What's new
You can reverse this installation cleanly and you’re not destroying the original hardware to get them installed.
We need to find a commitment. Purists would only want to play with a B-21
I'm very torn on this. I want originality but I don't want to see people (and they will) destroying C boards, customs and multi kits attempting the transplant.

It's also going to be a problem with people attempting to add key writing to non battery C boards.

So that is a C Board Repro that convert anything to B-21. What about a C Board that convert any C board in to any C Board?
The DIP switches allow you to set the B-21 to act as any other C board

I thought @Apocalypse had worked out how to make any C board work as any other C board?

I thought @Apocalypse had worked out how to make any C board work as any other C board?
He did, you need to solder to the C-board to enable the key to be written by the multi.
Just like on CPS2, the multi will load the encrypted ROMs and send/store the key on the B21 allowing it to play.

This is why you can't really use that custom C-board @-Ace- posted above, the multi won't be able to send/store the key.
I guess if you could get the multi to load the encrypted ROMs you could potentially set the customs C's DIP switches yourself...
But who the fuck would want that? It would prevent you from using a sexy enclosure/case and a LCD selector. :thumbdown:

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm very torn on this. I want originality but I don't want to see people (and they will) destroying C boards, customs and multi kits attempting the transplant.

It's also going to be a problem with people attempting to add key writing to non battery C boards.
being able to mod non-battery c-boards will likely save people from destroying them trying to transplant chips. but I agree even that will see people butchering otherwise fine c-boards trying to save a few bucks from sending it out to get properly modded.

IMO the best options would be:
1. allow for battery backed c-board for those that want to be as authentic as possible
2. provide either repo c-board or the ability to run patched games with the user's c-board of chose for those who don't care as much about authenticity and just want to play the damn games with a cheap, plug-in donor.

IMO the best options would be:
1. allow for battery backed c-board for those that want to be as authentic as possible
2. provide either repo c-board or the ability to run patched games with the user's c-board of chose for those who don't care as much about authenticity and just want to play the damn games with a cheap, plug-in donor.
I think we have a winner.

Wasn't there a cache of B-21 chips discovered recently and being sold somewhere? Or was that for another CPS custom chip?

Wasn't there a cache of B-21 chips discovered recently and being sold somewhere? Or was that for another CPS custom chip?
They were B-21s, but there was a lot of dispute over how many were truly available compared to what the seller was claiming.

Seems a pretty good chunk of them went toward the C boards that Lydz is selling. Last I saw, not much more was known about where they went. I think @undamned mentioned getting a hold of some of them in his CPS1 Infinikey thread, a while back.

UTsource was selling B-21 chips and reported like 8k available. If you think 8k sold out in a year, I have some swampland to sell you. I'm guessing < 1k. I saw a few other arcade repair guys post up pics of the few they purchased, so I figured I'd pick up 10 pieces for repairs/experiments.

They are legit, but the ones I got are definitely pulls, not NOS. A few were missing corner pins, and at least one had corrupt graphics. Thankfully I only needed a few for repairs/testing InfiniKey stuff.

After I decided to pull the trigger on a full C-board replacement InfiniKey, I went to order 100 pieces and they were all gone. I'm guessing biggest consumers were aje_fr, lydz and darksoft/mitsu, as they all have related projects. But again, I would be surprised if even 1k were ever available from UTsource.
-ud

More than ever I need this mutli in my life. After losing a Warth pcb on an auction even after put 250$ on the line. Damn it damn damn it. I need the multi. I got snipe damn it

Seems this is the most anticipated arcade multi ever. Definitely the most deserved platform for preserving. So many classics. Thanks for working on this.

There was someone over on UKV that managed to get a few custom B-21's from that batch but was also pondering the possibilities of creating universal C board not sure how far he got with his design.

LINK

Hopefully this doesn't just sound lazy, but does anyone have a good comprehensive CPS1 guide? I'm still a bit leery about my donor board selection simply because I know very little about the platform -- other than I like the games list, a lot.

Will these be sold the same way as CPS2 multis in EU?

Saveyourgames.it has been amazing to deal with, so I hope so!

Could the B21 functionality be reproduced in an FPGA so that a donor chip / PCB isn't required at all? Jotego is beta-testing an implementation of CPS1 for the MiSTer FPGA platform, and he'll be making the source code available publicly once the core is complete. It should have FPGA implementation details for C boards.

Back