What's new
So looks like there will be 3 flavors of OSSC products, plus some expansion boards and a new proper remote.

OSSC Pro
ossc-pro-square-xsmall.jpg

Expected price? Under $500 =O due to components shortages, but will be reduced once things normalize.
I was expecting 4K upscaling at $500 :D

OSSC Pro Expansion card
ossc-expansion-ex-small.jpg

"This card provides an analogue video output (not currently soldered on this early prototype) and a digital audio output. Ideal for streamers or speed runners who want to stream content to a capture card while playing on a classic CRT monitor. It’s also great for people looking for an easy way to take advantage of the OSSCs downscaling capabilities without needing an often expensive HDMI to VGA converter."

OSSC Classic 1.7
1632491178364.png

OSSC Dexx-vd ISL (for the DE10-Nano MisterFPGA)
de10-vd_isl_display-small.jpg

Expected price under $50, market permitting.

Proper Remote
2nd-round-HR-918E-top-small.jpg
2nd-round-HR-918E-bot-small.jpg

Definitely some exciting stuff!

More info here: https://videogameperfection.com/2021/09/24/newsletter-issue-about/

Last edited:
Is the SCART connector mounted "backwards" (like RetroTink 5x)?

God that bothers me, and I'm not the only one...
3D print files for a stand to mount the device vertically (so the forward pointing SCART cable looks slightly less stupid, but still ultimately fucking stupid).

WHY!
RT5xVerticalStand-1536x864.jpg

I'm not sure what that is above
The otherwise fantastic scaler called Retro Tink 5x (that SCART port makes me want to smash something however).
I'm calling Tink the current king, but that's really just because of three features...
  1. 1440p output (OSSC max out at 1600x1200)
  2. Near flawless deinterlacing (OSSC still has some issues with some modes)
  3. Resolution (240p/480i) changing on the fly (OSSC blanks out for 2 secs when switching P/I)
I fully expect OSSC Pro to crush it when released.

Oh, I've heard good things, but my consoles are mostly RGB or HDMI, so I never saw the need. I'm PCB all day every day and for that, I fucking NEED rotation, which the OSSC-Pro will deliver!

but my consoles are mostly RGB
Retro Tink takes RGBs via SCART port (naturally) and component video via RCAs (standard) but where it really drops the ball is VGA...
It has no VGA port PERIOD, but like the xRGB Mini you can feed VGA into the SCART port if you first composite H and V sync together.

Castlemania Games has this nice little adapter from Rondo Products, I've got one and it works perfectly with the Tink+Dreamcast/Naomi.
HD15-2-SCART_1_1024x1024@2x.png

I would call the 5x the current king as well…for consoles.

It’s not that much better than any other scaler for arcade boards unfortunately. It still has the same compatibility issues for midway, Taito, and some of the Sega boards that have wild syncs.

I’m currently rocking 3 scalers. OSSC, 5x and GBS AIO.
If the OSSC Pro is all that and a bag of chips, I might have to sell all 3 of these to pay for a Pro.
Arcade PCB’s are my primary concern.

I'd really like a 19" rack version, even though the case would be mostly empty. Maybe combined with a SCART/Component/VGA switch box?

I feel like the team should wait for the next DE10 Nano-ish device to hit the market...
Design an expansion hat for it, and release a json file to preform all the scaling.

Totally abandoning the idea of a stand alone device.

Back