What's new
Something occurred to me--given I know nothing about CRT projection-based displays, but somebody told me that the rear projection monitors in the Deluxe cabinets for the respective M2/3 titles were not 24khz and instead the cabinet relied on this PCB that allows the game to be displayed on the projector, downscaling the video to 15khz? Is this true?
(Not my photo; just a copy of the aforementioned board)

Attachments

• 20230214_232558.jpg
    20230214_232558.jpg
    130.2 KB · Views: 71
Not true.

That board is for making the video levels safe for the RPTV. Model 2/3 output high impedance video.

I’m working on restoring a Virtua Cop 2 and I ended up botching a wire repair on the wire that runs from the game board to the audio amp. Does anyone have a spare or know where I can purchase a replacement? Here’s a photo of the wire (before I messed up lol).

Attachments

• D8236DD4-8288-4FC6-9A9A-56109A592146.jpeg
    D8236DD4-8288-4FC6-9A9A-56109A592146.jpeg
    115.6 KB · Views: 75
wire repair on the wire that runs from the game board to the audio amp
What's broken? You can just join the wire together with solder or a crimp or whatever. The connector on the sega side is JST NH if you want to rebuild the cable entirely. It as probably 22awg wire plus or minus.

https://www.arcadepartsandrepair.co...ctors/4-pin-098-jst-connector-housing-jn1001/
https://www.arcadepartsandrepair.co...ns-female-22-28-awg-cut-strip-10-pack-jn1016/

@dos would probably make one, custom (just let him know what's on the other side...)

Hi, I got a Sega model 2B CRX with GunBlade game for free from a friend.
After starting the game, it only showed a white screen.
I replaced all capacitors (47uf, 100uf, 10uf, 470uf and supercap)
I cleaned all the pins on the Eprom, some were broken, I soldered them.
And the game starts and is playable, it just has a special problem.
The helicopter flies in the buildings (That's not right) and in the third mission (the ship).
The enemies themselves fall into the water and you win without a shot..

I suspect a damaged one (EEProm or Romboard)
Graphics and sound are ok.
Does anyone know which part of Romboard is causing this?
I know this is a difficult answer, but if anyone had a similar problem...

cmos roms
Program roms
Data roms
Texture roms
TGP roms ????

Attachments

• IMG_20230328_122646.jpg
    IMG_20230328_122646.jpg
    341.4 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_20230328_122402.jpg
    IMG_20230328_122402.jpg
    152.4 KB · Views: 60
Does anyone know which part of Romboard is causing this?
The test mode should run a test on the program roms, but if you have a programmer to check the code it's not that much trouble to just validate them all against the mame set. Also in your photo there are two chips with the same label, so that's a little weird. 18989a

Thank you for the answer,

In this GunBlade game, the test is quite limited, it controls only IC and checks all of them correctly.
I changed the labels myself, those floods were ugly, just pieces of paper with a number.
I printed the same number twice, but I tried to switch them between them (Epr) and it didn't help.
I also checked the jumpers on the Romboard according to the image on google and they are ok
The only option is to buy a programmer and check the CRC with Mame.
And upload damaged,
Thank you very much for the answer.:)

While we're on the subject of ROM Boards, I had successfully converted my Virtua Striker 2 '99 ROM board to Emergency Call Ambulance after changing the jumpers.
I burned the Japanese program ROMs, but as I was booting the software into my Daytona 2 stack, it had shown a "Network failed" message and stood to that screen for about 2 minutes until the game finally loaded up. Supermodel has been coded for the game to skip this screen via the Games.xml.
Is there a way I could patch this message to be skipped on real hardware? Temporarily using it in my Daytona 2 stack until my spare Harley-Davidson arrives, which I will be using a donor board since I already have LA Riders in my collection.
Special shoutout to Vamino/Ringo of UKVac (Ian) for selling me his ECA security chip, required for the game to boot.

Attachments

• 20230329_162629.jpg
    20230329_162629.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 68
  • 20230329_161620.jpg
    20230329_161620.jpg
    112.9 KB · Views: 71
  • 20230329_211337.jpg
    20230329_211337.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 69
While we're on the subject of ROM Boards, I had successfully converted my Virtua Striker 2 '99 ROM board to Emergency Call Ambulance after changing the jumpers.
I burned the Japanese program ROMs, but as I was booting the software into my Daytona 2 stack, it had shown a "Network failed" message and stood to that screen for about 2 minutes until the game finally loaded up. Supermodel has been coded for the game to skip this screen via the Games.xml.
Is there a way I could patch this message to be skipped on real hardware? Temporarily using it in my Daytona 2 stack until my spare Harley-Davidson arrives, which I will be using a donor board since I already have LA Riders in my collection.
Special shoutout to Vamino/Ringo of UKVac (Ian) for selling me his ECA security chip, required for the game to boot.
Glad the package arrived OK.

No idea why it's doing that, mine boots straight up as you can see in my YT ECA attract video.

Are your jumpers set the same as in the following (blurry!) pic?
Is the network board attached?

