What's new

CoinFeeder

Professional
Reaction score
Hey folks!

tldr; After developing a simple shmup for the Gameboy Color a few months back, I've decided to team up with some people and go all in on developing a full-blown Shmup for the Neo Geo MVS.

project_neon_logo.png

Planned "features"
  • Rock solid 60fps action, parallax scrolling and beautiful animated graphics
  • Five distinctive levels (4 freely selectable, 1 unlockable) and screen-filling boss fights
  • Huge variety of enemies and weapons!
  • Tight controls with zero-lag
  • 2 player co-op
  • Vertical monitor setup only (TATE)
  • A rhythm-based game mechanics/bonus stages [Stretch goal]
  • A strangely familiar antagonist
Alpha screenshots

1_medsize.jpg

Running on actual arcade hardware (MVS + Dark Soft Multi-MVS)

Game plan going forward

- Finish/polish internal prototype within next 4 weeks (the game is already working on actual hardware with buttery-smooth 60fps parallax scrolling, 2 player co-op, lots of enemies and bullet types, etc)
- Prepare and launch Kickstarter campaign (30 days)
- Finish the game and ship MVS cartridges around September 2020

We'll share much more details as part of the Kickstarter campaign, including all the things we've ticked and put in place already to make sure we set ourselves up for success.

It's quite possible that we'll use this thread as the official "smaller updates and feedback" blog, next to the main Kickstarter one of course.

More soon!

Attachments

• 2_medsize.jpg
    2_medsize.jpg
    613.2 KB · Views: 852
Nice one! Will you be offering a ROM people can buy to play on the Darksoft multi?

Nice one! Will you be offering a ROM people can buy to play on the Darksoft multi?
Cheers mate :) Quite possible, but likely delayed for a bit for after the initial cartridges sold and shipped. We believe there should still be a special incentive for people backing this by buying the cartridge. Hence everything we might do from there (ROM, ports, etc.) will likely be delayed by a fair bit.

This looks exciting!

I know it's a tad early, but should we assume something around the Xenocrisis MVS as far as pricing is concerned?

Looks promising!

Any plans yet for Music / Audio, or is it a bit early for that perhaps?

Not entirely related, but is your GBC shmup able to be seen anywhere? :)

When do you anticipate on having the Kickstarter go live?

(I wasn't sure if 30 days was referring to the length of the Kickstarter or your intended start date)

(I wasn't sure if 30 days was referring to the length of the Kickstarter or your intended start date)
Fingers crossed for after the holidays. So much stuff comes out the next three months T_T.

Right now it's one big ADPCM-B track. I've pinged the usual suspects that usually do stuff for the Genesis (YM2612), as the format and process to compose for the YM2610 will be pretty similar from a FM perspective. So everyone who's good with Deflemask and feels a bit adventurous (you'll need to compose over two songs, FM in Genesis and PCM parts in arcade mode), please ping me :)

Indeed, I'm just excited to see more of it :P

Have you got a video or something you're happy to post?

Also, as far as I'm aware all Neo games regardless of vertical orientation are still played on a horizontal monitor - does your new game require tate?

I'll send you the ROM later today if you're keen. It's pretty basic as that one was more a proof of concept. Only thing missing is scoring and actual ending after you fight the end boss.

Both, 4 weeks to get there, than have it running for 30 days.

Indeed, I'm just excited to see more of it :P

Have you got a video or something you're happy to post?

Also, as far as I'm aware all Neo games regardless of vertical orientation are still played on a horizontal monitor - does your new game require tate?
We're preparing some gameplay captures to share as part of the Kickstarter trailer. I've shared some older, very first footage with @SmokeMonster a few weeks back and also did a longer video chat with another author from @RetroRGB's site (Ray) today where I showcased the latest prototype running on one of my cabinets using a MVS+Darksoft Multi-MVS cartridge.

It's TATE. It would be easy to add an option to rotate controls, so you can at least play on a horizontal setup. But the graphics and text would not be actually rotated.

Last edited:
Lovely! Is an AES cart on the cards? I'd also settle for a ROM version that's runnable on a multi, even if that meant a longer wait.

Hey folks!

tldr; After developing a simple shmup for the Gameboy Color a few months back, I've decided to team up with some people and go all in on developing a full-blown Shmup for the Neo Geo MVS.

project_neon_logo.png

Planned "features"
  • Rock solid 60fps action, parallax scrolling and beautiful animated graphics
  • Five distinctive levels (4 freely selectable, 1 unlockable) and screen-filling boss fights
  • Huge variety of enemies and weapons!
  • Tight controls with zero-lag
  • 2 player co-op
  • Vertical monitor setup only (TATE)
  • A rhythm-based game mechanics/bonus stages [Stretch goal]
  • A strangely familiar antagonist
Alpha screenshots

1_medsize.jpg

Running on actual arcade hardware (MVS + Dark Soft Multi-MVS)

Game plan going forward

- Finish/polish internal prototype within next 4 weeks (the game is already working on actual hardware with buttery-smooth 60fps parallax scrolling, 2 player co-op, lots of enemies and bullet types, etc)
- Prepare and launch Kickstarter campaign (30 days)
- Finish the game and ship MVS cartridges around September 2020

We'll share much more details as part of the Kickstarter campaign, including all the things we've ticked and put in place already to make sure we set ourselves up for success.

It's quite possible that we'll use this thread as the official "smaller updates and feedback" blog, next to the main Kickstarter one of course.

More soon!
Hey friend,

Great news to know about a new development of a new game for Neo Geo. I hope you can make a great game, but at a lower price than we currently have.

Likewise it is important to also launch ROMs, because with Multiplayer cartridges, having these ROMs available is a good deal. I believe this is what N.G.Dev: Team should do. Launch the cartridges and launch the ROMs of your games or vice versa, as there is room to trade both.

Go ahead and wish you success !!

It's TATE. It would be easy to add an option to rotate controls, so you can at least play on a horizontal setup. But the graphics and text would not be actually rotated.
I'll be honest, tating a Neo Geo game definitely reduces the appeal for me. I'm just not going to rotate my Neo Candy monitor for one game, when the entire Neo Geo library is horizontal. That basically flies in the face of Neo Geo's use case, which is easily swappable games, and makes this feel like a bit of a gimmick. Like, why even use Neo Geo hardware then? I wouldn't put this in my 4 slot, it would look broken any time it rotated in.

I like vertical shmups, and I don't want to sound negative or critical, just trying to be helpful by pointing out that I doubt I'm alone in this before you launch your Kickstarter.

Back