What's new
I have 2 "dash" A boards ... 1 long and 1 short.
Far as I'm aware... Not possible unless by some after market modification.Lets ask @undamned just to be sure (he is a CPS1 expert).

What I believed to be true about A boards...
  • First version released was the long, it only came in 10mhz.
  • Next version released was the short, it only came in 10mhz.
  • Final version released was the dash, it has the same footprint as the short but with 12mhz crystal.
  • While not a CPS1 technically, the CPS1.5 is basically a dash board including Q-sound.
a long board 88617A-7b with 12mHz (dash - quiz) / 89626A-4 board with 12mHz (dash - SF II Hyper)

what's funny is everyone talks about A-Board failure. I recently went through all of my CPS1 equipment 5 complete board sets. All 5 A-Boards work perfectly, but I had 2 completely dead B/C board setups and 1 B/C board with some flaky graphics.

I'm ok with the long boards. They're going to be sitting inside cabinets anyway. I don't display all my boards out in the open. When you have kids, you try to make sure your prized possessions aren't so easy to access.

But as for modding a longboard with a 12mhz crystal. Yes, it should function exactly like a short "dash" board.

Is this the "My A-boards are shorter than yours" club?
Yes?
Hehe I'll tell you why I like 'em so much, they fit inside the Vewlix cab/compartment without angling the PCB.
Sure I could angle it, I need to do this with CPS2, I just don't like it.

Another reason why I like em, at one time (I think they now finally offer longboard) you could only buy short/dash plexi's from Highflow.nl.

Is this the "My A-boards are shorter than yours" club?
Yes?Hehe I'll tell you why I like 'em so much, they fit inside the Vewlix cab/compartment without angling the PCB.
Sure I could angle it, I need to do this with CPS2, I just don't like it.

Another reason why I like em, at one time (I think they now finally offer longboard) you could only buy short/dash plexi's from Highflow.nl.
That is because I sent my SF2WW with short board to him for taking measurements :P

So some games were meant to run at 10mhz and some at 12mhz?

Will some users decide to have two full cps1 multi set ups then? One on 10mhz and one on 12mhz?

So some games were meant to run at 10mhz and some at 12mhz?

Will some users decide to have two full cps1 multi set ups then? One on 10mhz and one on 12mhz?
Maybe someone will design a board with two crystals and a switch to select between them. Maybe it will be a part of the CPS1 Multi.

what's funny is everyone talks about A-Board failure. I recently went through all of my CPS1 equipment 5 complete board sets. All 5 A-Boards work perfectly, but I had 2 completely dead B/C board setups and 1 B/C board with some flaky graphics.
I have had the same experience, I have around 8 CPS1 A boards, all work, B+C have issues for a couple of them. And most of these are old and beaten up A boards.

I have around 8 CPS1 A boards, all work, B+C have issues for a couple of them. And most of these are old and beaten up A boards.
Makes me hopeful about the future of CPS1, I mean if that IS the common point of failure (B+C) the Darksoft multi is replacing/solving it.

I'm interested in one of these, and plenty of time to save up for it as well :D

I have around 8 CPS1 A boards, all work, B+C have issues for a couple of them. And most of these are old and beaten up A boards.
Makes me hopeful about the future of CPS1, I mean if that IS the common point of failure (B+C) the Darksoft multi is replacing/solving it.
Mask ROMs are a common point of failure

As are the C customs

As are the A customs :(

Back