What's new
A DIMM will never read a CD-R, media lockout
I think around 10 years ago there was a CD-R modification made by Elsemi and sporty(?) which made it possible to boot CD-R's with the Naomi GD-Rom / dimm board- combo. This mod was never publicly released though, but it's an interesting tidbit to share :)

the cdr method was mentioned here on the forum too vague for me to figure it out ive tried

I was thinking about asking you to do this. I just want to make sure what the update process was for the different firmware versions found on netdimms was.
I have 3 Dimm's myself. I only tried updating one. It just happened to have 1.xx firmware. I suppose I can check the FW revisions on the other two. If I am lucky, one of the other two Dimm's might have firmware revision 2.xx. If so, I can give it that one the good ole' college try and update the firmware with the disc, then report back.

If not, ship it and we'll keep our fingers crossed.

I'm in the same boat as Derick. He sent me one if his 2.13 netdimms, so I was gonna see if anyone could update it as well.

I'm in the same boat as Derick. He sent me one if his 2.13 netdimms, so I was gonna see if anyone could update it as well.
Ship it. Pay for the return freight in advance. I'll get it to rev 3.17 if I can with the disc, then will send it back. You get it to rev 4.02, if you can. If not, let me know. No service fee. Consider it good tidings among our tight knit group.

I might as well get some work out of that disc and GDROM.

@Mugicha, @Derick2k,

You guys have Dimm's with 2.13 firmware right? You should be able to Netboot to update your Dimm's first to 4.01, then to 4.02.
  • Using transfergame.exe to Netboot to 3.17 will not work; Dimm just errors out
  • Using transfergame.exe to Netboot 4.01 works just fine however; You won't brick your Dimm either
  • Once 4.01 is installed, you can finally Netboot to 4.02
No disc required. No Dr. Tyler Durden surgical procedure required. I can confirm this myself as I did it with a (lower) 2.06 revision NetDimm and transfergame.exe (never used anything but transfergame.exe for my Netbooting needs, fyi). Worked with 2.06. Don't see how it won't work with 2.13. I talked with another member about this over here. Give it the ole' college try.

@Mugicha, @Derick2k,

You guys have Dimm's with 2.13 firmware right? You should be able to Netboot to update your Dimm's first to 4.01, then to 4.02.
  • Using transfergame.exe to Netboot to 3.17 will not work; Dimm just errors out
  • Using transfergame.exe to Netboot 4.01 works just fine however; You won't brick your Dimm either
  • Once 4.01 is installed, you can finally Netboot to 4.02
No disc required. No Dr. Tyler Durden surgical procedure required. I can confirm this myself as I did it with a (lower) 2.06 revision NetDimm and transfergame.exe (never used anything but transfergame.exe for my Netbooting needs, fyi). Worked with 2.06. Don't see how it won't work with 2.13. I talked with another member about this over here. Give it the ole' college try.
Thanks, will give it a go :thumbup:

@acblunden2,

thank you for the info man, I'd like to try. Where can I find the updates? and does it work the same way as booting a game like c:\naomi: transfergame.exe 192.yada yada yada firmware.bin?

The CD-R option required desoldering and resoldering the DIMM BIOS. It was not trivial. IIRC there was also an issue with a media check failing after 1 hour.

The CD-R option required desoldering and resoldering the DIMM BIOS. It was not trivial. IIRC there was also an issue with a media check failing after 1 hour.
This revelation then makes the purpose of the original discussion moot. Derick2k was inquiring to see if he could perform the Dimm firware update with a CDR since the firmware upgrade disc is impossible to get a hold of. He wants to update his firmware with the disc because he is averse to updating the firmware with Tyler Durden's surgical method. If he is averse to that, he'd be more averse to down the path of the CDR option to update his firmware, even if that is possible.

Anyhow, these guys might be able to netboot to update their firmware. I gave them details. Waiting for a status report.

I'm gonna give it a shot tomorrow morning AC, been too busy lately, and tomorrow is my first free day in a while. I went a head and dl'd the 4.01. The link for the 4.02 on that page only went to a blank page.

If you are using a netdimm you shouldn't need to use Tyler's method anyway right? His method is only for normal DIMMs.

Ok. Yeah they should be able to upgrade without soldering as long as their original DIMMs aren't 1.02 like most are.

Nope, sorry for the confusion guys, we have all netdimms, FW ver 2.13, have like 4 of these.

So...no disc needed, just upgrade from 2.13 to 4.01??

IMG_5002.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_5001.JPG
    IMG_5001.JPG
    68.2 KB · Views: 66
Oops. Even better then. Update 2.xx to 4.01. No need to update to 4.02 if you updating a NetDimm. 4.02 is only needed for Dimm's. Do Derick. Let us know how it goes.

Oops. Even better then. Update 2.xx to 4.01. No need to update to 4.02 if you updating a NetDimm. 4.02 is only needed for Dimm's. Do Derick. Let us know how it goes.
4.02 is needed if you want to use the CF solution without being locked to HAGIWARA cards.

4.02 is needed if you want to use the CF solution without being locked to HAGIWARA cards.

GD-Rom disc are larger than a CD-R. Not sure what/if any standard can be read on the GD_ROM. but probably not having a blank r/w gd-rom would be an issue.

Is that what you mean?

-at least it's an issue with the DC being GD_ROM
GD-Rom stands for Gigadisc-Rom, basically because they can allocate 1 Gb of data. They use more "dense" discs which can still be read using regular drives but just slowing down the turning speed. IIRC that means that you need a specific BIOS. I've heard some rumours about a soon to release firmware that allows booting from CDR.

Back