What's new

Tyrel

Beginner
Reaction score
I'm almost to the point of giving up. Here is my situation:
I have
NEO GEO MVS board.
SuzuHapp 15amp power supply
Supergun Minigun w/ the 9 pin md2 Output.

I was hoping the 9 pin out would work with my HD retrovision cable. Which it doesn't becouse HD retrovision uses composite for sync and not csync. (Ok, not a big deal). I tried using a regular Genesis cable but I get no composite video. (Ok, still no big deal). I am currently using a Hyperkin Genesis to hdmi cable, which works kind of but it looks like washed out trash with the whites and yellows which must be a sync problem.

What I need is someone to send me a link to a cable to use. At this point I don't care what it outputs to as long as I can hook it up to my TV and it not look like crap. My preference would me in this order:
1: Component
2: S-Video
3: HDMI
4: Composite

Feel free to troll me or make fun of me for being stupid. As long as in the next week or so I am playing my games on a TV and it looks good I don't mind. One last thing, don't suggest a RAD2X cable because there is no way to get one right now. Except for the poor idiot who just spent $200 for one on eBay.

Just to preface: whenever I need a supergun, I've been bumping off of the older 8-pin version for a pretty long time w/ a pvm, so my 9-pin knowledge is pretty scarce, along with non-ossc stuff on modern tvs and flatscreens and such...but you may want to check out franks post about the 9-pin minigun:

https://www.arcade-projects.com/threads/minigun-supergun-an-open-source-supergun.9408/post-225536

specifically,
Added a jumper header to toggle 75 Ohm or TTL level sync. This is required due to variations within Mega Drive 2 video cables.
  • If you are utilizing a video cable that is wired for sync over composite video or one that has NO passive components on the sync or composite video line, please select 75Ω sync.
  • If you are utilizing a video cable wired for TTL (CSYNC) and one that contains a resistor and capacitor along the sync line, please select TTL sync.

Otherwise, you can look into picking up one of those RGB2COMPs from the retrotink guys

Based on frank's post which GeeDee linked, you should be able to use a jumper shunt to select the right sync level. I would let an expert confirm though. I plan on buying a jumper shunt for the same setup.

So, there is no cable that will actually hook this up to a tv? The jumper shunt is on mine, it allows you to switch between TTL or 75 ohms, which does absolutely nothing with an HD retrovision cable or an original Genesis cable. Hopefully someone makes a cable I can buy and actually use this thing.

So first, we don't actually know what kind of "tv" you're trying to connect this to. Is this a flat screen? Consumer CRT? If it's the former then I'm sorry, but you're more than likely going to be better off investing in a middle-man converter box like the OSSC or the retrotink I linked above.

Also, in the same thread that I linked above, others have reported using the genesis HD retrovision cable successfully with the 9-pin minigun, hence why I recommended you look into your sync settings since I'm not sure what you're trying to feed this into:

Post in thread 'Minigun Supergun - An Open Source Supergun' https://www.arcade-projects.com/threads/minigun-supergun-an-open-source-supergun.9408/post-256737

just below that post, someone else also recommends the same exact rgb to component box that I linked to you in my first post if you need to go the scart route, which is probably for the best since it opens up the larger world of scart options to you as well. Unless you're dealing with a monitor that natively supports the rgb signals that arcade boards tend to produce, then the number of cable-only solutions are sadly few and far between.

I have 6 CRT televisions. 3 Sony trinitrons, 2 sanyos and a Magnavox. All of which have component, composite, S-Video and RF inputs. Right now not one is working with the supergun. Only the modern flatscreen in the living room with using the Hyperkin Genesis HDMI cable but it looks really horrible and washed out.

I have 6 CRT televisions. 3 Sony trinitrons, 2 sanyos and a Magnavox. All of which have component, composite, S-Video and RF inputs. Right now not one is working with the supergun.

Minigun outputs RGB video, it doesn't output component, composite or s-video. You need to convert that RGB first into one of the three (well, two really, no sense in going composite).

Just look up RGB to component or RGB to S-video.

Not that it’s a long term solution, the hyperkin cables are not great, but have you adjusted the RGB pots on the minigun while using that setup? Might be able to cure some of the washed out colors while you’re finding a better solution.

Just look up RGB to component or RGB to S-video.
you can look into picking up one of those RGB2COMPs from the retrotink guys
you're more than likely going to be better off investing in a middle-man converter box like the OSSC or the retrotink I linked above.

