What's new
I just bought a 2 pack of the regulators that you linked... wish me luck.

@BladeZX are you only using the 8 pin power cable or did you have to break out wires and a new header for the 6 pin too?

Just the 8pin cable from the IO board to the 8 pin on the naomi
Just fired it up again this morning and working perfect

Here are some pics - hope they help
If u need some other pics let me know

Attachments

• naomi1.jpg
    naomi1.jpg
    158.8 KB · Views: 245
  • naomi2.jpg
    naomi2.jpg
    247.9 KB · Views: 233
  • naomi3.jpg
    naomi3.jpg
    164.6 KB · Views: 231
But that converter has a maximum output of 20W, according to the ohm law 20W / 3.3 = 6.06A, even so the Naomi asks for 12A to power the console and its peripherals (Netdimm), I think it is not enough, and I read that the Capcom I / Or it delivers 7A in its 3.3v. 🤔

Well I can tell u that it seems to work fine for me and I have left it running for a few hours - no issues

Anyone have a link to the Sun PSU? Would a regular PC PSU work with the right cable adapter?

How's this solution working out for you? The sun psu's are hard to find.
Assuming your ATX PSU has enough amps on 5 and 3.3v, and maintains a proper voltage level on those rails, it should work fine. The NAOMI is a bit picky (and catches a rep for it) because it needs good 5v and 3.3v to function properly, and as you probably know, the capcom IO cannot provide enough 3.3v in particular [beyond a cartridge game]. If caps start to go on a SUN PSU and the load that it can handle starts to suffer, you can run into intermittent issues, crashes only with certain games that tax the processor, etc. Anyway... today, if I had a nice ATX sitting around, I probably wouldn't hesitate to try that harness. As long as 5v doesn't read above 5.15 at the NAOMI with a volt meter (especially not above 5.2) you should be fine.

Thanks. I'm still trying to device whether I'll go with the ATX supply or modding the voltage regulator on the Capcom I/O. Because using an ATX supply will be hard to use on one of my cabs, I'm leaning towards modifying the Capcom I/O. I have enough skills that replacing the voltage regulator shouldn't be a problem.

Thanks. I'm still trying to device whether I'll go with the ATX supply or modding the voltage regulator on the Capcom I/O. Because using an ATX supply will be hard to use on one of my cabs, I'm leaning towards modifying the Capcom I/O. I have enough skills that replacing the voltage regulator shouldn't be a problem.

I did that on my Capcom JVS with a voltage regulator that @BladeZX pointed out it was pretty good for Naomi 1, although I played Virtua Fighter 4 on Noami 2 for 45min and the 3.3v voltage regulator board turned off and was too hot.

Attachments

• 20220509_203711_copy_908x2016.jpg
    20220509_203711_copy_908x2016.jpg
    151.3 KB · Views: 98
  • 20220509_203733_copy_2016x908.jpg
    20220509_203733_copy_2016x908.jpg
    108.3 KB · Views: 101
I was thinking of doing that on my 2nd Capcom io. Good to know it's not that capable on a Naomi2. I should try doing that VF4 on my picopsu mod I did awhile back

I was thinking of doing that on my 2nd Capcom io. Good to know it's not that capable on a Naomi2. I should try doing that VF4 on my picopsu mod I did awhile back
it is that of course it only happens with Naomi 2 games since in Naomi 1/Atomiswave games in Naomi 2 they work perfectly at a stable temperature of approximately 40-50 ° and played a maximum of 2 hours

but I think that dissipation and ventilation is missing in that voltage regulator so that it can work better with Naomi 2

Last edited:
Back