What's new

DrBackhands

Student
Reaction score
Hello all!

I am getting ready to hook up Sonic the Fighters (JP version). I have the board in storage and recently picked up a med. res. monitor, so I figure what I now need is a PSU, control panel, audio amp, and the wiring that connects it all--if I'm missing anything lemme know. That said, after looking at the wiring diagram for Sonic Championship, which I assume is mostly the same as Sonic the Fighters, I get a bit confused and figure I'd ask you good people for some clarity!

Wiring Q's.png

The wiring shown in the red circle includes a transformer, fuse, and lug, correct? I know why there's a transformer and fuse (running 120 V through the amp would be bad...) But when I look for Model 2B CRX harnesses online, none of them include these things. I've never seen a Sega Model 2 post mention them before (maybe because it's self explanatory?). Is this something I'm going to be able to find/buy, or will I have to make it myself?

Anyway, even if there's an easier solution not involving the amp shown in the diagram, I'd still love to know what's going on as a learning opportunity. Thanks for any help!

n.b. I've read dbstallman's post on this thread about the 838-10018 audio amp, but I'm still unclear about the above.

I run my Sega 838-10018 sound board using 12 VDC from PSU. CN1 (Pin1 12V) and (Pin3 Ground).

What Model 2B harnesses are you looking at online ?

The official Sega Amp that came with this board essentially used transformer to drop the AC voltage to 1/10th output the amp then has some onboard circuitry to essentially be powered by 12V AC.

the Net City amplifiers work the same way with their torrid transformer for power input.

Most likely these board have a bridge rectifier to convert AC to DC on board, which is why they also have a 12V DC output. Though this is likely very dirty power.

On a whole this is only relevant if you're trying to get the original Sega Amplifier working. This is completely irrelevant if you're wiring to a cab that has it's own amplifier, or if you're using your own audio amp.

Thanks for the heads up! After posting elsewhere, someone else explained I could just use a newer amp that runs of 12V DC, which would save me both time and money over the 838-10083, so I figure that's what I'll do!

Hello all!

I am getting ready to hook up Sonic the Fighters (JP version). I have the board in storage and recently picked up a med. res. monitor, so I figure what I now need is a PSU, control panel, audio amp, and the wiring that connects it all--if I'm missing anything lemme know. That said, after looking at the wiring diagram for Sonic Championship, which I assume is mostly the same as Sonic the Fighters, I get a bit confused and figure I'd ask you good people for some clarity!

Wiring Q's.png

The wiring shown in the red circle includes a transformer, fuse, and lug, correct? I know why there's a transformer and fuse (running 120 V through the amp would be bad...) But when I look for Model 2B CRX harnesses online, none of them include these things. I've never seen a Sega Model 2 post mention them before (maybe because it's self explanatory?). Is this something I'm going to be able to find/buy, or will I have to make it myself?

Anyway, even if there's an easier solution not involving the amp shown in the diagram, I'd still love to know what's going on as a learning opportunity. Thanks for any help!

n.b. I've read dbstallman's post on this thread about the 838-10018 audio amp, but I'm still unclear about the above.
Ho, cod you tell me where you found this diagram? I'm wrestling with a Virtual On twin cab and would be great to have diagrams for boards. The ones I've found are blurry, and yours is so clear. Hope your project has gone well. Cheers

Back