What's new
You could have used the cbox's md2 output to scart and then from scart to CRT but you are using another supergun right? I have the same one you posted originally here. I use it from time to time on my pvm

You could have used the cbox's md2 output to scart and then from scart to CRT but you are using another supergun right? I have the same one you posted originally here. I use it from time to time on my pvm
Yeah, Cbox uses its own power supply and that wasn’t enough to power the PR board up. So I had to get the minigun super gun that’s uses the 9 pin SCART cable. Hence me getting a SCART to S Video/composite adapter. I also needed a separate Meanwell PSU to actually boot the board.

Now the problem is I’m only getting black and white video no matter, which video cable I’m using.

I've recently plugged in my Primal Rage pcb in an Astro and Astro 2. Both with good recapped psus (no power issues with any other pcb)

Does anyone else not get more than 4.9v on the 5v rail cranked all the way to max??? Any lower voltage drops any lower than 4.7 and pcb boots to garbage. As soon as I crank it to max it stops at 4.9 but boots as normal.
Anyone experience this? What can I do?? This thing is a POWER hog no wonder op is struggling with a super gun.

I've recently plugged in my Primal Rage pcb in an Astro and Astro 2. Both with good recapped psus (no power issues with any other pcb)

Does anyone else not get more than 4.9v on the 5v rail cranked all the way to max??? Any lower voltage drops any lower than 4.7 and pcb boots to garbage. As soon as I crank it to max it stops at 4.9 but boots as normal.
Anyone experience this? What can I do?? This thing is a POWER hog no wonder op is struggling with a super gun.
I had to get an arcade power supply to boot mine up. Got a Meanwell PSU, and had to adjust the voltage to the higher end to get it to turn on and to keep it on.

Yeah, Cbox uses its own power supply and that wasn’t enough to power the PR board up. So I had to get the minigun super gun that’s uses the 9 pin SCART cable. Hence me getting a SCART to S Video/composite adapter. I also needed a separate Meanwell PSU to actually boot the board.

Now the problem is I’m only getting black and white video no matter, which video cable I’m using.
Is that an RGB SCART to composite adapter?

I think Black and White means you are only getting luma.

What happened when you used a Genesis 2 composite cable?

Are you using a passive adapter or something that converts the signal?

I don't think you can use a passive adapter since the Genesis 2 doesn't support svideo.

What can you tell me about the PR event at Combo Breaker? Does it use the JP version? Do you bring your own stick or controller? How many people normally enter?

I was very surprised to see this as a main event, it just seems so niche!

Last edited:
Is that an RGB SCART to composite adapter?

I think Black and White means you are only getting luma.

What happened when you used a Genesis 2 composite cable?

Are you using a passive adapter or something that converts the signal?

I don't think you can use a passive adapter since the Genesis 2 doesn't support svideo.
It was an RGB SCART to NTSC S video converter.

This one on eBay which is supposed to be really good. I tried two different cables with the converter composite cables and S video, and it gave me the same result with a Black and White image

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1745781563...7xMaxuRTVK&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

Attachments

• IMG_7132.jpeg
    IMG_7132.jpeg
    104.3 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:
What can you tell me about the PR event at Combo Breaker? Does it use the JP version? Do you bring your own stick or controller? How many people normally enter?

I was very surprised to see this as a main event, it just seems so niche!
It was standard 2.3 which doesn’t use the JPN control scheme and part of the problem when we got there was that CB’s management team only brought 2 boards, and one of them was only 1.7 lol. There was about 30 to 35 ppl for Primal Rage in pools I believe. Everyone brought their own stick or controller to play since for PR you really need a stick for it’s 2.3 control scheme which has a lot of wonky specials lol.

Here’s the final 8 video with me in it if you wanna see all of our matches.

View: https://youtu.be/dgynzz_GL0M?si=wSCYnHpPVjuvpqXe

Last edited:
It was an RGB SCART to NTSC S video converter.

This one on eBay which is supposed to be really good. I tried two different cables with the converter composite cables and S video, and it gave me the same result with a Black and White image

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1745781563...7xMaxuRTVK&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY
Are you using an RGB SCART cable? And not a SCART composite cable?

If it's an RGB SCART cable is it c-sync or composite sync?

Why can't you use a Genesis 2 composite cable right from the supergun (no adapter needed)? Have you tried this?

Are you using an RGB SCART cable? And not a SCART composite cable?

If it's an RGB SCART cable is it c-sync or composite sync?

Why can't you use a Genesis 2 composite cable right from the supergun (no adapter needed)? Have you tried this?
I am using the RGB SCART cable and the converter. I tried Genesis 2 composite before and I got no image thats why I got the converter and the RGB cable. The TV is not really getting a signal other than the B/W image with the RGB SCART cable and the converter.