Unless you're dealing with a monitor that natively supports the rgb signals that arcade boards tend to produce, then the number of cable-only solutions are sadly few and far between.

More than likely that the person using the retrovision cables isn't just connecting them straight to their monitor- they're probably using them on the component input of an OSSC or similar device as well.

@Frank_fjs Does the 9 pin Minigun not output 75ohm Csync on the composite video pin? If it doesn't then it should. HD Retrovision and Rad2x cables rely on composite video for sync.

@Frank_fjs Does the 9 pin Minigun not output 75ohm Csync on the composite video pin? If it doesn't then it should. HD Retrovision and Rad2x cables rely on composite video for sync.
I thought GeeDee's comment about frank's post mentioned it does based on here. Also I thought since the Genesis outouts TTL sync, the Rad2x cables expect that. Am I wrong about the cables? I got the sync information from the Genesis 2 section of a retrorgb post.

Last edited:
More than likely that the person using the retrovision cables isn't just connecting them straight to their monitor- they're probably using them on the component input of an OSSC or similar device as well.
I run the hd retrovision cables from the minigun directly into my Panasonic plasma tv, my epson projector, my Panasonic Tau 27" crt, and my Sony where 32" crt.

I do this with 3 individual miniguns, and 2 cheap Chinese superguns (using neo geo to genesis 2 din adapter for the Chinese superguns).

I also have used each of the miniguns with retrogamingcables genesis 2 scart RGB and insurrection industries geneses 2 scart RGB to Shinybow scart to component converter with all the same displays.

I have also used retrogamingcables genesis 2 component cable with the minigun and these displays.

I have the 75 ohm sync enabled on all of the miniguns.

I have used all these cables with the OSSC and be the gbs-control. No trouble with any of them.

I can provide proof if anyone has doubts.

Not that it’s a long term solution, the hyperkin cables are not great, but have you adjusted the RGB pots on the minigun while using that setup? Might be able to cure some of the washed out colors while you’re finding a better solution.
No, I haven't. I will try that.

I run the hd retrovision cables from the minigun directly into my Panasonic plasma tv, my epson projector, my Panasonic Tau 27" crt, and my Sony where 32" crt.

I do this with 3 individual miniguns, and 2 cheap Chinese superguns (using neo geo to genesis 2 din adapter for the Chinese superguns).

I also have used each of the miniguns with retrogamingcables genesis 2 scart RGB and insurrection industries geneses 2 scart RGB to Shinybow scart to component converter with all the same displays.

I have also used retrogamingcables genesis 2 component cable with the minigun and these displays.

I have the 75 ohm sync enabled on all of the miniguns.

I have used all these cables with the OSSC and be the gbs-control. No trouble with any of them.

I can provide proof if anyone has doubts.
I'm not doubting you. It just doesn't work when I do it.

Here is exactly what I am experiencing, sorry about the lighting.
View: https://youtu.be/9x4O-K
To me, that looks like your TV can't handle the flash of white and losses sync. That's common on some TVs.

I have a CRT that works ok with real hardware but when I hookup an RGB-pi to the same CRT it loses sync momentarily in the same game when the screen flashes white.

Without anything to compare it to, it can be hard to identify if the Supergun is at fault. Maybe your MVS is at fault? With no other pcb or Supergun to swap in, it can be difficult and very technical to figure out.

Maybe they are both fine and it's the TV?

Did you try turning down the pots for R,G,B? There is a pretty wide range where it might appear to look ok but is actually too strong.

Do you have the retrovision cable on the low setting or bright setting? Does it make a difference in the way it performs?

FYI- I believe the battery you mention is just for saving high scores.

And - Did you check to make sure your voltmeter is calibrated correctly? 2 of mine were a little off.

I'm not doubting you. It just doesn't work when I do it.
I didn't think you were. No worries.

I was replying to the person who said that someone was more than likely not connecting the hd retrovision directly to a display monitor.

For all I know, there is a common belief that the cables are not compatible with the minigun.

I agree with the above, and you should run the games at 5v. But you could check with a multimeter to make sure the voltmeter isn’t wrong. Those things have little calibration wheels on the backside and sometimes they’re cranked the wrong way from the factory.

The battery is unrelated.

I have an AES and I use the same cable with it. I don't have Metal Slug X on it but I have a 161 in 1 and it has no problem. Im pretty sure I'm doing something wrong with the mvs

Back