What's new
For Sale
Can someone explain to me why everybody needs to break even, or even worse make a profit? Shouldn't it be the other way around? I buy something, I keep it for a while, it's objectively more used than it was before I bought it, shouldn't I be selling it for less than what I bought it for?
Because these aren't commodity products, nor are they appliances that eventually become obsolete. You can't value them the same way you value a carton of eggs, or a pair of pants. They're valued more like the way you'd value a painting or a house.

there are only X number of a particular PCB in existence, there will never be anymore of that game made, it doesn't have a limited number of plays before it's "used up', nor will there ever be a "new model" of that game that unequivocally obsoletes the old ones.

It's simple supply and demand, the supply is fixed and it can only ever go down from where it is, meanwhile the demand is subject to the whims of collectors, as more people enter the hobby and learn about the game more people wish to own it and therefore the value goes up because it takes more money to convince those who own those games to sell them.

If you compare that to say a carton of eggs or a pair of pants, the supply is constantly replenished and can be increased rather easily to meet whatever the current demand is. Prices don't ever really increase beyond the cost to "manufacture" and the value of currency.

On the other side of that you have things like (original) paintings or houses. There there only ever be 1 original of any given painting and land is finite so while new paintings can be painted and new homes can be built (just like new games can be created) they don't ever really replace the ones that exist currently. So supply is fixed and demand is based entirely on how desirable they are to the people buying them. And like arcade boards the price will increase until you reach a point where someone who owns one is willing to sell it at that price.

There is a saying that "things are only worth what someone is willing to pay" and this goes back to the idea of "comps" or similar items that have sold recently as a means to determine a used item's value. Because it's evidence of what someone was willing to pay for said item.

This works to devalue items as well. When these games first leave the arcades their value is at the lowest because their supply is very high but the demand is very low. At that time people were bored of the games, they weren't making money in the arcades and since very few people wanted them and there were a lot available the price went DOWN. Now that supply has become lower and interest has increased the price is going back up... it's basic economics.

People who don't want to over pay understand that if they're buying at a price lower than others that have sold recently they're getting a good value; it means that if they re-sell they'll get more than they paid.

Good post ^, I love a good deal, and I'm a hoarder.

Also, no one take offense please, I think arcade game collectors are, how shall I put this, *SOME* are on the spectrum, sort of like MtG collectors. Actually, any collectors. They, they get aggressive about buying, having, and hoarding AND lording.

It's not great, but I think technical things sometimes draw that type in. It's OK, everyone needs things to feel better or enjoy their lives, as long as you're not hurting someone else. Also, at least it's not gambling, unless you buy an Exidy board, those things have been total crap shoots for me!

The people who bought, lets say Dodonpachi back in 2008 for 180 or Donpachi, Esp.Ra.de or DF for 100 bucks or less where told " what the hell do you want with that old jamma garbage ? " , these people still owning that " crap " are now told they are elitist snobs for owning those exclusive and expensive CAVE grails :whistling:

The people who bought, lets say Dodonpachi back in 2008 for 180 or Donpachi, Esp.Ra.de or DF for 100 bucks or less where told " what the hell do you want with that old jamma garbage ? " , these people still owning that " crap " are now told they are elitist snobs for owning those exclusive and expensive CAVE grails :whistling:
True, but mostly by people who are jealous (and rightfully so ;) )

I made a spreadsheet that I shared with the guys on Cave-STG, but I feel like it could be useful here:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...RNKxng57E0uhGMRwpSds6_pwg/edit#gid=1090420966

I'm fully up for any feedback on the spreadsheet if you guys have any. I pulled data so far from:
YAJ - I used YAJ's completed search function for each Cave title, which only goes back 4 months, to get the data from there.
ebay - Only looked at sold listings, and there weren't many.
Forums (shmups mostly) - I did a combination of scanning through the most recent threads (basically of 2018) from sales subforums, and then did a search for each title on shmups to get more data.
Great spreadsheet! :)

Just a small note - ondafly's Ketsui kit was not complete ;)

Back