, and that rules.

Lots of people rave about MiSTer being better but by what metric? is this quantifiable in any way or is it based entirely on the assumption that FPGA based emulation is better than software based emulation?
You hit the nail on the head. You are comparing emulation vs emulation, everyone compares to the original, which is what we have.

I dont think it will take long to see videos comparing both and show the differences.

20220208_122027.jpg

What about this guy selling a proto cps1 multi with B21 C-board but apparently not modded to program keys?
Is he able to run decrypted roms doing it that way?

he don't sell the proto, make preorders for Multi CPS1 complete setup
Oh alright, it is rather vague in the description for what is actually on sale.
It hurts a little that apparently he offers original capcom Q-sound module after all that has been said about being random, but I guess he is not part of the crew. Then again I just wanted to know about the C-board config mostly.

Very interresting, you know me I bought almost all multi, but I will never have any money or any place for eveything, MISTER/MAME is one solution for me to complet my set up:

If you are going to get a Mister, better get a Pandora Box, is cheaper and is also a new implementation of the original Hardware. Mark my words: "Nothing beats the original"

Why software emulation like MAME or Pandora box could be better MISTER?

Mister is an upgraded MAME with better PR. It will never fully replace the real thing. Anything that uses MAME as its source will have errors. MAME is riddled with errors.

If you don't care about hardware then MISTER is fine. I personally have zero interest in MISTER and will never own one.

For you FPGA cant reproduce perfectcly any game, also for example it's seems dodonpachi is perfect, 100% equal to original. Seems Jotego seem made a true deep retroingienery or Kevtris with Analog.

IMO, MiSTer's days are numbered. When Raspberry Pi hardware beefs up quickly over the next few generations, the performance gap will close, while the price gap remains wide. Commoditization kicks in, then people will go with the best price. There will always be arguments over software vs. hardware emulation. At the end of the day, most people won't care. They'll just want to play games and will favor the side that costs them the least once they are up and running.

A PC right now performs better than MiSTer. Everything MiSTer can do, a PC can do plus more. You can get a PC up and running on an arcade cab for as little as the same price as the device you need to connect whatever is your emulation platform of choice to an arcade cab. For a MiSTer, it is MiSTerCADE, JAMMA extender, etc. For MAME, it is J-Pac, JAMMASD, etc. Then there is the cost of the base components. On a PC, the base components can have zero cost if using a decommissioned PC. MiSTer-base components is quite high.

I had always hesitated putting an arcade enthusiast's detailed instructions on how to get a MAME PC up and running on an arcade cab. I think this conversation has spurred me to change my mind.

About cost it will decrease, we live a special period, but in few years price decrease. the question of input lag MISTER no lag versus MAME.

So help me to understand/find best solution to accompagned my original set up and complet it.

For you FPGA cant reproduce perfectcly any game, also for example it's seems dodonpachi is perfect, 100% equal to original. Seems Jotego seem made a true deep retroingienery or Kevtris with Analog.
I think this is where the true error is made. Mister Arcade Cores are only as good as the developer behind them, and Jotego has produced some incredible work with his stuff, but not ALL the cores have his skill set or dedication behind them. Some arcade cores are pretty rough, and Dodonpanchi is DEFINETLY not perfect. The person working on that core has gone silent for months.

But even with Jotego's dedication the cores are still not true 100% representations. I can always spot the difference in the sound, I really can. The CPS1 and CPS2 gameplay is damn good though, but those are the games I care the MOST about, so since I can have them in there original form, I will. Games like Dodonpachi, Contra, Pacman, Tapper, Sega System 16 etc I don't care a whole lot about so playing them on a MiSter set up is good enough for me.

I own a Pandora’s Box and the MiSTer, and can tell you the PB is dirty shite emulation.
It’s input laggy, there are sound and graphics glitches all over the place, the video output is not clean and crisp.
The only good thing about it is it’s cheap and has a large library of games.

