What's new

c1v1ta

Student
Reaction score
Looking to set up a Sega NAC in tate orientation. Would love to have a multicade type pcb in there loaded with all the best shoot em ups. I ordered the King of Air 2, but weirdly it doesn’t output 480x640 15k 3:4/tate. Anyone know of anything that does? Ideally looking for a solution that’s plug-n-play.

Last edited:
You wouldn't want it outputting 480x640 for a few reasons.

The monitor's orientation doesn't change the resolution. So you aren't looking for flip-flopped numbers. The data is still sent to the screen as 640x480, you're just turning the screen 90 degrees.

More importantly though, your NAC doesn't support 480p/31k/High Resolution unless you replaced the monitor or did some real hacky stuff to the chassis. I'd imagine you're after 15k/Standard Resolution (320x240 roundabout depending on game).

Those Pandora sellers (King of Air included) generally sell multiple versions of the same product. One that does HDMI, one that does 31k, one that does 15k. Probably easiest to find a King of Air 2 seller, and ask for the 15k version specifically (assuming KoA2 comes in 15k). Or pick up an original King of Air.

So the King of Air 2 that I have does output at 640x480, and it runs fine.

The UI it boots at that resolution though is horizontal (Pandora DX). That gives me two issues:

- 1: Tate/vertical games boot into this vertical horizontal aspect ratio, so imagine the screen non-tate, running vertical games with black bars on each side. I wonder if there’s some setting I missed somewhere to change this?

- 2: when I rotate my screen to tate, the UI/menu is also rotated 90 degrees, IE sideways text.

How odd. Looking at pics on a few retailers everything is setup tate like it should be. Menus included.

Totally weird. The HD resolutions output vertically as they should, but this one, the only one that works on my candy CRT, does not. Customer service is no help whatsoever, either.

Ah, cool. I’m less familiar with the exact specs of the output signal. All I know is, it works at only one output setting, AFAIK, and the UI is horizontal.

Any way to get this working the way I need, or is there another alternative I should look into? KOA1 could work but doesn’t have enough of the essential games.

Ah, cool. I’m less familiar with the exact specs of the output signal. All I know is, it works at only one output setting, AFAIK, and the UI is horizontal.
Circling back to this:

More importantly though, your NAC doesn't support 480p/31k/High Resolution unless you replaced the monitor or did some real hacky stuff to the chassis.

Looks like you need to either grab a KoA1, or look into the Pandora's Box DX modding scene to see if you can force tate on the DX side of things, since apparently only that will display at your monitor's 15k resolution. He mentions Pandory for that at the end of that video, so I'd start there.

For sure, I actually have been hassling the good guys over at Team Pandory for 15khz full menu tate in DX, to no avail. KoA1 is a solid out-of-the-box option, but games included are limited. I might just do a RGB Pi situation unless there are any other suggestions.

For sure, I actually have been hassling the good guys over at Team Pandory for 15khz full menu tate in DX, to no avail. KoA1 is a solid out-of-the-box option, but games included are limited. I might just do a RGB Pi situation unless there are any other suggestions.
GroovyMAME's going to give you a better experience than any of the above, honestly. There are a few threads on here on setting it up, as well as a real fancy one on AO.

I've tried in the past to use Pandora DX with the pandory software in tate (i just need the games, don't care for the menu) with no success. looks like there is more than one DX version:
- Family
- Arcade

I have the idea that only one can play games in TATE and i have the wrong version. Anyone more knowledgeable in this matter can enlighten me? I've searched this many months ago and don't remember much...

You need either a King of Air 1 or a Pandoras Box 6 where you can add games (only the FBA roms versions) that will display in tate and 15k via the standart jamma output.
Groovymame will bring a much better performance overall though.

You need either a King of Air 1 or a Pandoras Box 6 where you can add games (only the FBA roms versions) that will display in tate and 15k via the standart jamma output.
Groovymame will bring a much better performance overall though.
So Groovymame is an OS, right? Software one would install onto a Pi or mini PC?

Edit: Great intro to Groovymame here for anyone interested.

Last edited:
Back