What's new
Want To Buy

itsmedario

Student
Reaction score
Hi All!

Long time lurker here. I was finally able to purchase a Sega Blast City a couple of weeks ago and am looking for parts in order to start restoring it. One item that's been slightly baffling is the control panel overlap. No insult to the ones sold and produced at the moment but there seems to be discrepancies with what we have on the market.

Most, are missing the borders around the "1PLAY" AND "2PLAY" lettering. Please see the image below for reference.

IMG_4893.jpg

IMG_4894.jpg

Also, the colors in the background seem to be off in some control panels. Some are missing the yellow and orange in conjunction with the red, purple, white, etc. Please see the images below for reference.

IMG_4895.jpg

IMG_4896.jpg

I can be completely wrong or overly picky but my artist brain will not allow me to turn a blind eye to the mistakes.

Does anyone have a recommendation on a panel that's accurate to the original?

This two-player scan on Arcade Otaku seems to be accurate but most people are using the repro version they provide.

Original 2 Player Scan

2 Player Repro Version

It does look like Yaton is selling the most accurate reproductions but it's hard to tell since his images are grainy.

Anyway, I would appreciate any recommendations y'all might have.

Please and thank you! I can't wait to dive into this restoration.

It has a protective plastic coating (un-removed) in that pic.

I will see if I can post a picture of mine when I get home.

Del

No one is better than @alberto1225
You won't be happier with any other panel. They won't come close. Also, you won't find one that is UV reactant like the original. Not sure why those details matters, just enjoy your game! A nice clean panel is better than a rusty, warped one!!!

No one is better than @alberto1225
You won't be happier with any other panel. They won't come close. Also, you won't find one that is UV reactant like the original. Not sure why those details matters, just enjoy your game! A nice clean panel is better than a rusty, warped one!!!
Valid.

I get the color differences, and I don't know why they are a challenge to reproduce exactly- but @alberto1225 's panels are even better than the originals. Even if you found an overlay with the color variety matching, the craftsmanship of his panels are legit better than the old panels. Don't sweat it, get his panels.

If you ever find a better one you can sell that Alberto panel in less than 30 seconds on this forum.

I appreciate all the feedback. I've been in touch with Alberto over the last day and will most likely purchase one of his panels today.

it seems to be missing the variety in colors in the background, no?

The colors will vary on official panels as well. Sega had them made in different markets by different manufacturers, and then of course Sanwa and Seimitsu were also licensed to make them.

I have a Sanwa original that's got quite a bit of yellow and a repro (not Alberto's) that's all purple and orange. No yellow at all.

IMO the Sanwa looks way better, but I'm used to seeing it too.

The colors will vary on official panels as well. Sega had them made in different markets by different manufacturers, and then of course Sanwa and Seimitsu were also licensed to make them.
This makes a lot of sense. I've had maybe 6 Blast panels, in various stick/button combos and different plates. Most vary. Some are heavy with YELLOW tones in the background, others favor ORANGE, and some favor purple/red. They definitely were made by different makers over the years as all mine were original with rust in all the same spots etc.
Good to verify this. Plus, all my original panels uv react, so that's a quick tell.

Same, the one I have has orange and yellow hues which makes it look really nice. I work in the animation industry and have offered to update Alberto's file. He seemed open to it, I'll keep y'all posted if that comes to fruition.

Following because I also work in an art career and have wanted a new panel for my blast, but am picky when it comes details. If you can work with Alberto to get his panels looking closer to original it'll be an instant buy from me.

Took some photos of my Alberto panels:
- One is installed on my Astro City.
- The other is one with an 8 button layout so that I could install a Neo Geo or six button layout on the same panel.
1000004444.jpg

1000004446.jpg

1000004448.jpg

1000004452.jpg

1000004454.jpg

1000004456.jpg

1000004458.jpg

1000004460.jpg

Del

Back