What's new
Count me in! We still run hyper fighting tournaments at our arcade in SoCal so anymore cps1 helps!
where in SoCal?? I’m in the Tustin area. I would love to join the local scene here.
We’re in Azuza,CA Super Arcade 123 e foothill Blvd, Azuza! Hyper Fighting tournament this Sunday!
Oh dang, that's a bit far from Orange County, but I'll try to make it out. At least on Sunday the traffic won't be too bad *fingers crossed*.

I'm interested in this if it would use PSRAM, or have every game flashed and banked from the start.

I'm interested in this if it would use PSRAM, or have every game flashed and banked from the start.
I'd like to see this also. Instant loading and no stuffing around with downloading Roms / SD card failure, corruption. The cps1 library is small, why bother with an SD card?

Would love to see an onscreen menu too. Please, no more LCD screens, I really don't like them. :)

I'd like to see this also. Instant loading and no stuffing around with downloading Roms / SD card failure, corruption. The cps1 library is small, why bother with an SD card?
Would love to see an onscreen menu too. Please, no more LCD screens, I really don't like them. :)
See I prefer the LCD screen, it makes it feel more original. Onscreen Menu feels semi-hacky.

But I'm not trying to win tournaments or submit high scores, so realistically I'm good either way.

I'm in for an OSD, but regarding SD card, I actually like the flexibility of being able to rename titles, omit titles, etc.
-ud

LCD screens, to me, aren't user friendly. I mean you need to mount it somewhere, fabricate a case for it, find the correct length of cable, have it accessible; all these variables alter from each person's setup and whether it's going in a cab or being used in a supergun setup. Then there's the fact you can't quickly cycle through a games list. Extra cost, another device that draws power, another piece of hardware in the chain that can fail or be faulty. More messy wiring to deal with.

SD card doesn't bother me as much, but I still don't feel it's necessary in this particular device. Omit the SD card and you gain instant load times. Naming doesn't matter as you can customise this within an onscreen menu. Only valid reason for utilising an SD card is perhaps to avoid legal issues, as Darksoft won't be supplying Roms with the hardware.

I'm opening my cab with CPS2 to get into the service menu to turn off demo sounds and put on free play anyways, it's never bothered me to use the LCD screen. No hacky "hold this button and this joystick position for 3 seconds" nonsense like the OSD has. But I really don't have strong feelings about it either way, I'm not one to switch games every 5 minutes.

Without sd card we wouldn't have updated firmwares and roms to keywriting so easily, it's done to make interface with updates easier, rom packs on one click, thanks to smokemonster's roll up packs... I can't imagine myself going back to the discovery card again or trying to burn roms to get things updated... and yes sometimes good people do surprising conversions that makes storage worth having, that's something the multi's should open, new room for developers... lcd screen is important when there is more games than room in the head to manage dipswitches, I believe I wouldn't bother for a multi which has 5 games to spend money and time with screen... imho ingame menu is the best when the library is big and whenever it's possible and not time consuming for the team, what's the problem with holding a hotkeys to access it ? you can also simply ignore it's existence

^ excellent. I like the LCD process. Makes me commit to one title at a time because it requires you to open your cab to switch games. I too would rather less hacks for Menu hooks and such.

I would expect this kit to work similar to or previous kits. (flash)

I would NOT expect an on-screen menu.
704.jpg

LCD is just fine, works easier and quicker than OSD like MVS.
But in case of MVS the library is just too huge for scrolling via LCD :)

I'm still up for one, regardless of SD card and LCD. :)

I imagine it will be quite similar to the CPS2 multi in regards to installation? User provides ABC boards, Darksoft supplies multi PCB that docks to B board?

Back