What's new

kissedin

Student
Reaction score
MV1-1
Back up RAM error. 5555. 0055. Alot of oxidized solder around (a leaking) battery area.

Desoldered battery. Cleaned up and neutralized oxid.

Patched 4 broken traces on upper BRAM.
Booted up to ... Work ram error (both).
Adress ****** (don't remember) Write 0000. Read 1111.

One step back since MVS tests must pass work ram before back-up RAM.

After this a circus followed with me changing RAM-chips and getting various work- and back-up RAM errors. Sometimes all tests did pass with diagrom - but not with stock bios or unibios.

Checked select line and data lines: OK. Nothing made any sense.

Suspected and redid my trace-work. Also found new rotten trace AS04 to LS32 chip. This brought stability and I could boot to a crosshatch with stock bios.

When playing a game all sprites had vertical lines. A quick google revealed that this is caused by problems with the c-rom. Checked traces around connector. Found 3 bad traces. But patching these brought no change.

I made this pin-out to know where to look ...
IMG_20240106_144643.jpg
(CR is on the cart slot, next column is on the board (cap side is the side on the slot module which has a capacitor. Resistor side ... Final column is ZMC2.)

Summer on cartridge slot to ZMC2 chip: CR30 to pin 45 was bad. Patched this and vertical lines were gone.

Final inspection; discovered 6 broken traces from the dip-switches. Fixed these as well. Then had a beer.

Last edited:
Back