What's new
I would love to get my hands on those gerber files (for personal use). I don't mind paying for it, but would love to choose where i order my pcbs

I would gladly pay for the gerbers and / or schematics (cad project) if possible. Would be cool to experiment with SMD versions for personal use.

I would love to pay for a GRB of these too lookin forward to what you do :)

Looks like only 3 games are supported with this design, while this system has many more games. Can someone have a look at it and have this design support more games. There is actually a lot of good ones. See here: https://www.system16.com/hardware.php?id=809&page=2
Two problems:
- memory capacity, you'll need a lot more space to handle larger games like Demon Front or Martial Masters
- the ARM cpu for external code, including a double-buffered shared memory region and a shared latch register

You probably need larger flash chips, and an FPGA to handle the ARM cpu and external gubbins - at which point you're not too far away from a proper flash cart.

The design process on my PCBs was to start with one of the original carts and chop all the ASIC stuff off.

You can probably patch the ASIC out of a few more games, but that'll be quite some work.

You can probably patch the ASIC out of a few more games, but that'll be quite some work.
maxresdefault.jpg

Some GREAT next targets for this would be

Do Don Pachi II - Bee Storm
Puzzle Star
Puzzli 2 Special

These three games are some of the more sought after tiles and are also small enough to fit on the current board design, and do not use the ASIC as a co-processor so it can be patched out.

for those interested I mapped out all of the games: with their potential compatibility on these boards:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/11rWuH7DzcUC5A4i9L1JxlMp8Hl3KpMTkX4RKiZ9n4CE/edit?usp=sharing

Cliff Notes:

Game that fit but just need security patched:
Dragon World II
Dragon World 3
Dragon World EX
Puzzle Star
Puzzli 2 Super

Games that fit but need security patched and potentially some ARM code ported to 68K
DoDonPachi II - Bee Storm
Dragon World 2001
Dragon World Pretty Chance

Games that are too big and need security patched:
Flash 3-in-2
The Killing Blade
Knights of Valour
Knights of Valour Plus
Knights of Valour Super Heroes
Knights of Valour Super Heros Plus
Oriental Legend
Oriental Legend Super
Oriental Legends 2
Photo Y2K
Photo Y2K2

Games that are too big and need security patched and potentially some ARM code ported to 68K
Knights of Valour 2
Knights of Valour 2 Plus - Nine Dragons
Martial Masters

Games that will likely never work because they use the ARM7 CPU in the ASIC instead of the 68K
Demon Front
The Gladiator
Happy 6-in-1
The Killing Blade Plus
SVG

if you ever plan on making a multi-cart for this system it will likely need to include an ARM CPU to run the game code for those games that utilize the ASIC as the main processor.
details in the mame driver for the protection chip: https://github.com/mamedev/mame/blob/master/src/mame/igs/pgmprot_igs027a_type3.cpp

Last edited:
I have this list on my page as well.
http://igspgm.com/repairs/PGM_GAME_INFO_2.JPG

Puzzli 2 / Bubble Fish 2 has been done to work on fluffys PCBs. It was being worked on.. and i think it was in early beta.. not sure if it was finished though...

Attachments

• PGM_GAME_INFO_2.JPG
    PGM_GAME_INFO_2.JPG
    125.7 KB · Views: 46
Puzzli 2 / Bubble Fish 2 has been done to work on fluffys PCBs. It was being worked on.. and i think it was in early beta.. not sure if it was finished though...
I tried a version of that at one point - it ran, but had a few weird bugs. Though I've never seen the original game, so don't know what the expected behaviour is.

Edit: To be clear, they were the kind of "Pirate copy detected, let's mess with the player" style bugs.

Last edited:
That sounds correct. I think I was able to iron out most of the gameplay weirdness. I was never able to fix the attract.
Here's a tool to build the "hacked" puzzli2 / puzzli2 super roms and the sources for it if someone would like to take a look and continue working on it.
Note- I haven't touched these sources in a long time other than making things a little more readable today, there might be test/broken code there.

Attachments

• puzzli2 hack.zip
    25.9 KB · Views: 61
I tried a version of that at one point - it ran, but had a few weird bugs. Though I've never seen the original game, so don't know what the expected behaviour is.

Edit: To be clear, they were the kind of "Pirate copy detected, let's mess with the player" style bugs.
I actually really like that game, one of my favorite puzzle games. Part of why I made the ROM to upgrade normal Puzzli 2 to Super. It is a unique gameplay for sure so if you don't know the game I can see that messing with you. The old Prince of Persia style copy protection perhaps?

Very nice work @iq_132 ! This is quite a good puzzle game and awesome to have more accessible. I’ve never even seen an original cart for sale - pretty rare.

Ironically i have a Puzzli 2 (Bubble Fish) cart for sale. They don't normally stay on the shelf for very long....

Back