What's new
Recently picked up a model 3 step 2 full setup with cage including virtura striker 99. Going to burn a set of roms for Fighting Vipers 2. But heres my question, can I also make a rom set for star wars trilogy and have it working on my step 2.0 even though its a step 2.1 game?

Step 2.0 and Step 2.1 games are cross compatible, but as nem said both games have a security board, so you'll either need a security board matched to the game, or you'll need to crack the game code to run without the security board.

Star Wars Trilogy also uses the DSB2 module for music (it's a separate box from the Model 3 unit). so unless you have one of those you'll get no music in Star Wars. Someone recently designed an arduino based clone of this though which could prove useful: https://www.arcade-projects.com/threads/dsb-clone-digital-sound-board-sega.17832/

Hi,
I want to update the Scud Race game to Scud Race plus.
I have already ordered Eprom etc.
I want to ask someone who owns this game or can take a picture of the deployment (Epr, Mpr)? on the Scud Race plus, so that I can place it correctly?

Well thank you

Last edited:
mpr-20097.13
mpr-20098.14
mpr-20099.15
mpr-20100.16
epr-20092a.17
epr-20093a.18
epr-20094a.19
epr-20095a.20
epr-20096a.21
mpr-20101.24

The last two digits tell which socket the chip is placed in.

Thank you, that's great.
I got these exactly (ten) uploaded and bought at (buyicnow.com).
So I'll wait for about a month for delivery(China).
When they come, I already know how to settle them.
Thank you (nem). I really appreciate it.

So, on Harley-Davidson & LA Riders I have tried only using the Rear Brake Pedal control (pin 9 on CN1) which helps you drift in the game, but when I do leave the front brake disconnected, the rear brake begins to go full-on in the game when I twist the throttle. All pot-based Model 2/3 games do this I noticed. On my M3 driving game DB15 breakout I have the front and rear brakes tied together, but I've also been told I could use a Dupont connector to short the Front Brake input to a ground. Is this true? I have finished all 5 checkpoints with all bikes plenty of times on the hardest difficulty, using both brakes tied and manual transmission, so it is still playable but it would be nicer to isolate them and get higher scores.
Edit: I can confirm you indeed need to short the input to a ground. Works excellent with Dupont wires.

Last edited:
I've recently got first The House of the Dead (Model 2) and I'm trying to get it hooked up. Could someone tell me what these connectors are called?

The power connector is different (far left of the second photo) but I chopped that off and replaced it with a standard power supply molex connector, but I'd like to keep the others intact so want to know their name so I can get appropriate female versions. From there I can wire them up to a vga connector, rca for audio, buttons etc.

Also in the second photo top right you can see the gun connector, it looks like I need this, a molex series 2163
https://www.digikey.com/en/products/detail/molex/0003092049/61303
or am I wrong?

Attachments

• 20220517_141126.jpg
    20220517_141126.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 75
  • DSC02750e.jpg
    DSC02750e.jpg
    141.5 KB · Views: 80
Looks those are AMP UP connectors. They're used on a lot of Sega cabinets. They snap in place with a momentary lock. You could also try finding harnesses from other Sega games that use the same connector and solder them on, which I've done in the past, or crimp them with a Hozan crimper like I have.
BTW, nice HotD1. Yours has the metal box. With the remakes it's probably the most sought after PCB right now. It's definitely on my want list, but they are a little pricey. I don't exactly want to swap just the ROM board into my Waverunner set as I want all my Model 2s and 3s as full boardsets, and I've lost some of the standoff legs in the past.

I need help bad. I bought the wrong harness off YAJ (Sega Model3) and I need the Sega Model 2 harness. I have Virtua Fighter 2 and 3(also 1 but that I'm not going to look into just yet)
I'm trying to set it up in a Blast City.
Any help is appreciated.

Virtua fighter 3 is model 3 and the first game to be release FOR the blast city.

If you bought a model 3 harness, you are golden no? Can you post pictures? Else i’ll show you what i did to put my VF3 in my blast

The Model 2A/2B/2C shares MOST of the same harness as the Model 3
Audio, Video, Digital IO and Analog IO are all the same (though Connector numbers are different foe each variant of the hardware).

The biggest difference is the power connectors.
Model 2 uses three 11-pin connectors with 5V and Ground, while Model 3 has only one of these connector, plus it also has a large connector with 3.3V, 5V and Ground.
Model 2 also have a 12V fan that is powered by a 2-pin molex connector

Model 3 also has BOTH a 5-pin video header and a VGA connector (not VGA Resolution it's still 24KHz RGB), while Model 2 ONLY has the 5-pin header.
Model 3 has a 12V fan that has an internal modex connector but power is routed through a 3-pin connector on the filter-board

So if you want to run Model 2 in a blast.
1. Start with a Model 3 Harness
2. you may or may not need to adapt the Video connector (unsure which connector the harness uses).
3. you then also need to ADD 2 additional 11-pin 5V/Ground power connectors.
4. You will need to adapt to the Model 2 fan connector

Filter-board Pinouts can be seen here: https://www.arcade-projects.com/threads/sega-model-2-and-model-3-filter-board-pinouts.1121/

I do have the sega model 3 harness and got my Model 3 going. I did read everything you wrote twistedsymphony, but how would I make the adapters for the +5v from the model 3 harness for model 2? I'm confused by that. Not sure which adapters I'd need or how to do it. Do I splice them on the yellow and white wires? 🤔

Virtua fighter 3 is model 3 and the first game to be release FOR the blast city.

If you bought a model 3 harness, you are golden no? Can you post pictures? Else i’ll show you what i did to put my VF3 in my blast
Yes, after messing with my stuff I plugged in my VF3 to my Blast w/my sega Model 3 harness and it booter right up!

Attachments

• 20220517_224108.jpg
    20220517_224108.jpg
    123.3 KB · Views: 82
Back