What's new
@FakeNoose you need a set for each game you’re hoping to play - espgaluda, ketsui, ddp doj. Most people want all 3.

I guess you could install sockets on your one set, and swap roms (and not use a cart shell - socketed roms won’t fit), but man what a hassle.

* on the char board, the prog board can use sockets. The original cartridge has some extra space to allow this, probably to allow updating the game. Though I'm not sure how much space the 3D printed cases allow for sockets on the char board. Did anyone try?

Out of interest, what are people using as shells for these?

In my case, i will probably use cartshells from cheap games.
If i don't find, i will print cases.

I just use PCB standoffs, can't bring myself to sacrifice a game for the shell and that's a kinda big 3d Print. I don't mind doing standoffs because I can leave both boards socketed with no worries.

I purchased really old game carts and just gave the pcbs to @GC8TECH.

Since I don't have a 3d printer, I got quoted more to print the case than to buy an oem case. It was a no brainier for me.

I'm wondering if the version using acrylic plates could be cost optimised, like making a silicone mould and casting the side pieces from resin. Then you just need the laser cut parts, and the rails are just the cost of the resin.

the 3D printable rails would be a much simpler mold to produce than a mold for the original cart shell. the original cart shells were likely injection molded, which is a hard thing to replicate at a small scale.

Buddy of mine printed the pgm cart case last week.

PXL_20221206_140543118.jpg

PXL_20221206_140556085.jpg

PXL_20221206_151956313.jpg

One side was 10 hours of printing. Not as strong as the real thing but gets the job done and you don't have to sacrifice real carts. Think these would look great in red.

@FakeNoose you need a set for each game you’re hoping to play - espgaluda, ketsui, ddp doj. Most people want all 3.

I guess you could install sockets on your one set, and swap roms (and not use a cart shell - socketed roms won’t fit), but man what a hassle.
I was able to socket both sides if you use the 3D printed shell available.20220531_182751.jpg20220522_135415.jpg

But you don't have anything installed in those sockets? You sure it's going to fit?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Drawing another line here. Please add no further requests to this thread. I am going to fulfil the remaining requests before this line.

I finally got some time to update my spreadsheet and it is becoming more tricky to manage, especially together with handling PMs. In the future I'll handle this through something like Tindie or eBay, so all the stock keeping, address handling and payment is handled for me and I just need to stuff them into envelopes. It'll be some time for me to set this up, though.

I've got around 50 sets remaining, so I'm going to contact people in the order that they requested them in the next few days. I'm going to order more in January.

Back