What's new
To run encrypted Roms you will require an original C-board in addition
A solution is being worked on to address this, because you are right...
Currently, without the ability to inject a key into the custom (C-board) you can't run encrypted sets.

The custom is well documented at this point and some options for the future do exist.
Of course as mentioned running decrypted sets will always be an option as well (think of it like a phoenix multi).

Last edited by a moderator:
I have had this back in the day when I was buying Punishers and the rest for $25-50. Not sure what ever happened to the rom board, but can anything be done with this?
image0(2).jpeg

Not sure what ever happened to the rom board, but can anything be done with this?
You can convert any CPS1.0 4MB MASK-ROM TYPE B-board (SF2:CE/TE) to be used in a CPS1.5 stack.
L2qF1su.jpg

Use the version of the ROMs decrypted/patched for keyless B21 C-board operation.
Thats a Captain Commando conversion, also build on 4MB Mask type with B21 C-board.

I have had this back in the day when I was buying Punishers and the rest for $25-50. Not sure what ever happened to the rom board, but can anything be done with this?
If you pick up one of the battery backed CPS1 B&C boards like Capcom World 2, or Varth, etc. You can use ArcadeHacker's Kabuki and C-Board revive tools along with some new ROMs to make that any Q-Sound game you'd like.

or I'd be inclined to buy it if you're interested in selling :)

If you pick up one of the battery backed CPS1 B&C boards like Capcom World 2, or Varth, etc. You can use ArcadeHacker's Kabuki and C-Board revive tools along with some new ROMs to make that any Q-Sound game you'd like.
or I'd be inclined to buy it if you're interested in selling :)
So it HAS to be a B-21 B/C board game? I think I tried plugging in a CPS1 conversion made from a World Warrior with a B-17 and the game worked, but I didn't have audio. Is that because it has to be a B-21 w/ a battery? When you say use "Arcadehackers kabuki", do you mean the kabuki chip that is on CPS1.5 boards? I have a pile of those unless your talking something different.

So it HAS to be a B-21 B/C board game? I think I tried plugging in a CPS1 conversion made from a World Warrior with a B-17 and the game worked, but I didn't have audio. Is that because it has to be a B-21 w/ a battery?
No.

CPS1.5 games use Q-Sound audio, CPS1 games have ADPCM audio, If you play a Q-Sound game on a CPS1 you get no audio, if you play a CPS1 game on a CPS1.5 board you get no audio.

B-21 is essentially a graphics chip, it has nothing to do with why you had no audio. Rather your "converted" game was designed for ADPCM audio and you're trying to run it on a Q-Sound board set.

When you say use "Arcadehackers kabuki", do you mean the kabuki chip that is on CPS1.5 boards? I have a pile of those unless your talking something different.
Kabuki Z80 chips lose their programming when the battery dies or the chip is removed from the PCB just like CPS2. And just like with CPS2 Arcade Hacker made a tool to "revive" them once that happens. Similarly battery-backed C-Board lose their programming when the battery dies, and just like CPS2 Arcade Hacker made a tool to revive those too.

This is relevant because... just like CPS2... different games have different different programming depending on the game, so if you want to swap to another game you need to swap that programming, if you want to use the original encrypted code.

None of this is useful for the multi, but it is useful if you want to use those parts to put together a Q-Sound game.

CPS1.5 games use Q-Sound audio, CPS1 games have ADPCM audio, If you play a Q-Sound game on a CPS1 you get no audio, if you play a CPS1 game on a CPS1.5 board you get no audio.
Is there any way to convert the CPS1 ADPCM audio to the format necessary for it to be played through Q-sound on the CPS1.5 D-board?

Is there any way to convert the CPS1 ADPCM audio to the format necessary for it to be played through Q-sound on the CPS1.5 D-board?
No, IF we had a way to convert CPS1's ADPCM audio into Q-sound we might not have needed to make a CPS1 multi period.
All CPS1 games could have been played on CPS2 multi if we also figured out the spright latching/rendering differences.

Progress was made with Punisher/CaD because they already use Q-sound and wouldn't be subject to this audio issue...
But it was never finished, the payoff was more or less deemed not worth the work/time involved.

PCM audio would have to be hand ported by a human based totally on observation/ear, no direct conversion possible.
Sometimes called a "monkey see monkey do" operation. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
image0(2).jpeg
If you decide to chuck that back into a bin and not use it...I'd be more than happy to take that Jamma Interface board. My Punisher board is missing it and I had to run hacky wires for Q-Sound to work.

You can count me in for 1 multi CPS1 please.

I wish there will be enough multi on the first batch for everybody^^

PCM audio would have to be hand ported by a human based totally on observation/ear, no direct conversion possible.
Sometimes called a "monkey see monkey do" operation.
Yeah I agree with you it's not entirely clear how such a conversion would be done.

There was an interesting comment in the MAME Q-sound HLE driver code, which states that the Capcom-Q1 DL-1425 chip had some capability for ADPCM but Capcom never made use of it, https://github.com/mamedev/mame/blob/master/src/devices/sound/qsoundhle.cpp#L430 :

// Updates an ADPCM voice. There are 3 voices, one is updated every sample
// (effectively making the ADPCM rate 1/3 of the master sample rate), and
// volume is set when starting samples only.
// The ADPCM algorithm is supposedly similar to Yamaha ADPCM. It also seems
// like Capcom never used it, so this was not emulated in the earlier QSound
// emulators.

Not sure if this APCM capability could be utilized for the purpose of CPS1 sound processing or how it compares to the YM2151 + OKIM6295.

Request to be added to the interest list.
I would be in for 3 kits. Thanks!

don't remember if I'm on the interest list, but if I'm not, please add me. Thanks!

We are all very patient but we have not had an update for a while. Last I saw @Darksoft had a video for us?

What about updating the interest list?

Yep. Still patient here. But would love to get a loose timeline on the release estimate, just so I can plan some finances. There’s a bunch of cool multi’s on the horizon that I gotta get too!

Back