What's new

GamingDoyle

Student
Reaction score
Hi folks,

I’m looking to buy a virtua fighter Sega model 1. (I know it’s supposed to be a pain) It’s the full cage so it would have the IO board and whatnot. Any advice / links on powering it and getting video out? Ive got a few jamma boards and a supergun but I know this is going to be all custom wiring and I’ll need to run video through something to make it usable by a monitor or a scaler for hdmi since the video is “medium res”. I’ll take any help/tips/caveats people are willing to share. It looks like from a pinout diagram there are two points to power it for instance? Are the connectors jst? Too bad it’s more obscure so people don’t sell model 1 to jamma harnesses ;)

Sometimes you gotta make your own harnesses haha
4078A025-DA37-4F96-A973-0B5F273AD323.jpeg

nice! So is it just pin to pin from the IO board without needing to do anything too crazy? Like I should be able to take the model 1 pinout and a jamma pinout and go from there?

Audio will be line level coming from Model 1, but otherwise, yeah. Four wires for +5V (like in the above pic) isn't enough though.

I did the RGBS and controls through the JAMMA board. I made a stereo harness to go from the filter board to the Sega AMP. I power the game board with a HAPP PSU. It’s a mess but it works.

Audio will be line level coming from Model 1, but otherwise, yeah. Four wires for +5V (like in the above pic) isn't enough though.
I did the RGBS and controls through the JAMMA board. I made a stereo harness to go from the filter board to the Sega AMP. I power the game board with a HAPP PSU. It’s a mess but it works.
Cool I’d probably do something similar. So for audio I could just run that through any amp you just happen to have a Sega one that used to be in the cab? So you have 5V+ on the jamma edge into one power connector and the HAAP into the other?

Seller says sound is working so the big case/cage must have the sound board in there?

The sound board on the model 1 doesn’t sit inside the cage. You’ll have to ask to be totally sure. If you can get all the harnesses your life will be easier. Are you having this shipped? If so you’re in store for a huge box. pic of cage and sound bd on opposite sides of an NA cab below for reference.

93F9BE19-6D6B-4CED-B8C3-0A209CD7ABFF.jpeg

The sound board on the model 1 doesn’t sit inside the cage. You’ll have to ask to be totally sure. If you can get all the harnesses your life will be easier. Are you having this shipped? If so you’re in store for a huge box. pic of cage and sound bd on opposite sides of an NA cab below for reference.

93F9BE19-6D6B-4CED-B8C3-0A209CD7ABFF.jpeg
Thanks for this, I’m bailing out because it went from the sound being working to if it needs another board than no. Don’t want to buy it and then maybe never be able to get hold of the sound board.

Depends on how much they are asking. Those sound boards are all over the place. $40-$50

Hi folks,

I’m looking to buy a virtua fighter Sega model 1. (I know it’s supposed to be a pain) It’s the full cage so it would have the IO board and whatnot. Any advice / links on powering it and getting video out? Ive got a few jamma boards and a supergun but I know this is going to be all custom wiring and I’ll need to run video through something to make it usable by a monitor or a scaler for hdmi since the video is “medium res”. I’ll take any help/tips/caveats people are willing to share. It looks like from a pinout diagram there are two points to power it for instance? Are the connectors jst? Too bad it’s more obscure so people don’t sell model 1 to jamma harnesses ;)
You'll need to hook up 5V & GND to the main board (lots of connections to spread the load of all that current)
Note - for the 5V & GND to the main board - you'll want to take directly from the PSU and not from the JAMMA edge - it's too much current for that contact size apparently, it'll work but will just cause you a world of pain in the long run.
Connect the main board to the I/O board (RX and TX and RX and TX GND)
5V and GND to the I/O board
1P and 2P, Test and Service buttons to the main board (JST connector and 50pin AMP connector)
Video is a separate connector - other than being 24Khz - there's nothing funny about it

At this point, you should have graphics and controls - the main board won't boot until it's connected to a powered I/O board properly - just a blue screen

Connect the main board to the sound board (RX and TX and RX and TX GND)
12V, 5V and GND to the sound board
Mix the line level sound of the two layers of the sound board together (can use a resistor or a proper mixer circuit) - one has SFX, one has music
Put the mixed line-level into a mini amp (you'll have to power the AMP - I used a 12V amp)
Connect the amp to stereo speakers
If you want to output mono, you'll have to mix the left and right line level before amplifying and connect to a single speaker

I think we have scared GamingDoyle enough lol
Yeah I actually found the amp fairly cheap but I’d already stopped the sale so, meh. Not sure it’s ultimately worth it since while VF is great if I’m going to spend the time and money Id rather it was VF2 since that’s my favorite

Ha well this fool just bought a model 1 cage. Thanks for all your advice above hopefully I can get it fired up. I still need to find a sound board for it though. Think I’ll take baby steps and get power wired in and RGBS out and see if I can get it to boot. Anyone have a rec for an arcade power supply? Previously on my supergun for jamma stuff I was just using an ATX pc power supply but for this I think I’ll want something better like a mean well or happ. Any specific model @ItsBobDudes that you recommend? Thanks!

you might want to check out this thread.

....and since I'm a gluton for punishment, I have 4 virtua fighter 1 boards that @Barth0lin0 and me will also try to match with Virtua Racing boards I/o sound / all that stuff very soon .. so we'll post here as well !

I actually power the Model 1 I/O on an New Astro City PSU via a JAMMA finger board, and power the game board, sound board, stereo amp using a Happ.

If you don't have the original wire loom that goes from the filter board to the sound board check out this THREAD.

you might want to check out this thread.

....and since I'm a gluton for punishment, I have 4 virtua fighter 1 boards that @Barth0lin0 and me will also try to match with Virtua Racing boards I/o sound / all that stuff very soon .. so we'll post here as well !
Yes ! That 50 pounds box full of pcb is coming for us !

It's more, do you want to deal with someone blatantly lying by saying sound works when sound board is missing?
What else could he be hidding?
That's why it depends heavily on how much they are asking. If it is cheap enough, who cares what they are hiding? Buyer beware for sure though.

Back