What's new

TodoRojo

Grand Master
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I'm not sure if I'm out of the loop or not here, but I took apart some of my lock cylinders and found that the key can be removed when unlocked if you remove a locking pin. @GeekMan1222 confirmed on twitter as well! It definitely works and I have removed this from the locks on the doors of my cabs.

This mod could be really helpful to people that only have one 5380 key but want to keep locks in their control panels for their Astro Cities. Better yet, it's totally reversible. I made a little video on it. Let me know if I can clarify anything.

View: https://youtu.be/6sQIpw7sBck

Nice work and glad to hear it's reversible.

If we've gone this far do we know the Polarity order of the magnets and do we as a community then have enough info to 3d print replacement keys with slots for the necessary tiny magnets?

Nice work and glad to hear it's reversible.

If we've gone this far do we know the Polarity order of the magnets and do we as a community then have enough info to 3d print replacement keys with slots for the necessary tiny magnets?
From what I can tell, the polarity is the same for the first and third magnets. So really just two variables there

I actually found this out on accident because one of the 5380 locks I had in my box o parts exploded into pieces (PS remember to put the nut back on the lock when storing)
I had to take another 5380 and carefully take it apart and the reassemble both locks only to find that I missed a pin and that pin was why the key could be removed while unlocked LOL

Now that the system is out of the cylinder. What would you guys recommend to clean it? It's filthy af.

Thanks!

Now that the system is out of the cylinder. What would you guys recommend to clean it? It's filthy af.

Thanks!
You can, but it can cause it to stick if you do clean it because some of that filth is old grease. I would actually leave it alone if it is turning well. Just my 2¢

Reactions: nem
Be carefull when you remove the smallest spring (the one based around the ''T'' plug). The first time I did it, It took me half an hour to find it since it jumped out from the lock like a grasshopper and flew somewhere in my room . I was very lucky that day to have find it so quick.
Btw, the good thing with dismounting these locks is that you can bring the main bodies to the manufacture and make them plated (Cr3 - blue zinc), then they looks brand new.
Ps. regarding the nuts, and other yellow stuffs around, the platting is Cr6 - yellow zinc.

DSCN8915.JPG

DSCN8914.JPG

Last edited:
Back