What's new
no osd menus for me, i like the lcd/oled selectors better.

I have Aje-Fr CPS1 multi and the little Oled is great. It would be the way to go, and coupled with the arduino boards, etc.. would make them easy to interface with other multis I think. So for those looking to do remote screen selectors not mounted directly on the multi that would be great as well.

Last edited:
Just one thing about the LCD selector PCB - I have noticed for CPS1.5 multi the LCD is mounted on C Board - pressing buttons puts stress on the C board. DS CPS2/F3 multi LCD design was better and hopefully this time too it would be similar, not mounted directly on the B Board but use cable.

I just have to ask. Will Final Fight be a good donor board or is it still too early for this ?

Just one thing about the LCD selector PCB - I have noticed for CPS1.5 multi the LCD is mounted on C Board - pressing buttons puts stress on the C board. DS CPS2/F3 multi LCD design was better and hopefully this time too it would be similar, not mounted directly on the B Board but use cable.
Exactly our point. :thumbup:

A lot of legitimate questions here.

Yes of course we could develop a CPS1 or CPS2 on-screen menu but:
- design would have to be completely rethink to bank switch the menu
- it adds a lot a developing hours, thus has an impact on final price

Regarding the 14-in-1 CPS1 kit, people tend to forget most games are hacks and ALL of them are modified for the menu to work. Far from the original experience we'd like to propose to players.

Regarding the 14-in-1 CPS1 kit, people tend to forget most games are hacks and ALL of them are modified for the menu to work. Far from the original experience we'd like to propose to players.
I couldn't explain it better.

[CPS1] 28, according to system16.com
In that 28 you included "Ken Sei Mogura" which is a whack-a-mole redemption machine that approximately 2 people on the planet will bother to build at home :)

[CPS2] My count's got 40 playable on the DS kit
You missed "Super Street Fighter 2: Tournament Battle."
-ud

Here's the problem, @Darksoft or @Mitsurugi-w or @Apocalypse can probably confirm if I'm wrong on any of this.

It's not as simple as writing a menu to select a game because the LCD screen is attached to an Arduino which is in turn operating an FPGA (multiple FPGAs?) on the multi board

In order to have your on screen menu you have to write an interface for the 68k on the CPS1 or CPS2 to talk to that FPGA and give it the same instructions that the Arduino does.

You have to fit that menu and those instructions into a small enough space that the game you want to load can still address and use all the memory space it requires since if your menu is in any of that space, it'll crash.

Given how much code is going to be required just to interface with the FPGA ignoring the code to actually have the menu itself and the code to all the FPGA to load each of your 30+ games - your chances of fitting it into the quite possibly zero memory space left when loading the largest game on the system (Hyper SF2 Anniversary)

The MVS was designed from the ground up to have a menu and the Chinese bootleg carts had already done it, so there was a blueprint in place for a menu system and proof the memory space existed to make it work.

The Chinese bootleg CPS1 and CPS2 boards used an external screen. I just don't think it would be possible to have an OSD without adding additional memory to the multi B board and booting that first, then booting from the flash ROMs once they're loaded.

It would be an enormous task and a significant increase in price both in design and testing and manufacturing cost to make it happen
Thanks for that explanation.
I just have to ask. Will Final Fight be a good donor board or is it still too early for this ?
Isn't final fight one of those boards that are priced rather high?

Ok so seems its not a limitation it could actually be done but the work involved is big. For the amount of games on CPS2 I think it would have been worthwhile.

Is there a way then that the LCD firmware can be modified so the 'currently playing...' string stops interrupting the scrolling through the LCD and also a memory option to leave the list at the same spot as scrolled to?

Is there a way then that the LCD firmware can be modified so the 'currently playing...' string stops interrupting the scrolling through the LCD and also a memory option to leave the list at the same spot as scrolled to?
+1

Back