What's new

thejew

Student
Reaction score
I got a bad Naomi 2 in the mail today that I over paid for because surprise it's all F'd up.

It has checkerboard issue and also works in slow motion.

The slow motion splash screen speeds up and text is right if I press on the chip in between the two GPUs but still checkered.

On top of that the pic on the dimm was bent to shit, I wouldn't use the holder it seems like a pain getting the pins aligned obviously. And the thing wouldn't even boot until I pulled the super cap off. Looks like a weak case fan over heated the CPU or the bad packaging and abuse.

To get to the point can I blast this heatsink with a pen torch a little to maybe bring it back?
Its still solid just has a couple bad joints I think.

Could the CPU cause the checker board issues.

I have one of these as well. Was going to have Ken @irepairsega take a look, but work hasn’t let up and can’t take it to him. Hoping he can fix it.

I have to much in it to pay to have it repaired so I need to figure out how to get the heat sink off without killing it more.

Well I ordered a BGA kit a very basic one. I've been wanting a hot air station anyway. Nothing to loose now.

Did the Naomi use lead free solder? Never here good things about lead free solder.

Most likely. I rework with leaded solder though. The challenge can be removing ICs that used unleaded solder. They require a lot more heat.

If you say you have too much into it, have one of the pros here attempt the repair. If you dont know what you are doing, you can further mess it up beyond repair. But, if you do attempt it, please practice on something else first.

Last edited:
Back