What's new
Meshmixer worked fine. It even had a mode specifically for my Ideabuilder printer. Printed out fine. Can't wait to install it!
NICE! I'm anxious to see how well it comes out for others. There's always the fear that if my calibrations are off it wont print right for other people.

Got my colleague to print me one, so will test with my phoebe.

A GDemu version sounds great too, but also makes me sad, since I have a first revision GDemu board, and it's a completely different PCB shape to the ones you get now :(

looking at some pictures of the GDEMU setup it looks tricky. There doesn't seem to be any good mounting points ||

A GDemu version sounds great too, but also makes me sad, since I have a first revision GDemu board, and it's a completely different PCB shape to the ones you get now
are there only 2 shapes? and is this the older version that you have?

v5.jpg

I can't promise anything but if/when I do tackle the GDEMU I'll keep the old board versions in mind.

Now Available on Thiniverse: thingiverse.com/thing:1546926
You are freaking awesome T, amazing work there buddy. Gonna try it on my SLA printer when I can, but I do love the red, which my printer does not do. Any chance I can buy 1 unit in red from you? Thanks for this, cant wait to see your work on the GDEMU. Sendinf a few beers your way. :thumbup:

funny you should mention the red... I'm printing myself a black one right now so it blends in better with the Saturn case :P

I did the prototypes in Red because because it contrasted well with the case and the PCB so you could easily see which parts were the tray and which parts were not.

looking at some pictures of the GDEMU setup it looks tricky. There doesn't seem to be any good mounting points ||

A GDemu version sounds great too, but also makes me sad, since I have a first revision GDemu board, and it's a completely different PCB shape to the ones you get now
are there only 2 shapes? and is this the older version that you have?
I can't promise anything but if/when I do tackle the GDEMU I'll keep the old board versions in mind.
Yep, that's the fella. The newer ones stretch right across the bay to secure to a screwhole by the PSU, these original ones have no such support. Always a bit scary inserting/removing an SD card since it's only really mounted by the connector.

Colleague just dropped off the print of the rhea tray (in black, naturally), looks great. I've got some supports to remove, but I'll take some pics tonight when it's tidied up :)

Will flick you a couple of paypal bucks, thanks so much for doing this! (edit: or not, apparently paypal.me isn't available in my country, wtf?)

Last edited:
Yep, that's the fella. The newer ones stretch right across the bay to secure to a screwhole by the PSU, these original ones have no such support. Always a bit scary inserting/removing an SD card since it's only really mounted by the connector.
Sounds like that revision could use a 3D printed support bracket as well. I wonder if anyone has a broken one they'd be willing to send me to work with.

apparently paypal.me isn't available in my country, wtf?)
WTF indeed.

I printed mine in black. I actually had a Phoebe to install and it fits great.
:thumbsup: So glad to hear that the fitment is still good on other people's printers and consoles.

Yeah my black one had some supports I couldn't remove. For whatever reason my printer almost tries to print some small things too fast and they can pull up and I think some of the supports didn't print right so I had to file them down. The blue one I printed came out a lot better then my black one did. Can't see the imperfections because they are on the bottom. lol. Blue one looks nice though. I think because I heated the print platform with my heating pad ahead of time for the blue one.

Yeah my black one had some supports I couldn't remove. For whatever reason my printer almost tries to print some small things too fast and they can pull up and I think some of the supports didn't print right so I had to file them down. The blue one I printed came out a lot better then my black one did. Can't see the imperfections because they are on the bottom. lol. Blue one looks nice though. I think because I heated the print platform with my heating pad ahead of time for the blue one.
3D printing can be a real pain in the ass sometimes. The worst is when out of the blue something that worked fine for ages just decides to print like shit. like I printed 4 or so test prints for this tray and then #5 decided to not stick to the build platform and I end up with a birds nest, #6 sticks except for the supports so it's half a birds nest, and then #7 prints fine again... :cursing:

I've got a rigidbot that I've already done a bunch of modifications to and have the parts for a bunch more but haven't spend the time with it. Sometimes it's an awesome printer, other times it's a pile of junk. I feel like the biggest thing keeping 3D printing from mainstream use is just the software and consistency in the machines.

I bought my Dremel 3D Ideabuilder 3 months ago when it was still cold. The first day was warm in my house and everything printed perfectly. A few days later it was pretty chilly and I tried printing some things and they warped almost immediately. It was horrible. This machine is reviewed really well and seems really reliable. I did zero research on 3D printing before diving in so it's kinda my fault for now knowing certain things ahead of time. There is one print head mod that I see that will allow my printer to use other materials other than PLA. I might try it later on. I would love a heated platform mod but for now I just preheat the platform. Since it is an enclosed case on this printer the temp inside raises enough to prevent warping after a few minutes of printing. So it's not so bad.

The only thing that pisses me off a bit is that I bought this from Lowes but they decided to not carry it in store anymore so there is no place local for me to buy filaments at all.

yeah I was in a similar situation with mine... I did some research based on features and went with the biggest printer I could find in my price range. I knew people said that the RigidBot was more geared toward people who liked to hack/modify things as opposed to a more complete consumer experience and I was ok with that. ... It took me 5 hours to assemble the thing and then once I was done I was like WTF how do I USE it? it came with NO software to speak of. I had to then research software that would communicate with it and software to slice files. and of course none of it had parameters set that would work with my specific printer.... it's been a long road, lol

If one were interested in buying one of these, how much would it cost? Can I take this file to a 3d printing shop around Los Angeles and have them print it for me? I'm willing to buy it from someone here in the forums but if it'd be cheaper or quicker to have it printed locally, I'll go with that. Just want to get an idea of how much we're talking about with either option (paypal shipped vs. local 3d printing).

If one were interested in buying one of these, how much would it cost? Can I take this file to a 3d printing shop around Los Angeles and have them print it for me? I'm willing to buy it from someone here in the forums but if it'd be cheaper or quicker to have it printed locally, I'll go with that. Just want to get an idea of how much we're talking about with either option (paypal shipped vs. local 3d printing).
I can tell you that on a typical FDM style printer it uses less than $1 worth of material and will take 1-3 hours to print depending on the machine and quality settings.

You can use that as a basis for determining if people's prices are reasonable.

It's all a time thing for me. I sold mine for $10. Almost two hours of my machine being unavailable. Still less than minimum wage. :P

is there a link anywhere to buy one or have it printed? I need one that's offwhite (jp sat)....

Back