What's new

Mr. X

Student
Reaction score
Hello guys,

Working on fixing up my first cab purchase. If you've seen my other thread, you'll know I got a whole new control panel w/ new buttons and sticks up and running. However, my next project is to change out the stock speakers and have stereo sound.

I purchased and gutted Cambridge Soundworks SBS52 PC speakers to replace the stock ones. I'm hoping this will increase the quality of sound. However, in terms of getting stereo sound to work on a CPS2 or CPS3 board...

Am I required to get a Stereo Amp to accomplish stereo sound? Could I just get something like this:

1560-57865-01_1_m.png

Basically just turning the stock 4 Pin AMP connector to RCA and get a male-to-male RCA cable and plug the speakers into RCA ports on a CPS3 board for example? Essentially completely bypassing the JAMMA audio connectors. Will I still need to get an amp? Or will this be sufficient for providing stereo sound?

You are absolutely required to get an amp. Or it's going to be veeeeeeeeeeeery quiet. Even something super cheap will fit the bill.

What you linked would solve the physical wiring connections, but that's all.

I did a write up here on how to add a stereo amp to the Astro. Do a search. Mega easy to do.

I searched your writeup, but only saw one for the New Astro City which has a built-in amp?

Anyway... I figure the easiest way of doing this is just plugging in the stock wiring into an amp. My question is... The pins that currently are going into my JAMMA connector for the speakers... Can I use those same 4 wires as the High Level Output on an amp? like the wire clamp-on connectors on an amp.

I guess another way would be to disconnect the built-in wiring quick disconnects to the speakers. and just run speaker wire from speakers to amp directly?

I wouldn't feed my amp the amplified Jamma signal, but use a line level converter in between :)

Back