But you pay for what you get.

The MiSTer is way above the quality of a Pandora’s Box.

Fun note: I currently have the MiSTer, Original PCB, and the Pandora’s Box set up in my cabinets right now:
21E4296D-37DB-4EAC-A346-332FC3B66EE4.jpeg

…and I can directly tell you, the PB is trash compared to the other 2.

I think this is where the true error is made. Mister Arcade Cores are only as good as the developer behind them, and Jotego has produced some incredible work with his stuff, but not ALL the cores have his skill set or dedication behind them. Some arcade cores are pretty rough, and Dodonpanchi is DEFINETLY not perfect. The person working on that core has gone silent for months.

Just out of curiosity, what are some of the big issues with the Dodonpachi Mister Core as it exists right now?

Just out of curiosity, what are some of the big issues with the Dodonpachi Mister Core as it exists right now?
Just some sprite/sound effect issues that most beta cores have early on. You can check out the patreon for the developer where the issues are better documented by the community, but sadly the developer has not updated anything for 6 months. Hopefully he's OK.

Just some sprite/sound effect issues that most beta cores have early on. You can check out the patreon for the developer where the issues are better documented by the community, but sadly the developer has not updated anything for 6 months. Hopefully he's OK.
Huh…i’ll have to check that out but i had heard that stuff was fixed. Was just curious. I hope he is okay as well. Thank you for the info!

https://github.com/nullobject

plenty of activity from him on github so I suspect he's alright

did people really read that pandora's box comment as darksoft literally claiming it was near or on the same level as a mister rather than being kind of intentionally absurd to make the point that they're both emulation in the end?

personally I go through the trouble of connecting things to a JAMMA harness because I want to play the real deal. don't see why any kind of emulation device should touch the harness when I have a desktop PC, MAME, and a HRAP to explore nearly every arcade game ever made. If something strikes me as really wonderful, I'll then try to obtain the real thing, which could take a week or a year. plugging that into a cab and playing the hell out of it is rewarding. Just having eight billion sorta-maybe-accurate games on a cab ready to go seems kinda "off" to me, like it doesn't do anything for me in terms of what I get out of the hobby. different strokes though, this is coming from someone who luckily got most of what he wanted when prices were nowhere near as insane.

did people really read that pandora's box comment as darksoft literally claiming it was near or on the same level as a mister rather than being kind of intentionally absurd to make the point that they're both emulation in the end?

personally I go through the trouble of connecting things to a JAMMA harness because I want to play the real deal. don't see why any kind of emulation device should touch the harness when I have a desktop PC, MAME, and a HRAP to explore nearly every arcade game ever made. If something strikes me as really wonderful, I'll then try to obtain the real thing, which could take a week or a year. plugging that into a cab and playing the hell out of it is rewarding. Just having eight billion sorta-maybe-accurate games on a cab ready to go seems kinda "off" to me, like it doesn't do anything for me in terms of what I get out of the hobby. different strokes though, this is coming from someone who luckily got most of what he wanted when prices were nowhere near as insane.

Oh I see. By people, you’re passively aggressively talking to me, so I’ll directly respond: 17+ years in collecting arcade gear here. Bought a lot of my collection in those same cheaper days you did.

I still prefer real hardware.

I still bought the CPS1 Multi. (And CPS2, and CPS3, and M72, and C2, and S16B, and F3, and MMS1…).
But the Pandora’s box has no right to be even associated to MiSTer though. Sure it’s emulation in different forms, but it’s vastly not in the same class.

While DS’s point was to bucket these together in a sort of soft condescending way, I find it grossly unfair to put these two in the same sentence and to presented as a comparison to the real deal. The PB is the bottom of the non-original hardware barrel. The MiSTer is at the top.

In fact, before today I haven’t heard of anyone mention a PB in a long time. That shit is old news. The mister is hot right now because it’s the traditional software emulation killer.

Back