That means it's only getting the luma signal.

I'll try to find a composite cable and see how the minigun performs with it. I suspect composite should come out since the hd retrovision cables work with the minigun. I believe they require composite to sync.

That means it's only getting the luma signal.

I'll try to find a composite cable and see how the minigun performs with it. I suspect composite should come out since the hd retrovision cables work with the minigun. I believe they require composite to sync.
I pretty much given up getting it to work on my CRT. I’m just gonna get the Retrotink 4K and set it up on my modern 4k TV. When I got the black and white image on my CRT there was some pretty big overscan issues on it anyway ( you couldn’t see the full high score or score because it was being cut off)

I pretty much given up getting it to work on my CRT. I’m just gonna get the Retrotink 4K and set it up on my modern 4k TV. When I got the black and white image on my CRT there was some pretty big overscan issues on it anyway ( you couldn’t see the full high score or score because it was being cut off)
Good idea.

Yeah those boards are 50 something hz I believe. That's gonna cause issues.

If you had RGB connection to the TV it might just roll anyway.

Have you looked into how the 4k works with that PCB?

It works with my midway open ice PCB (also 50 something hz) but only in a non-optimal mode.It looks ok but not nearly as good as it does on the ossc.

I'm not a huge fan of the 4k of but some people swear by it.

Good idea.

Yeah those boards are 50 something hz I believe. That's gonna cause issues.

If you had RGB connection to the TV it might just roll anyway.

Have you looked into how the 4k works with that PCB?

It works with my midway open ice PCB (also 50 something hz) but only in a non-optimal mode.It looks ok but not nearly as good as it does on the ossc.

I'm not a huge fan of the 4k of but some people swear by the 4K
The 4Ktink isn’t up for order yet, so you must have been lucky to be sent one of those test builds already. At this point I just want to get the board working on a TV so I can finally play it on something.

A friend from the PR Rage discord is using the older 5X Tink with his board which looks good enough for me. I have other retro consoles that are unmodded so getting the 4Ktink kills two birds with one stone. My CRT doesn’t have any RGB input just composite and s video which is what’s giving me all the trouble. I wouldn’t be able to mod the TV by myself. So Retrotink it is until someone puts out a SG that has S Video capabilities.

View: https://youtu.be/aFfetEDJxLw?si=kzVMldxFol5rCvVG

Last edited:
The 4Ktink isn’t up for order yet, so you must have been lucky to be sent one of those test builds already. At this point I just want to get the board working on a TV so I can finally play it on something.

A friend from the PR Rage discord is using the older 5X Tink with his board which looks good enough for me. I have other retro consoles that are unmodded so getting the 4Ktink kills two birds with one stone. My CRT doesn’t have any RGB input just composite and s video which is what’s giving me all the trouble. I wouldn’t be able to mod the TV by myself. So Retrotink it is until someone puts out a SG that has S Video capabilities.

View: https://youtu.be/aFfetEDJxLw?si=kzVMldxFol5rCvVG
I apologize. I meant the 5x. I have no experience with the 4k. My brain must have been somewhere else.

4k looks outstanding but people say the 5x is as well. Time will tell.

Power reading while disconnected from a pcb is useless, you can disregard the 5.6v reading.

The only measurement that matters is what the pcb is seeing while powered (and it wants 5.00v). The cbox is powered by a piece-of-shit wall-wart, right? No way is that going to power a giant beast like primal rage.

Rage has LEDs on the main board for 5v High and 5v Low, and my guess is that the low one is lit when you try to boot. 4.6v will not work. You need a real arcade power supply, I’m not sure you can modify the cbox to handle one though. It wouldn’t hurt to get a proper supergun like HAS or a minigun.

Edit: if I’m reading it right it’s powered by a 12v external power supply?!? It’s converting from 12v to 5v internally then. Complete garbage.
My Primal Rage doesn’t start firing up until I hit around 4.92-4.95 volts … however in order to do that my power supply has to be set at about 5.15 on a standard board to hit 5.0 volts on the Primal Rage board …. That board is a voltage hungry beast man!

Not much of an update. Still waiting for Retrotink to get enough stock to allow me to buy their new fancy hardware to allow me to actually play on my board, but I thought I’d post a good combo in the meantime I got on Twitch when I was streaming. I’m looking forward to try doing on real hardware when I get the chance. This is a really great game despite its reputation online.

https://clips.twitch.tv/HyperCuriousPandaNerfBlueBlaster-ehFyiE6daDI-8_e3

Update. I finally managed to snag a the Retrotink4K the other day. Looks like it won’t be shipping till late Feb at the latest. Hopefully now I’ll finally be able to play my board now (in color) when it comes in lol.

Attachments

• IMG_7564.jpeg
    IMG_7564.jpeg
    55.4 KB · Views: 14
Back