What's new
The case fan was 120x120x25 I believe.

I got my RE2 up and running and it sounded like a Boing 747 getting ready for departure on runway 4 in my arcade.

So i got with @Derick2k and he had worked out which fans were needed to silence the wind tunnel test going on in my Chewlix.

Here is the list he sent me..

7AVZbuBl.jpg

Here is the initial test for the install..

hrpNk9rl.jpg

..At this point I should own stock in Noctua. Just about every PC style arcade PCB I have (246, 256, TTX2, RE2... ) now has had a complete fan overhaul using Noctuas.

Case fan is pretty straight forward its kind of a pain to get it fitted in..

J5Lv22Hl.jpg

I did not take any pictures of the CPU fan installation but follow the directions and be patient as you pretty much have to dismantle the whole RE2

Now for the power supply fan. This required some modification as the original fan is two wire and the Noctua is four wire.

QcNTG3xl.jpg

7O9fgsJl.jpg

5v7TUTxl.jpg

What I did was pop the pins out of the original connector and crimp new pins onto the Noctua fan's wires. Then popped the Noctua wires into the original connector as I did not have one on hand. Saved me from having to order one and wait.

Black to Black (ground)
Red to Yellow (12VDC)

For the other two wires I pulled the sleeve tight and cut them short so they would be hidden inside the insulated Noctua sleeve. (sorry no pictures of that)

Sw4lBwwl.jpg

Last edited:
Question to @Derick2k or @Dreygor... Is there any one fan that is responsible for the majority of the noise?
I have replaced the rear fan with almost zero impact... of course, that was the largest and should have been the quietest to begin with...
On that train of thought... is the the PSU fan?

Question to @Derick2k or @Dreygor... Is there any one fan that is responsible for the majority of the noise?
I have replaced the rear fan with almost zero impact... of course, that was the largest and should have been the quietest to begin with...
On that train of thought... is the the PSU fan?
almost always in these type of pc systems its the smaller fans in the psu, followed by the cpu cooler fan I would say. Case fans can be loud as well though depending on the type. Definitely change the PSU fan first.

Are you guys running these in a cabinet? Just curious as will be running mine in a Lindbergh cab, and I’m guessing fan replacement isn’t worth the effort with all the other fan noises in the cabinet. Cheers.

Running mine in a Namco Noir which has one almost silent fan, so I swapped out the fans in the Ring edge for quiet ones too. Those old fans are very noisy!

most fan noise is actually caused by the airflow across everything.
and watch the temps dont rise if your swapping fans - they exist for a reason.

Just wanted to thank @Dreygor for the list of fan sizes.
I have just finished replacing all 3 fans in my RE2 and couldn't be happier. It's whisper quiet now!
Not exactly cheap, but the result is awesome.

Just wanted to thank everyone in this thread! Just finished converting my Ringedge 2 Over to noctua fans and I couldn’t be happier. It’s amazing that about 80% of the fan noise was coming from the power supply fan.
Good stuff guys.

Lindbergh next..

Last edited:
just replaced mine as well, and it sounds like I'll need the 40 mm PSU fan replaced as well.
I was able to pull the PSU without removing anything from the motherboard, I just disconnected the cables removed the 6 screws slid it back to free the tab on the bottom and pulled it up.
I was happy about that didn’t want to cause any damage ripping it all apart.
I used the 4 screws that came with the new fan,, the OG ones are too small for the Noctua

Back