What's new
I'm away for a few days. Can anyone post a picture of the A Board of CPS1.5 that has empty the ADPCM section?

Thanks!
not the best, but here it goes:
fF73zQX.jpg

Also dip switches are (obviously) missing
Thanks a lot @Nebula. Pinging @eathis

Thanks to all for the pictures and for the help :) now I see what is the ADPCM section and how to be sure that the A-boards is a 12Mhz.
It make things easier to be sure which boards to buy or not.

I'm not a noob in arcade but I'm a real noob with CPS1

Thanks to all for the pictures and for the help :) now I see what is the ADPCM section and how to be sure that the A-boards is a 12Mhz.
Thought it was just said two pages back that any A-board will work.. is this not the case? Do we need 12MHz and ADPCM?

Thought it was just said two pages back that any A-board will work.. is this not the case? Do we need 12MHz and ADPCM?
ADPCM is part-and-parcel of being a CPS1 board. A CPS1 board without ADPCM is a CPS1.5 board, though it is possible to repopulate the proper parts onto it.

12MHz crystal question is, as of yet, publicly undecided. There has been quite a lot of discussion and no solid answers have dropped. The good news is, the crystal swap is fairly simple to do if necessary (and a $2 part) so it's not a big deal if you need to do it.

The 12mhz crystal is necessary to run any games from SF2CE onwards at the correct speed.

A 10mhz board can be easily upgraded and will be required.

There has been discussion around a adjustable crystal for those older 10mhz games that rely on the correct crystal being in place rather than being specifically programmed for 10mhz (I think Carrier Air Wing is the only game affected but I'm not 100% sure)

The 12mhz crystal is not undecided. It is necessary to run any games from CE onwards at the correct speed.

A 10mhz board can be easily upgraded.
At one point there was speculation that the multi kit could include the 10/12MHz clock functionality and dynamically switch between them depending on the game being played. I think that is what @KalessinDB meant by 'publicly undecided'.

Thought it was just said two pages back that any A-board will work
@Derick2k said that, and I also said 2 pages back that 1.5 wouldn't because of the issue with ADPCM that @Darksoft then verified...
You should be listing to me! :rolleyes:
Any A board will work with the multi.
Correction any cps1.0 a-board will work... But the cps1.5 a-boards (often) lack the adpcm section
I've said it many many times in this thread already... But I'll say it once more.

The easiest, most compatible single CPS1 game you can get for use with this upcoming multi is
SF2:CE or SF2:TE

This is because from they factory they always came on 12mhz (Dash) A-boards (with full ADPCM sections) and are very common.
Do keep in mind some asshole can swap the A-boards around and sell it mismatched however, so please verify before you buy.

Even IF you could use a CPS 1.5 A-board (can't) why on earth would you?
A Punisher is selling for 600$+ on eBay right now, why the fuck wouldn't you rather use a 200$ CE?
Like the smell of money burning? :huh:

If you only own a Punisher? Sell it, and buy both the multi and CE with the profits (I sold mine for 300$ cuz I'm not a douchbag flipper).
t0jH2Z9.jpg

6aKlI8k.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll tell you what.
Anyone who has a fully working PCB stack with the ADPCM section missing from their A-Board, I will gladly trade you a fully working stack suitable for the multi with the ADPCM section populated.

No joke, this is a real offer :D

I'll tell you what.Anyone who has a fully working PCB stack with the ADPCM section missing from their A-Board, I will gladly trade you a fully working stack suitable for the multi with the ADPCM section populated.

So I can trade my Punisher and C&D for 2x SF2CE stacks?
Great deal :thumbsup:

If I would actually own those 2 stacks, I would jump on this offer :P

I'll tell you what.Anyone who has a fully working PCB stack with the ADPCM section missing from their A-Board, I will gladly trade you a fully working stack suitable for the multi with the ADPCM section populated.
So I can trade my Punisher and C&D for 2x SF2CE stacks?Great deal :thumbsup:

If I would actually own those 2 stacks, I would jump on this offer :P
I'll take those two and mail you my bootleg SF2 Turbo. Of course, you will have to pay for my shipping as well! :P

can I pay for anything else while I'm at it? :P
I'm in the US, so I will have to charge you for the COVID-19 I'll be sending as well, but since you have given me such good deals in the past, I will only charge $700 for the COVID... you're welcome! :P

lol :D
Didn't know $700 was the going rate nowadays for a Covid-19 contamination, thought you could get it for free now in most parts of the US... Luckily situation is going quite good now over here.

Anyway back on topic, I need this multi for when we go into the next lockdown :P

Guys, I'm a little confused.

I understand the A board, but I thought if I had a working CPS1 game, such as SF2CE (full game). I was set?

Why are people just buying a C board as if it is needed for the multi?

CPS1 C Boards - Multi Compatible

I thought the multi came with a B and C board that you plugged into an A board?

Did I miss something?

Guys, I'm a little confused.

I understand the A board, but I thought if I had a working CPS1 game, such as SF2CE (full game). I was set?

CPS1 C Boards - Multi Compatible

I thought the multi came with a B and C board that you plugged into an A board?

Did I miss something?
The plan was that the multi would include the C boards Custom chip already soldered, but that would have entailed sacrificing original working boards/games most likely. So...its bee decided to to use your own C boards instead, if you still want to not use one and instead solder the custom chip directly on the multi I believe that is also an option.

As for the C boards for sale, they are so cheap, why would you want a spare since they are available? i would rather swap out just the A boards between games. I actually bought a spare A board as well, dont have to take away from my other games.

1. The multi will support using your own B21 C-board if you want (must support key writing).
  2. It will also support hot air transfer of the actual custom chip at this point as well (not for most people).
  3. Finally steps are being taken to totally bypass the need for a C-board period (but nothing solid has been publicly announced).

@XtraSmiley I believe the CPS1 multi is capable of running unencrypted games on the B-Board replacement alone. To run encrypted Roms you will require an original C-board in addition.

Back