What's new
hello guys, I'm very excited about this project, hopefully one of my 2 cps1 board will be compatible. I found this board somewhere on the internet.
is it the C board that is being discuss here that might be needed for the multi?
The C board hasn't yet been confirmed. The only thing confirmed at this stage is that you need an A board running 12mhz. Can be any A board but if 10mhz it needs the crystal swapped.
How do you identify that your board is running a 12mhz??

Attachments

• 10MHZ.jpg
    10MHZ.jpg
    134.8 KB · Views: 92
  • 12MHZ.jpg
    12MHZ.jpg
    212.4 KB · Views: 93
all cps1 games will run on 10mhz or 12mhz. 12mhz improves performance slighlty on same games amd was the standard for sf2ce, sf2hf, pang 3 (and i think one other game?). It is the safe bet for all games. If theres something to it, i'm interested to know more.

To determine what oscillator your board has, the easiest way is to look at it. It is around the middle of the A board and is clearly labeled. It is a metal rectangular component and will say 10 mhz or 12 mhz right on it

For those asking these questions, there are dedicated threads on this forum.

Also worth noting is that a simple crystal transplant will convert your 10mhz to a 12mhz (dash) board.

It's a really simple process with just 4 points to desolder/solder. The crystals are extremely cheap too. There's no need to be particularly concerned with what CPS-1 "A" board you have. Obviously just try to get a nice clean one that functions fine.

all cps1 games will run on 10mhz or 12mhz. 12mhz improves performance slighlty on same games amd was the standard for sf2ce, sf2hf, pang 3 (and i think one other game?). It is the safe bet for all games. If theres something to it, i'm interested to know more.

To determine what oscillator your board has, the easiest way is to look at it. It is around the middle of the A board and is clearly labeled. It is a metal rectangular component and will say 10 mhz or 12 mhz right on it

For those asking these questions, there are dedicated threads on this forum.
All of the B-21 games ran on 12mhz

SF2CE
SF2HF
Knights of the Round
Captain Commando
Pang 3
King of Dragons
Quiz and Dragons
3 Wonders

If theres something to it, i'm interested to know more.
Some of the CPS1 conversions I've seen made from SF2:CE boards (how we used to play all the games) didn't run correctly if left attached to the original CE's Dash A-board (12mhz).
I'm not a coder so I can't say as to why only a few games are affected by a faster clock speed but in my experience a few (OG 10Mhz) are.

Maybe @Apocalypse could confirm/deny this, and perhaps speak to why it might be?

From personal experience I can also say that some 10MHz games play exactly the same on 12MHz boards only the slowdowns are reduced. Final Fight for example.

still I play it on 10MHz board though as that is how it should be ;)

Upgrading a 10MHz PCB to 12MHz
According to Apocalypse even if you do have a 10MHz board it can be upgraded to a 12MHz by replacing the crystal: Interest Check: Darksoft CPS1 Multi - Unofficial
Most games should work on either board, there will just be more slow-downs on the 10MHz variants.
This image shows where this crystal is located.
I'm having difficulty reading what the chip says in that picture. Does anyone know which part you would need to buy to make a 12MHz cystal upgrade? Thanks in advance.

Maybe @Apocalypse could confirm/deny this, and perhaps speak to why it might be?
Yes a some 10Mhz play too fast on 12Mhz mobos (1941, Forgotten Worlds).
I've never looked as why.
Could be some games execute their game logic then wait for the vblank interrupt (1 game cycle between two vblanks) whereas others execute their game logic in a loop that gets interrupted by the vblank (can be more than 1 full game cycle between two vblanks if CPU time allows).

Upgrading a 10MHz PCB to 12MHz
According to Apocalypse even if you do have a 10MHz board it can be upgraded to a 12MHz by replacing the crystal: Interest Check: Darksoft CPS1 Multi - Unofficial
Most games should work on either board, there will just be more slow-downs on the 10MHz variants.
This image shows where this crystal is located.
I'm having difficulty reading what the chip says in that picture. Does anyone know which part you would need to buy to make a 12MHz cystal upgrade? Thanks in advance.
I did this upgrade a couple years ago for myself and a few other forum members:
http://the-artcade.blogspot.com/2018/06/cps1-dash-kick-harness-upgrade.html

This is the one I bought for the upgrade:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/12MHz-Xtal...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

@mthngn Those images you posted are actually from my blog. The 12mhz crystal shown in those pictures is not the original CPS1 crystal. That is the upgraded one I linked in my previous post.

For determining if your board has a 12mhz crystal, you can either look at it directly on your board by removing the B-board attached... or there may be a "DASH" sticker attached near the JAMMA edge on your board. That also indicates it's a 12mhz version.

Yes a some 10Mhz play too fast on 12Mhz mobos (1941, Forgotten Worlds).I've never looked as why.
Could be some games execute their game logic then wait for the vblank interrupt (1 game cycle between two vblanks) whereas others execute their game logic in a loop that gets interrupted by the vblank (can be more than 1 full game cycle between two vblanks if CPU time allows).
The very early games, chances are it's using the hardware differently.

Otherwise, going by my version of KOD needed a -12 motherboard due to new slowdown from mul protection done in CPU.
Maybe giving the cpu a little more work (for no reason in those cases) will slow things down similar but to a correct speed.

Maybe giving the cpu a little more work (for no reason in those cases) will slow things down similar but to a correct speed.
ah the classic "CPU Killer" method (like playing Kings Quest/DOS games on a i9 Intel)...
Problem is how you can say the load timing will keep it at a constant rate/original rate?
It would be somewhat dynamic based on number of instructions executed in that given cycle, would it not?

If anyone in Australia without soldering skills needs their CPS-1 Motherboard upgraded to 12mhz, just ask.

I obviously won't charge anything outside of shipping back to you. Just provide the 12mhz crystal. If enough people need this, I will order some crystals.

Back