What's new
A hardware solution should be feasable, plenty of ways to solve this.
Running an old M68K outside it's range is not advised, you will be subjecting it to EOS.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Failure_of_electronic_components#Electrical_overstress

If you blow the CPU you will have to change a 68 PIN PLCC device which is not fun.
This is theory, the 68000 is in general rock solid.
Look at MVS/CPS1 boards, they use overclocked Z80 by a lot, still after 25 years most still work, and those that have failed had an incredible number of operating hours before failure.
I've seen many old Macs and even industry machines using overclocked 68000, never saw one failed.
To me the risk is slight, we're talking of 20% overclock on a CPU known for it's stability and reliability.
I'd be happy to let run a CPS1 A-board with overclocked CPU for as long as it needs before failure but I can almost guarantee the CPS-A-01 chip will fail way before the CPU.

Is there a list for which boards have what crystals in them? Is it specific to each game, or can the same game have diferent crystals?

Would be great to have that info posted here for everyone to see.

:D

I thought that Capcom CPS-1 boards were designed to be able to switch cartridges like a Neo Geo.

Capcom released a Neo Geo-like home console for CPS-1 games. How did they handle the varying clock speed requirements?

Maybe the additional CPU power on SF2 turbo was to correct some of the slow-down that was present in earlier versions and not to make the games run faster. I know that sort of thing upsets some people but if I had to make a sacrafice, losing slow-down wouldn't be the worst thing in the world.

I thought that Capcom CPS-1 boards were designed to be able to switch cartridges like a Neo Geo.
Not exactly, they have a "main board" and a "rom board" so you can swap out the ROM boards, but the CPU and system clock is on the main board, so swapping them out still causes clock speed issues.

Capcom released a Neo Geo-like home console for CPS-1 games. How did they handle the varying clock speed requirements?
it wasn't "neo geo-like" at all. their "console" was basically just a supergun, so you swapped out the main board and rom board together as one giant "cartridge". So clock speed wasn't a problem because you were swapping out the CPU and clock with every game.

How is aj_fr handling this?
Tell him it's too late. We all want Darksoft's kit now...
I dealt with aje_fr in the past and I can say he's a good cookie.
Our goal is not to enter in competition with him since he stopped making them few years ago but rather to satisfy a personal need (I would have bought aje's solution rather than designing a new one if it was available) and the demand that exists.
Also we would like to push things further with some improvements:
- games loaded from SD (aje's solution had them already burnt in) for copyright reasons and flexibility (each user can make their selection)
- C-board auto-detection
Otherwise aje's design is great with spinners support and kick harness directly from the B-board for users using a C-board not supporting it.

it wasn't "neo geo-like" at all. their "console" was basically just a supergun, so you swapped out the main board and rom board together as one giant "cartridge". So clock speed wasn't a problem because you were swapping out the CPU and clock with every game.
http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...coms_first_and_only_attempt_at_a_home_console

Yeah the end piece was just a cheap composite SuperGun with SNES controller ports. I believe you can use it on actual CPS1/2/3 boards as well as a bunch of other JAMMA boards. It's pretty cool, I wish I had one BITD.

Well, on one side we have a finalized product which has already been tested and sold to several people (Darksoft is one of these, IIRC :P ) and didn't see any complaint (again, I'm at Google Translator's mercy since my French is very very limited), on the other side a *very* promising product but we still don't have an ETA for it.

Having the possibility of loading games from an SD is *huge* as is the (maybe) possibility to use any motherboard to play all games at their correct speed.

We shall see, there are so many factors in play, it's hard to say "I'm going for this" or "I'll pick that".
If someone feels he's alright with aje_fr solution he might pick that when and if it becomes available again.
Personally, I'd rather wait for a SD solution with a frequency switcher, but if this doesn't come out in, say, 1 or 2 years, I might choose to go another route, shall one present itself.

Definitely not that 32-in-1 hackjob.

Well, on one side we have a finalized product which has already been tested and sold to several people (Darksoft is one of these, IIRC :P ) and didn't see any complaint (again, I'm at Google Translator's mercy since my French is very very limited), on the other side a *very* promising product but we still don't have an ETA for it.

Having the possibility of loading games from an SD is *huge* as is the (maybe) possibility to use any motherboard to play all games at their correct speed.

We shall see, there are so many factors in play, it's hard to say "I'm going for this" or "I'll pick that".
If someone feels he's alright with aje_fr solution he might pick that when and if it becomes available again.
Personally, I'd rather wait for a SD solution with a frequency switcher, but if this doesn't come out in, say, 1 or 2 years, I might choose to go another route, shall one present itself.

Definitely not that 32-in-1 hackjob.
I have Aje_fr cps1 multi kit, I love it and think its great, but I will still buy 2 of the Darksoft/Apocalypse kits, not only for the reasons Apocalypse pointed out, but because Darksoft is forever improving his products and the level of support he offers its something rarely seen, even from large product manufacturers with deep pockets.

And I'll buy the Darksoft/Apocalypse version because I am not French. Aje_fr only sells to the French.

Back