What's new

EluVKV

Beginner
Reaction score
Long time lurker and Naomi fan. I recently repaired a defective Naomi 1 by replacing a defective fan with Noctua NF-A4x10 5V and it was up and running. Recently, I was able to get my hands on a really, cheap priced defective Naomi motherboard complete with case (Doesn't hurt to have a spare working Naomi :D ). The only missing items are the case fan and heat sink and fan. I know I can just purchase another Noctua fan to make it run, but the heat sink was completely removed from the board. Is there any to purchase just the heat sink online? I think the measurements are 44mmx44mmx14mm? But running a search on mouser and digikey I couldn't find one that matched the one in the Naomi. The heat sink has a 14mm on the outside, but less than that on the inside that I just rest the Noctua fan inside instead of on top. If I can't locate a heat sink for the Naomi, is it possible to just run it without one? Thanks!

I imagine you'd be fine with a heatsink of similar dimensions.

Keep in mind these boards where designed to run 8 ~ 16 hours a day inside of a hot arcade. So even if the replacement heatsink isnt as efficient/large, you'd more than likely be ok.

I highly recommend not to run a Naomi or any "modern" CPU or Chipset for that matter without a heat sink. The manufacturer specifically put it there for good reason. You could ruin the chip if it cannot cool correctly.

So you have two options.
- You could find some sort of suitable cooling solution on say digikey .

- You could stick to the original heat sink and fan.
I personally at the very least would stick to the original heat sink the manufacture put on the chip.
(the fan isn't as important as long as it can cool the heat sink)

There may be specific thermal requirements that you would need to meet to ensure the chip stays cool.

A quick ebay search came up with this guy who has multiple dead Naomi boards:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/ERROR-01-n...cade-VIDEO-game-board-PCB-C88A-4/153632591061

I would message him and ask him if he can
A) sell you just the fan and heat sink
B) work out a deal on the board (if 35 + shipping is too much for you)

Those are my suggestions. I wish you the best of luck :)

Back