Attachments

• ECA_Jumper.jpg
    ECA_Jumper.jpg
    179.6 KB · Views: 59
Last edited:
Is the network board attached?
Whoa snap! That's supposed to be removed? I had thought about that earlier. It makes sense since yours seems to be the dedicated stack. Sega sold some ECA chips and the sec board as a conversion kit for D2. Maybe I'll try removing it from the Harley tomorrow if all goes to plan.

Last edited:
Well, I got the Harley in Friday and swapped the ROM board out with the security chip in place, and unfortunately with the network board removed, ECA still boots with the Cabinet Network Error.

Maybe this game requires the Drive Board to be connected just like the real cabinet?

My wheel and pedal setup is a modded Microsoft Sidewinder PC wheel (I literally use it every day) so there's no force feedback but it has a great spring resistance and clamping system.

On another note, the only downside is that the pots on the Microsoft wheel don't have the strongest ranges. The pedals travel from about 48H to B3H and the wheel centers at around 7DH. I know Sega Rally on M2A is picky about what value the pots need to be set to for calibration (under 30H up to over C0H for pedals). Daytona 2 and Scud Race play fine, however.
Maybe the Happ Pot Amplifier Board will fix this? I'd like to adjust these pots without taking them apart if I could. I think they are D-shaft pots so they snap in one way.

The Model 2B/2C filter board has two unused connectors on CN7 and CN15 that seem to bond together. 2A has these in a different spot also.
I put my House of the Dead in the much nicer Model 3 cage which uses NH connectors for the fan. After having chips in other Model 2s fail from overheating, I decided to put my Curien Mansion under the shade and install two connectors and two jumpers for the fans on my Model 2C's filter board.

If you have your Lost World Jurassic Park machine modded to use the Type 1 Gun I/O (Happ guns), I recommend doing this so you can play HOD in the machine. You will need to unbind a couple of the cord clamps that hold the two wires for the fan inside the M3 cage to reduce strain. Fortunately, this mod has not touched or fried anything on my HOD.

Attachments

• 20231130_191126.jpg
    20231130_191126.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 35
  • 20231130_191134.jpg
    20231130_191134.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 36
  • 20231130_192434.jpg
    20231130_192434.jpg
    141.3 KB · Views: 35
Hi,
I have more Model 2 and 3 games
But, I have one game on Sega model 3 (Scud race) and one game on Model 2 (indy 500), which cause a small problem..
These two work well, only the supercapacitor on them constantly discharges and the results (table with results) are deleted in a few hours.

I tried to put a new one (supercapacitor) and battery (3V, model 3) but it didn't help...

Can someone advise which component causes this, diode, resistor, memory or?
It will probably be difficult to advise, but if someone had a similar problem and solved it, maybe they can help...
Well thank you

Hi,

I know that this will be very difficult to answer.
Because I can't find anything on the internet about the reproduction of this small Sega board (gunBoard), which is used on the Model 2.
This board is used on the games Virtua cop 2, House of the death and can also be used on Model 3 (lost world) with cable adjustment..
Without this board, the game (Model 2) will not boot at all.

Works only with CRT and Happ gun.
It uses the RS422 port for connection.
I want to try to make something that would trick this RS422 port and the game would start.

I know that there is an IONA converter board (JVS), only it is for the newer Naomi system, etc.

Has anyone tried to connect this IONA (JVS) to the RS422 port (Model 2,3) ?
How to connect pins (RX+, RX-, TX+, TX-, GND) to this IONA, which has 4 JVS pins (Sense, Data+, Data-, GND) ?

If IONA could communicate with the RS 422 port (model 2,3), then maybe it would be enough to make something like this.

https://github.com/ninomegadriver/lightgun/tree/main/sexmachine

Does anyone have experience and have done something similar on a Sega Model 2.3 ?

Otherwise, there is nothing that could replace this original small Sega gunboard.

Hi,
I have more Model 2 and 3 games
But, I have one game on Sega model 3 (Scud race) and one game on Model 2 (indy 500), which cause a small problem..
These two work well, only the supercapacitor on them constantly discharges and the results (table with results) are deleted in a few hours.

I tried to put a new one (supercapacitor) and battery (3V, model 3) but it didn't help...

Can someone advise which component causes this, diode, resistor, memory or?
It will probably be difficult to advise, but if someone had a similar problem and solved it, maybe they can help...
Well thank you
Hi,

I solved this problem like this..
I used two rechargeable batteries (1.5v).
I put two batteries in series so that they are together (3V)
I connected primo, from the bottom side to the pins (Supercap)
I left the supercap connected
I left the game off for a week and the high score remained saved,
After a week, the batteries dropped from (3V to 2.9V)
Batteries are charged while playing.
It's working fine so far

Attachments

• ad903-puzdro-pre-2xaa.jpg
    ad903-puzdro-pre-2xaa.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 16
  • cf009b62cc45d49452a2c24b3e9d8d9d7946c3fe_original.jpeg
    cf009b62cc45d49452a2c24b3e9d8d9d7946c3fe_original.jpeg
    45.9 KB · Views: 18
Back