What's new
That's why it depends heavily on how much they are asking. If it is cheap enough, who cares what they are hiding? Buyer beware for sure though.
I wouldn't even pay $1 for something that's unrepairable. I don't need a paperweight in the shape of a Model 1.

I wouldn't even pay $1 for something that's unrepairable. I don't need a paperweight in the shape of a Model 1.
Totally understandable. Model 1 and all the stuff that comes with it isn't for everyone.

Yeah fingers crossed it’s not a paper weight. Will see when it arrives. Thanks for all the info and commentary, I think it will be fun to give it a go even if it’s a failure ;)

It’s alive! No sound or controls yet and just a hot mess of cables and the rgbs to the gbs are loosely-goosey (it’s not always that red if I touch the cables, need to get a real connector right now it’s just the molex pins set over those GBS pins and they don’t fit) but I wanted to get it at least booting and see something since the packing by the seller was just strips of cardboard taped to the cage. (Yikes)

40C7CC15-7664-4E3C-AA58-FB1969C0B148.jpeg

Bought a sound board and it’s powered / wired and hooked up to some speakers, should audio play by default in attract mode? I don’t have controls yet to trigger a coin button to see. Do the buttons on the IO board just behind the filter board trigger coins/service menu? I can’t Google any docs on them yet and am wary to press random buttons with no manual. Maybe I will try to find the coin pin on the harness and touch it to ground tomorrow. What connector works with the GBS 8200 RGBS pins or does anyone know if I should somehow wire through VGA connector instead? I’m using those pins as input on the GBS since the sync output from the model 1 filter board is composite so it seemed like the best option, happy to be told I’m dumb and x is better. Thanks!

You have an amp connected to the sound board? The RCA connectors are also live

What does the RCA connectors being live mean? Like the two unmixed sets? I don’t have an amp, just plugged the RCA output from the little mixer board directly into some powered computer speakers. I figured they are amplified speakers so I should hear something? Or is that wrong? When I power down the system they make kind of a noise like they were powered and then shut down (not sure how to describe it well, like it seems like if only some audio was playing it would be loud if that makes sense?)

Got blinking lights on the sound board ?

Live meaning you can use the RCA connectors for sound. Use a Y cable to mix the music and sound effects.

Also was the sound board from a VF? or from a differnt model 1 game ?

It’s supposed to be VF according to the seller but I’m not sure how to tell. Thanks a lot for answering my questions, I’m going to try poking at it again in the AM. I like the idea of checking it upstream on those rca jacks. Thanks again!

The numbers on the ROMs should give you some indication. EPR 16120 and 16121 ?

Those are correct roms, and it works!!! I used the buttons on the IO board to enter the service menu and turn “advertise sound on”. So sure enough it was because of no sound on attract mode, ha. Thanks again, I am psyched. Now I need to fix that janky RGB connection and get some controls going

I’m kind of amazed this came together. The cage was shipped with cardboard taped to it for packing (kudos to Sega engineers for building a cage that could withstand being shipped like that), the wiring harness came from a dude in the south and the sound board from the mid-west. Now I need to figure out how to make the connection to the GBS solid and see why GBS-C alternate firmware mod doesn’t work (had to flip back to the stock) before moving on to controls and deciding where all this will live. For controls I’d feel bad cutting up the original wiring harness so maybe I can make something new that’s less spaghetti-wire-apocalypse.

You just need the 25pin JST connector, wire, pins, a crimper and some patience to make a loom. It is still going to be a mess of wires though. I have a few spare JAMMA finger boards if you want to do your controls through JAMMA.

sometimes you can get lucky and someone sells a model1 or 2 or 3 loom on ebay from a stripped cab.
infact try asking the cage seller if they stripped out the loom!

You just need the 25pin JST connector, wire, pins, a crimper and some patience to make a loom. It is still going to be a mess of wires though. I have a few spare JAMMA finger boards if you want to do your controls through JAMMA.
Thanks a lot, I might go jamma and try passing it through my supergun, see what that’s like. I don’t actually have a jamma can so that’s how I would use it

I’m kind of amazed this came together. The cage was shipped with cardboard taped to it for packing (kudos to Sega engineers for building a cage that could withstand being shipped like that), the wiring harness came from a dude in the south and the sound board from the mid-west. Now I need to figure out how to make the connection to the GBS solid and see why GBS-C alternate firmware mod doesn’t work (had to flip back to the stock) before moving on to controls and deciding where all this will live. For controls I’d feel bad cutting up the original wiring harness so maybe I can make something new that’s less spaghetti-wire-apocalypse.
So you know how I mentioned the screen being washed out and getting fixed by touching the wire so I thought it was my jank rgbs connection? Nope, it’s the GBS. You need to set clamp sp and clamp st in the geometry settings for medium resolution games or it washes out:

View: https://youtu.be/V9rrQOc4IUY

Back