What's new

MechaJubei

Student
Reaction score
Hey all,

So I got a Naomi board with a bunch of games which included Rival Schools 2 (Project Justice) but when I put in the code "password" to unlock all the hidden characters in the Test Menu for the game it doesn't save if I turn off my machine. I know that the Naomi itself has a battery to save settings, but I'm assuming it's good because it saves my codes / setting for Marvel vs Capcom 2 and apparently the other 4 games I have as well.

My question is, do these carts have an internal battery as well? If not, what would be causing the Naomi to not retain the setting for RS2? Such a pain to go to test mode and enter the password every time I turn on the game.

Thanks in advance.

Such a pain to go to test mode and enter the password every time I turn on the game.
ya, I'm pretty sure you have to enter all the character unlock passwords each time you turn the system on.
same with MvC2.

I think there is a list around here with all the games that have pass-codes. have to find it.

Edit:
One-stop place with all NAOMI game unlock codes and passwords ?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Are there any patch roms for a net-dimm or CF card reader that has the password unlocks already patched in?

Such a pain to go to test mode and enter the password every time I turn on the game.
ya, I'm pretty sure you have to enter all the character unlock passwords each time you turn the system on.same with MvC2.

I think there is a list around here with all the games that have pass-codes. have to find it.

Edit:
One-stop place with all NAOMI game unlock codes and passwords ?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Are there any patch roms for a net-dimm or CF card reader that has the password unlocks already patched in?
Actually, my MvC2 retains all the unlock codes I've used. It even retains them if I use a different MvC2 cart (I have 3). That makes sense to me because all the arcades I've been to turn off their games at night but still have all the secret characters available the next day. No idea why RS2 isn't acting the same as the other games....which made me think maybe there is a battery in there? I wanted to ask here before taking the cart apart since it's one of my all time favorite fighters and I'd hate to bork the cart.

might also be when you change carts? if it keeps everything after a power cycle, what happens when you change game carts?

MvC2 keeps everything even if I change carts. However RS2 loses everything if I just power cycle for a second. I have a game called Giant Gram 2000 (fun as hell Japanese wrestling game) and I know it has secret characters because the move sheet it came with has a bunch of other characters that are not available...but I don't know how to unlock them to test that game to see if it retains after power cycle. :(

MvC2 keeps everything even if I change carts. However RS2 loses everything if I just power cycle for a second. I have a game called Giant Gram 2000 (fun as hell Japanese wrestling game) and I know it has secret characters because the move sheet it came with has a bunch of other characters that are not available...but I don't know how to unlock them to test that game to see if it retains after power cycle. :(
I lost all my unlocks on MVC2 when I switched to a CVS1 cart. I put the codes for the extra characters and stuff, it will save them when I turn it back on.

I lost all my unlocks on MVC2 when I switched to a CVS1 cart. I put the codes for the extra characters and stuff, it will save them when I turn it back on.
Strange, I can change out my MvC2 cart and when I put it back in everything is still saved. If I turn off my machine with my Rival Schools 2 cart in I lose everything. I just don't get it...is it a bad cart? I didn't think it was the carts that saved that info, I thought it was the Naomi system itself.

My question is, do these carts have an internal battery as well? If not, what would be causing the Naomi to not retain the setting for RS2?
no, carts haven't non-voltage memory. RS2 uses regular Naomi motherboard SRAM to save progress and unlocks.
so the problem can be with SRAM IC itself or battery.

My question is, do these carts have an internal battery as well? If not, what would be causing the Naomi to not retain the setting for RS2?
no, carts haven't non-voltage memory. RS2 uses regular Naomi motherboard SRAM to save progress and unlocks.so the problem can be with SRAM IC itself or battery.
Strange since I've had no issues with MvC2 saving. Anyway, I now think there may be something wrong with the RS2 cart now. I've been playing it fine for about a week but last night the screen went black. When I rebooted the system it loaded the game but was missing some sounds, after I selected my character it would freeze the game. Rebooted multiple times and it freezes after character selection each time now.....not sure what the heck is going on. I tried it on two different Naomi systems with same results. Other games work fine. :(

Update on this - I did a ROM check and now two ROMs are bad. I contacted Ken over at www.irepairsega.com and he said he can fix it, so I'm shipping it out to him. I don't know if the suddenly faulty ROM had anything to do with data not saving but I guess when I get it back we'll see.

Back